Stella And Chewy Freeze Dried

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone could help me with the amount of kcals in a cup of stella and chewys freeze dried duck. I know on the bag it says like 130 kcals/oz and I've reached out to them and they're giving me different numbers :(

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I emailed Stella & Chewy about their freeze-dried version due to a change in their packaging/food. When I asked about the ratio of meat, organ meat & bone, the lady told me it is proprietary so she couldn't tell me... and I don't really see why they would keep such a thing. And so now I'm really curious...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed Stella & Chewy about their freeze-dried version due to a change in their packaging/food. When I asked about the ratio of meat, organ meat & bone, the lady told me it is proprietary so she couldn't tell me... and I don't really see why they would keep such a thing. And so now I'm really curious...
That doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in their foods. I've always thought they were too bony and I've doubted S&C ever since they gave me identical phosphorus figures (that calculated out to very high dry matter phosphorus, something like 4%, though I don't remember exactly) for all their poultry foods.

Thank you for trying!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in their foods. I've always thought they were too bony and I've doubted S&C ever since they gave me identical phosphorus figures (that calculated out to very high dry matter phosphorus, something like 4%, though I don't remember exactly) for all their poultry foods.

Thank you for trying!
Yes, exactly! And when I asked for the new phosphorus measurement, the lady told me that they are still running lab tests and so will get back to me. Which I find so bizarre since shouldn't they have done that BEFORE they sent out the new reformulation? I feed S&C to both my cat and dog but I detest that they aren't transparent.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
When I asked about the ratio of meat, organ meat & bone, the lady told me it is proprietary so she couldn't tell me.
I have had this excuse from several raw food companies and I refuse to feed any of them. It's BS to cover something up -- likely that theres too much bone in the food.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had this excuse from several raw food companies and I refuse to feed any of them. It's BS to cover something up -- likely that theres too much bone in the food.
Yeah, I definitely found it so peculiar that they won't share it with us. It's just the percentage that we are after. What other raw food companies have you talked to? I'm honestly second-guessing about feeding S&C now /sigh

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an fyi guys: a few days ago I was at my local indy pet supply retail store in NYC. I looked at the ingredients for two, 3.5 oz bags of freeze dried Tummy Ticklin' Turkey.
One bag had new packaging with the usual ingredients, e.g., turkey and pumpkinseeds.
The bag with the old packaging had veggies in the ingredients, i.e., carrots, squash, broccoli, spinach, blueberries and other veggies and fruits.

It occurred to me later that the ingredients listed on the old bag was likely mislabeled with the ingredients belonging to SC's dog product for turkey.

I wrote to SC (on their Facebook page), to confirm if it was indeed a misprint and if those bags (I provided the lot # and best buy date) would be voluntarily recalled due to the mislabeling.

The response was "no", there would be no voluntary recall "since there was no change in the formula" and that it was "only a small number of bags" that were affected.

I also spoke with "Emily" from SC who said the mislabeled product would not be pulled,

So for those who may have bags of SC TTT with a bunch of veggies listed, the product itself is the traditional turkey with pumpkinseeds with no added veggies or fruits.

Quite frankly? I think that's very irresponsible of S&C, I don't care if it's a small number of bags or not -- per AAFCO guidelines, (whatever one thinks of AAFCO), the ingredient list on the bag should match what is inside the bag.

Also, as far as transparency, before Dr. Pierson revised her canned food TNA chart in 2017, she had raw products listed. SC was on the "not recommended" list because they would not give TNA data to her claiming "proprietary info" when all the other companies provided Dr. Pierson with the info.

Total lack of transparency, I'm glad I don't use their products.

Last edited:

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an fyi guys: a few days ago I was at my local indy pet supply retail store in NYC. I looked at the ingredients for two, 3.5 oz bags of freeze dried Tummy Ticklin' Turkey.
One bag had new packaging with the usual ingredients, e.g., turkey and pumpkinseeds.
The bag with the old packaging had veggies in the ingredients, i.e., carrots, squash, broccoli, spinach, blueberries and other veggies and fruits.

It occurred to me later that the ingredients listed on the old bag was likely mislabeled with the ingredients belonging to SC's dog product for turkey.

I wrote to SC (on their Facebook page), to confirm if it was indeed a misprint and if those bags (I provided the lot # and best buy date) would be voluntarily recalled due to the mislabeling.

