Stay at home moms...I can't believe she said this!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

this co-worker of yours has the completely wrong idea of what is it is like to be a stay-at-home mom. Raising a child is the hardest, most demanding job in the world. It 's 24/7/365.
There are some women who stay home and actually "work" cooking, cleaning, laundry, looking at the kids, shopping etc. But there are also some that don't do any of that and instead spend their time on the computer or watching TV and never giving their undivided attention to their kids. I know some one like that.

So it's entirely possible that this girl knows someone like that too, or maybe her own mother was like that, and that's what she is basing her opinion on.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yosemite, the more I hear about your husband, the more I wonder... does he have a brother?
He has 4 brothers and 1 sister and they are all exceptional folks and I mean that wholeheartedly. My MIL is the sweetest woman I've ever known. Every one of us daughter-in-laws consider ourselves very lucky and blessed to be a part of this family and our one brother-in-law too of course.

Hubby isn't perfect, just like everyone else I know, but he is a wonderful man.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a professional woman who never married and never had any desire for children but I am well aware of how hard being a full time mom can be.

It's not a job I'd ever want to do.

I think it's a very personal decision to be made privately between a husband and wife-some women would be very unhappy at home and even tho most of their income goes to childcare, it's better for the children to get quality not quantity time from mom. For others its financial.

I find it rude for this woman to be commenting on someone else's personal life.
29 is not a child and too old to be this unaware.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's important for one of the parents to stay at home with the child. Those early years are very important for a child's development. It's much more enriching for a child to spend time with a parent, than to be stuck in daycare all day. I'm not a parent, but I do know that stay at home mom's do alot of work, probably more than she's doing at her regular job now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I agree, so long as they aren't taking advantage of a social system like welfare, it's their own business. If they live with the means to be able to afford to raise a family with a single family income, it's no one's business but their own.
I totally agree with you there!
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

There are some women who stay home and actually "work" cooking, cleaning, laundry, looking at the kids, shopping etc. But there are also some that don't do any of that and instead spend their time on the computer or watching TV and never giving their undivided attention to their kids. I know some one like that.

So it's entirely possible that this girl knows someone like that too, or maybe her own mother was like that, and that's what she is basing her opinion on.
You could be right there! But still, as a person without children at this point, I'm not the first one to open my mouth and express an opinion like that....so judgemental!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yosemite, the more I hear about your husband, the more I wonder... does he have a brother?
altho, the real question is, does he have a single brother who's looking?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

altho, the real question is, does he have a single brother who's looking?
Ha! Yes, Laureen, thank you for clarifying that!

And just for the record -- I'm an Aquarius and I speak fluent Canadian.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wondered how moms can be a full time worker AND parent - and vice versa - be a full time mom and not work and have enough money to make ends meet.

If i had my drother's I'd like to stay home with my child(ren) until they were school age. But I personally don't think I could stay a whole entire day with them and be sane. Maybe after doing it for a while I'd be fine but I could see myself sending them off to a baby-sitter for a couple of hours while I grocery shopped or went to the gym. I think an integral part of being a stay-at-home mom is making sure you have time for yourself during the day. I would like the stay-at-home mom situation to be the most rewarding for me and my children. I would like to be there for them in those precious years but also be able to be the wife that i've always wanted to be - keeping a place somewhat clean, having time to go to the gym, taking a nap, cooking normal meals.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stayed at home until my daughters were in school. And even then, childcare costs ate up quite a bit of my earnings. I am glad that I did because there is so much to teach the children when they are small. Plus it's much easier to nurse them on their own schedule

I was glad to be the one to teach them about ladybugs, dirt, playing with the kitties, observing ants, and the myriad of things that a busy childcare giver is hard-pressed to find time for.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admire your sister. I wish more mothers would stay at home with their kids.
I feel it makes a big difference with their upbringing. I have always wondered, why have kids if day-care and schools are going to raise them.
I realize that is not a popular opinion but its' mine.

Originally Posted by laureen227

my sister was/is a 'stay at home' mom... & they didn't have loads of money [her husband was in the service]. but they both felt that children [especially young children] benefit greatly from having a parent as a caregiver, rather that daycare. they cut corners elsewhere so that they could make this choice.
i understand that some people can't afford to choose this option - but i still think it's the best one, if it's possible.
my mom stayed home w/us until we were school age - & then she got her degree as a teacher so that we shared the same hours.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for that girl for wanting to stay home and bond with her baby if her life will allow it- there is NOTHING wrong with wanting to be a stay at home mommy and nothing wrong with working moms. I hope she's able to do what ever is best for her individual situation and family.

I plan to stop working for at least at year or two when we have our first baby. I will be put in a high risk cat. so i will not be able to work during my pregnancy once we start trying for a little one. Knowing this and having talked to our doctors- We have decided to work as much as we can now and to save up and be responsible so that when that time does come- i'll be able to take off work and we will still be able to live comfortably and care for a little one. I plan to go back to work after a year or so- but that's a personal choice as i like to work.

I see nothing wrong with stay at home moms and nothing wrong with working moms- what's best for one family may not be the best for another so for that woman to judge your pregnant coworker is really none of her business.