Static Electricity in my kitties!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

All of us were like then.

Then last week we got a humidifer for the home. It's one of those cool digital ones...turns out our house was at 25% humidity!!! Totally explains dry skin, electro static, etc.
Now we're up to 40-50% and that has helped the cats (and us) with static. Try that!
Hmmmmm....interesting. I wonder what my house is at though? I own an older home and I heat with steam heat, so you'd think the humidity wouldn't be too bad. I'll have to see if I can find something to measure the humidity before I buy a humidifier.
I was worried about rubbing them down with a dryer sheet, but sounds like others have done it (and some say safe with animals), so maybe I'll give it a try.

black&tan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean and we use a whole house humidifier. Tonight when its dark out turn off all the lights and then pet her. Its really amazing to see the sparks. lol

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
I'm digging this thread back up because the day I saw this was the first time I ever got a shock from Sleeves! I've been meaning to post but kept forgetting and then today they've been doing it to me again! and Mark touched me and did it too! Whats going on!? It has never happened with the cats before now its all the time!!
I blame this thread!!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been happening a lot to me this year. I'm blaming the new house. We have a propane heater in our basement, and a dehumidfier down there as well near the sump pump. My clothes certainly dry fast. I was wondering why Rockys fur was looking sorta funny lately, static certainly explains it. The cats also like to hang out in the basement b/c it's worm with comfy furniture.
Maybe I should invest in a humidfier for upstairs, hubby is sick, and rocky gets sick sometimes. I just feel kind of stupid humidfieing (sp) upstairs and dehumidfying downstairs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

Whats going on!? It has never happened with the cats before now its all the time!!
I blame this thread!!
MUUUAAHAAHAA.......It's me....it's all me.....my plan to take over the world using statically charged attack cats is working.....zap them my pretty's, zap them all......
hahahaha.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

MUUUAAHAAHAA.......It's me....it's all me.....my plan to take over the world using statically charged attack cats is working.....zap them my pretty's, zap them all......
hahahaha.
Oh God, this thread made me laugh so much!

When I first got my girls, they used to give me electric shocks whenever I stroked them. I don't think they felt it but I definitely did!! This went on for a while and then just stopped.

black&tan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

hahahaha.
ROFLOL

We added a new sectional sofa that is covered with the suede like fabric. Whenever anyone gets up from sitting on it they snap, crackle, and pop.

fuzzylilbatgrrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our apartment is carpeted in every room, and Pandora also likes to lay on fleece blankets, so she tends to build up static from time to time. To cut static, I use a metal flea comb designed for dogs to groom her, and if that doesn't work alone, I get just a little water on the comb. We tried a kitty-wipe for a while, but it was scented funny and she hated it. She's just fine with a water-dampened comb, though.

(We also humidify through the winter months.)

Pieces,

Joanne

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had this problem with my kitties too so I started up my humidifier and things are fine.