The response was "no", there would be no voluntary recall "since there was no change in the formula" and that it was "only a small number of bags" that were affected.

I also spoke with "Emily" from SC who said the mislabeled product would not be pulled,

So for those who may have bags of SC TTT with a bunch of veggies listed, the product itself is the traditional turkey with pumpkinseeds with no added veggies or fruits.

Quite frankly? I think that's very irresponsible of S&C, I don't care if it's a small number of bags or not -- per AAFCO guidelines, (whatever one thinks of AAFCO), the ingredient list on the bag should match what is inside the bag.

Also, as far as transparency, before Dr. Pierson revised her canned food TNA chart in 2017, she had raw products listed. SC was on the "not recommended" list because they would not give TNA data to her claiming "proprietary info" when all the other companies provided Dr. Pierson with the info.

Total lack of transparency, I'm glad I don't use their products.
Wow. That's ridiculous. Isn't that against the law that the content doesn't match the packaging?? And it was also "Emily" that I spoke to about the phosphorus content and meat/bone/organ ratio. I had asked her when those lab tests would yield results, and she said she doesn't know. So let's see if she'll actually get back to me.

Now I have to find a similar freeze-dried to S&C. First the food was became completely different in terms of texture & color and now this.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. That's ridiculous. Isn't that against the law that the content doesn't match the packaging?? And it was also "Emily" that I spoke to about the phosphorus content and meat/bone/organ ratio. I had asked her when those lab tests would yield results, and she said she doesn't know. So let's see if she'll actually get back to me.

Now I have to find a similar freeze-dried to S&C. First the food was became completely different in terms of texture & color and now this.
Northwest Naturals is sort of similar. At least to what S&C used to be like! We use mostly Northwest Naturals turkey but the cats like the turkey, too. I can tell you that they told me the phosphorus dry matter was 1.7 for turkey and 1.2 for chicken when I wrote to them in July 2016. I don't know of anything has changed but they did get back to me with the figures!

I've used small amounts of S&C for a couple of years because the cats like it but what you and L lisamarie12 say is just crazy, making me feel like that weird call I had with them several years ago was, sadly, not even close to being an anomaly!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Northwest Naturals is sort of similar. At least to what S&C used to be like! We use mostly Northwest Naturals turkey but the cats like the turkey, too. I can tell you that they told me the phosphorus dry matter was 1.7 for turkey and 1.2 for chicken when I wrote to them in July 2016. I don't know of anything has changed but they did get back to me with the figures!

I've used small amounts of S&C for a couple of years because the cats like it but what you and L lisamarie12 say is just crazy, making me feel like that weird call I had with them several years ago was, sadly, not even close to being an anomaly!
Thanks for telling me! I've heard about that brand before but never really checked it out. It seems like they've only got two options and there isn't a store near my place. Yeah I never knew that S&C were bad in terms of lack of transparency due to the cost of the product but I guess greed always wins.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for telling me! I've heard about that brand before but never really checked it out. It seems like they've only got two options and there isn't a store near my place. Yeah I never knew that S&C were bad in terms of lack of transparency due to the cost of the product but I guess greed always wins.
Do you have any independent pet food stores near you? One of mine ordered it for me. Now another store in the area carries it regularly.

I agree about "greed" and S&C but suspect arrogance (in the "how dare you question us" form) is an even bigger part of the problem. They did get rid of peas and menadione when customers complained but they really seem to live in their own little world!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have any independent pet food stores near you? One of mine ordered it for me. Now another store in the area carries it regularly.

I agree about "greed" and S&C but suspect arrogance (in the "how dare you question us" form) is an even bigger part of the problem. They did get rid of peas and menadione when customers complained but they really seem to live in their own little world!
I have a couple, so I'll check if they are able to get it for me. But honestly most of my independent stores won't get anything new/items that are already not in their system -_- That is definitely true! You are so right.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple, so I'll check if they are able to get it for me. But honestly most of my independent stores won't get anything new/items that are already not in their system -_- That is definitely true! You are so right.
I understand! Most of our stores will special order just about anything but not stock that stuff consistently. Though one has started keeping a bag or two of freeze-dried, here and there, so I can usually find something if I need it right away. All that said, finding one store that sells everything I need is the impossible dream!!