Stella & Chewy beef?

Dimple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to see if anyone has any info/experience with feeding this to their cats. Transitioning to full raw (I'm currently doing just commercial), my 8 month old is on the Stella & Chewys rabbit morsel but I just found it has high bone content. She's potentially intolerant to poultry so I was looking at the beef, its ingredients is listed as:
Beef, beef heart, beef kidney, beef liver, beef tripe, beef bone, potassium chloride etc.

The rabbit has the first ingredient listed as rabbit with ground bone, I'm wondering if maybe the beef has less bone content seeing as the bone is listed further down?

I'm also looking into other brands and have ordered northwest naturals rabbit, and fresh is best pork to try! It'd be great to prepare her food myself but for now I don't have the capacity to, hopefully in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dimple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question I had, I saw some users here post that you could add extra meat to reduce the ratio of bone. I saw some freeze dried raw rabbit "treats" that are just meat only, would supplementing with that be an option? I'm guessing the downside is less nutrition?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
A few years ago, I contacted both Stella & Chewy and Northwest Naturals to ask about bone content. S&C said theirs was about 10% while NWN said 7%. So while mine really liked S&C, especially the Duck Duck Goose, I’ve been feeding NWN. They have a Beef and Trout and a Rabbit if you’re looking for non-poultry choices. And she might be able to do duck. Chicken is more commonly a problem than duck. My info isn’t new so you might try reaching out to both to check the current stats.

As I understand it, the rule of thumb is that less than 10% of their meals can be unsupplemented.

Dimple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Tobermory, the 10% rule is good to know. I am going to give NWN a go, and I eventually want to introduce her to other proteins to give myself some more options. I've just found out about another brand called Small batch which sounds good too! I'll try reach out to them.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I've just found out about another brand called Small batch which sounds good too!
I’ve tried Small Batch. It seems to be a decent food, but mine weren’t thrilled with it. :)

I looked at the ingredients in Fresh Is Best pork. Yams, apples, collard greens, and kale near the top of the ingredient list?? This is for cats, right? Obligate carnivores? Hmm.

Dimple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had considered it as it was boneless, but that's a good point! There are threads here that recommended it, but I'll look more into it.