Stenotic Nares? Elongated Soft Palate? Nasal Polyps?

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little backstory: My cat Dendi has always had noisy breathing ( during inhalation only) since he was born. I rescued him, along with his momma, and 6 brothers, and sisters from a bush almost two years ago now. He has been fixed/vaccinated, and tested for felv/fiv and all that. All were negative. About 6 months ago I took him into the vet because his noisy breathing was really concerning me. Well I took him into my regular vet, and she did an exam and when she applied slight pressure to this throat area he began to cough and wheeze, and she gave him a shot of methylprednisolone (which did nothing), and sent me off to another vet for x-rays, but didn't say much else. Well I go to the other vet and have xrays done, and all she tells me is she doesn't see anything, and 400 dollars later tells me he might have mild asthma. I'm going to be taking him back soon to ask about being tested for the things I listed above, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? He has been this way since he was a baby, and it only occurs when he inhales. It's a low pitched snoring type sound, and he doesn't show any other signs of anything like sneezing,nasal discharge, head shaking ect. He doesn't act bothered by it, and it doesn't seem to slow him down at all he has a big appetite, and loves to run, and play. Now his momma was a strange looking cat. She was small, and had a very tiny head compared to her body. He also has a smaller head so do you think maybe it's something to do with that? I'm just so confused. I put some photos of him :)

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, let me say the pic of you holding Dendi in your arms is precious. :redheartpump: I'm sorry he is having health problems. I'm glad you have followed through taking him to the vet albeit not getting any specific answers. Although I do not have any personal experience with this health issue I wanted to recommend this helpful Article: Asthmatic Cats
Perhaps other members with similar experience(s) can weigh in on this health problem. Best of luck when you take Dendi back to the vet for a return visit. Please keep us posted. :alright:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute boy :)

I have a cat that has a mild case of Asthma. He is not on meds. The vet had me do some things at home that have worked quite well.

My guy cannot deal with clay litter, at all. Even the most dust free, scent free bothers him. I switched to a grass litter, either pioneer pet, or Abound that i get from Kroger. I also use Litter maid walnut litter that i get from Walmart. these are both dust and fragrance free. Switching to a dust free, fragrance free litter has i think made the biggest best change in him.

I also dust and vacuum a lot :) i was all cat bedding weekly. I use only eco friendly and unscented cleaners and laundry detergents. I did away with all candles, wall plugins, air spray, that kind of thing.

Going as dust free, fragrance free with everything in my home has controlled all of his symptoms. at least for now, he has been wheeze and hack free for almost 2 years now :) Added bonus is it helped my husband a lot as well.

Keep working with your vet, and maybe try some things at home to see if it helps. Best luck~