Stella and Chewy's for a cat with FLUTD

eaumond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since his incident with a blockage I have done everything my vet suggested, but when my vet said no to raw feeding I was a bit confused. I have my female cat on a commercial raw diet, I'm comfortable with it, but I am really hoping my male cat will be able to join the raw food diet too. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Opinions (especially in the veterinary community) are strongly divided on raw feeding. Personally, when well and responsibly done, I think it's one of the best things you can do for your cat. There are many members here who've had great success raw feeding FLUTD cats. I, however, have an FLUTD cat who refuses point blank to eat raw :rolleyes:

You might find this site interesting http://www.catinfo.org

This article is helpful too http://www.thecatsite.com/a/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease-flutd

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since his incident with a blockage I have done everything my vet suggested, but when my vet said no to raw feeding I was a bit confused. I have my female cat on a commercial raw diet, I'm comfortable with it, but I am really hoping my male cat will be able to join the raw food diet too. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks!
Do you have more than one cat?  did your Vet say "no" to just the one cat on raw, or to ALL of your cats?  I completely agree with Columbine that there should be no reason why there should be an issue with feeding raw as long as it's 100% nutritionally complete, which I believe ALL Stella and Chewy's meals are.  And you're proposing using the Frozen ones, not the freeze dried meals, correct?  If you were to use the freeze dried meals, then I could see why your Vet might object, unless you assured him you would be reconstituting them with plenty of water. (I use the freeze dried S & C as treats only, as they won't eat it if I rehydrate it
)

Did you question your Vet as to what his/her objections were?  As Columbine suggested, many Vets are simply against raw in general, but when questions, they can't really tell you why .  I have a kidney cat, and my Vet asked me about a million questions about her raw diet, then conceded that it was fine as long as I substituted eggshell powder for bone as her source of calcium due to phosporus levels in bone.  So after much discussion, I got her to understand the benefits of raw feeding
.  (or at see MY way of thinking for MY cats
)  'Course, just as in the case of Columbine, MY cat decided she didn't like raw anymore, so it was a mute point

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eaumond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the right amount of water that is written in the instructions on the package, if not a little more than needed because I'm always scared of a re-block, my boy Orion loves the stuff, he loves it more than Tiki cat (chicken of course) I just started to feed it to him and he really really likes it, I'm just concerned, because of my vet. She was highly against any use of raw feeding with my cats, because she felt raw feeding would have too many minerals in the diet.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

. She was highly against any use of raw feeding with my cats, because she felt raw feeding would have too many minerals in the diet.
So she is against ANY raw for this reason?  And against feeding it to any of your cats?  I think this is what you are saying, but just wanted clarification.  

eaumond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she said to me and my boyfriend not to feed it to either of our cats. (no raw diets at all) This is a vet clinic that has rotating doctors, so it really might have just been her opinion. The other vet we had worked with wasn't really sure if we should or not. 

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've fed my male cat that blocked, Whiskers, a Raw/Canned food diet, some days raw and some days canned. He has done very well. I feed either Friskies or Special Kitty. I make my own raw food according to Dr Pierson's recipe on www.Catinfo.org

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I've fed my male cat that blocked, Whiskers, a Raw/Canned food diet, some days raw and some days canned. He has done very well. I feed either Friskies or Special Kitty. I make my own raw food according to Dr Pierson's recipe on www.Catinfo.org
I see nothing at all wrong with feeding a mix of raw and canned, or all raw to a FLUTD cat.  I, personally, would just steer clear of feeding dry food.

eaumond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah.. When he was blocked he was on a partial wet and dry mix, so it was really disappointing when I found out they were trying to send me home with a big bag of dry royal canine SO. I was like 'no" right away. But, I am thinking of investing in a grinder and starting to make my own food. Do you have any experience with the cost difference?

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hee's an article written by one of our members on the costs analysis of feeding different foods:  http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and...y-cat-or-i-can-afford-to-feed-commercial-raw/

Then you can refer to this thread for all kinds of helpful tools if you want to make your own.  I never even used a grinder when I was feeding raw.  I just bought already ground up meats with bones included from different sources (hare-today.com is a great source if you're in the U.S.), then added supplements, organ meats, etc.  OR, depending whether or not you live in or near a large metropolitan area, thee are usually coops that have pre-ground  mixes since feeding raw to cats and dogs is becoming so popular.  Then, again, all you need to do is add in your supplements, etc.  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264154/raw-feeding-resources