Steam cleaners for carpet

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any ideas about a good steam cleaner for cleaning carpet?  It hasn't been cleaned in a while, mostly because I don't want to use chemicals on it that would harm the cats.  Now that Cindy has passed, I really need to do it to get the vomit and poop stains out, not to mention a general all around cleaning.  I've been reading various things, and looking at steam cleaners you can buy, but I wonder how good they really work.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'd like to do it soon, since DH is "threatening" to get another cat. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we have a Bissell pet cleaner and it works well. Rick works with it; he does the carpets and upholstered furniture about 3 times a year (and furniture also as needed when a cat pukes), but the kitchen and bathroom floors once a month. In between I mop with Bona. It is good for spots when somebody pukes and it seems to do a really good job on the furniture. The carpet isn't soaked for a long time after using it.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Bissell pet cleaner (upright) too.  I love it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Bissell Pet cleaner as well.  I don't know if they still make the one that I have.  It has the bladder inside the reclaim tank, the clean water goes in the bladder.  The cleaning solution goes inside another small plastic container.  It has a heater on it to keep the water hot but it really isn't a steam cleaner.  It does a good job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for something I use without using chemical cleaners. I have a real aversion to using chemicals.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Check the Bissell, Misty. I'm not sure, but I think you can just use it with steam to clean, too. Don't quote me on that, but check it out. I'm pretty sure that Rick uses just steam on our kitchen floor. He has used it to clean our kitchen counters, too, and that's just steam. I'm almost positive. We have the Bissell Pet X2. I'll ask him tonight.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe any of the extraction cleaners actually have a steam feature. Some have heaters but it looks like 25 degrees above tap water is about the limit. Steam would require boiling temperatures. Maybe if you put boiling water into the washwater container? Although I don't know if that's recommended---might melt the plastic.

You can use an extractor with just plain water or vinegar or other natural solution of your choice, although I imagine you might have to go over the spot a few more times than if you used a detergent. I have a fairly nice one, I forget what it is but I'll look at it when I get home. It has a separate container for the solution, auto-mixing it with the washwater, and a separate wastewater container.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a recipe for cleaning carpet that is hot water, dawn, vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide.  I am going to try that.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what we use when we clean our carpets. Works perfectly!
Good to know that!! I'm excited to try it, actually.  I'm now shopping for steam cleaners.  Leaning toward Hoover Max Extract 77 Multi-Surface Pro Carpet & Hard Floor Deep Cleaner.