Starving Cat

bandito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please can anyone suggest food a cat simply can't refuse....I have tried every wet can of food, tuna, baby food, chicken, luncheon meats...etc

Thanks but I did'nt ask about going to a vet, we've been to a vet he's on his last days, I would like him to eat....again the question is any suggestions on what he might like......

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IF your cat is refusing to eat, it sounds like it needs to go to a vet - it could be sick. Please take it to a vet.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bandito

Please can anyone suggest food a cat simply can't refuse....I have tried every wet can of food, tuna, baby food, chicken, luncheon meats...etc
This becomes a serious situation very quickly...a cat actually loses it's appetite perpetuating the problem, and can develop a life threatening condition called Hepatic Lipidosis.

Please get your kitty in to the vet, and here is an excellent article on this:
Hepatic Lipidosis

best wishes with getting this puzzle solved,

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a reason he won't eat!!! Once a cat goes without food and/or water for three days (or around that), they go into kidney failure. They can die within 24 hours!!!

Please get him to the Vet, and if you can't get an appt, the ER Vet nearest you. This is a painful death. He may be blocked up somewhere internally and unable to eat. They could get the blockage out and at least get some fluids into him!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on how long the cat hasn't been eating, the age and if there are any health issues this cat will be at great risk to becoming extremely ill and yes, even dying. Could you please read the article that Pat linked to. In it, there are ways to help get a reluctant or ill cat to eat. If you could supply more information about this cat, perhaps we could also try and help but you give us so little to go on-

Also please see this website if for some reason you can't afford a vet-

http://www.emailavet.com/

vegansoprano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need to at least call your vet and inform him/her of what is going on. If your cat is known to be terminally ill, this is simply the last stage of illness. They often stop eating about a week before they die. If this is the case, make sure your cat is comfortable. If he shows signs of significant discomfort, it may be better to have him euthanized. Regardless, your vet knows your cat and his condition and history and can give you advice on how to make his last days as pleasant as possible.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks but I did'nt ask about going to a vet, we've been to a vet he's on his last days, I would like him to eat....again the question is any suggestions on what he might like......
I see you edited this to add that your cat is on his last days...I am very sorry. You may still find that you can help your cat eat a bit by using onion-free baby food, that you put on your fingertip, and gently smear on your cat's tongue. Or, you can try getting some A/D - a prescription food from your vet that is soft and very high in calories and nutrients.

It may be, depending on what is wrong, that nothing at all will help, and then I hope you'll consider if it's time to help release your cat. Some diseases can cause such a lingering death, that it is far kinder, imo, to lovingly pts them.

I know that is a very personal decision, just wanted to suggest it may be time to consider it.

Generally speaking, fishy foods that are very strong in aroma go over well, some cats prefer plain boiled chicken, some will eat with catnip sprinkled atop their food...if your cat has mouth ulcers or bad teeth/gums, then a pureed food may be easier (and the baby food I mentioned).
Plain chicken broth (made without any onions or garlic) may also be appealing.

I am sorry, I am sure this is a very painful and difficult time,

G

ghostuser

I'm sorry to hear about your baby. We lost ours when it stopped eating, and after three weeks, we found out it was because of a heart defect, and that nothing could be done.

We never could get her to eat anything when that happened. I am going to recommend you try a can of Eukanuba food. I have one cat now that refuses anything but dry food, but he goes wacky when I break out that can of Eukanuba. It's worth a shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bandito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much I really appreciate all the help, I am actually putting him down tonight at home, after a long 3 year battle with feLV...he is 14....... I like the idea of when the bad out weighs the good.....and it's been a really bad day....

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks so much I really appreciate all the help, I am actually putting him down tonight at home, after a long 3 year battle with feLV...he is 14....... I like the idea of when the bad out weighs the good.....and it's been a really bad day....

I am so sorry, I know there is nothing I can say - I went through this very, very recently. I believe we see them again, healthy and whole, and they remain, forever, in our hearts.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bandito,
I am truly sorry. I have been where you are and I, too, was agonzied over finding anything at all to have our beloved Freddie eat. My heart goes out to you and you are making the right choice to end his suffering in a dignified way. You are very loving and concerned, and I'm glad you made your way to this Forum. If it's too much to bear or you want to talk to an FeLV owner, I'm here via PM.
:gr

Elizabeth
(Freddie 11/9/03 FeLV
)

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry that you are losing your buddy. But I am grateful you are ending it early for him on a peaceful note. This is a hard time to deal with, I wish your heart strong-

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also want to express my condolenses -- we also went through this very recently and it is painful to watch them not eat or struggle to get the food down. We ended up making the same choice as you... you are doing the right thing. {{{HUGZ}}}

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bandito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Bandito,
I am truly sorry. I have been where you are and I, too, was agonzied over finding anything at all to have our beloved Freddie eat. My heart goes out to you and you are making the right choice to end his suffering in a dignified way. You are very loving and concerned, and I'm glad you made your way to this Forum. If it's too much to bear or you want to talk to an FeLV owner, I'm here via PM.
:gr

Elizabeth
(Freddie 11/9/03 FeLV
)
Thanks so much....The emptiness is pretty awful and I have another 14 year old cat and a 14 year old dog...and 2 little rats.. but it's just not the same without money.. Money was 14 and sick for three years and he was such a great cat, always talking to you, looking right into your eyes, I could just change the expression in my face and he would react...He's my first big loss and I know I have more to come with my elderly guys...I am having him cremated....I just really miss him, his personality....p.s. how do you make those pics at the bottom with your cats??? Thanks

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am so very sorry...it is never easy. I also am somewhat frustrated as i just wrote you a long response and the site hiccupped and I lost what I had written down. What I had wanted to say was the owners of senior kitties are very special people I think. You must be very brave to do so. My Sasha is 13 next month and he's used up about 8 lives so far...so if anything happened to him, even though he's robust and strong, I'd wonder if he had enough fight in him. Your first is never a nice place to be, it's awful....but it doesn't ever get any easier, that's for sure....I just know how to ease my pain and what I need to help me through, is all.

As far as the emoticons I use, make sure you access your User Control Panel, User CP above, and turn "on" the smilies option. It's been so long since I joined, I'm not sure if you can add them to you name at the botton or not, I think that might go with a higher standing, but ask the site admins, they will get back to you quickly I think.

-E.