Starting to lose patience in the learning process...

pompeyvix_uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really do think you have to be patient with your kittens. I understand that you have never had cats before, but before taking them in I would have got a cat book so you can understand what you are getting yourself into before taking them on.

Don't forget, your kittens are probably very frightened. Firstly being kept in a cage in a pet shop, being taken away from their mum (too early) and secondly moving again into your home.

I have a cat called Naughty, and in April she gave birth to 4 kittens. Now, although I have grown up with cats, I have NEVER had kittens, so it was all a learning experience for me. When they first starting pooping, they refused to use their litter tray. Instead when I put litter in their box (no matter what type) they ALL ran over to it and tried eating it!! And they would poo and wee EVERYWHERE!! The flat would stink and it was very frustrating. However, I just put compost in their tray instead, and moved it under the bed (gross I know) and within a few days all 4 were litter trained. I then re-introduced litter and moved the box back into the normal place, and I am pleased to say I have never had a mis hap since.

I kept one kitten (Alfie) and the other 3 went to good homes, fully litter trained.

Admittedly it was frustrating but I never once got angry with them (they are only babies for gods sake, and if you didnt put a nappy on a human baby it was piss and poo everywhere). You cant let yourself be annoyed or angry, they dont deserve that.

Please be patient. But if you really cant handle them, then please find them a good home.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I would take the kittens to the vet to be checked for worms and get a proper flea treatment. I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like they could be sick from worms.

Someone with more expertise will probably be around, but like I said, I personally would opt for a vet visit - sooner rather than later.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to agree with everyone that they likely have worms. All of my cats had worms when we got them. They went to the bathroom a lot and vomitted. You don't always see the little rice like worms coming out of their bums, so get them checked. I paid 45$ total for the vet visit plus worm test and dewormer. At my vet's office in Indiana I paid about 200$ for all of their shots, plus two flea treatments and spay. Obviously they are too young to be spayed or neutered, but it's a good idea to keep that cost in mind for three months down the road when they do need these things done.

Be patient. Kitties are like babies in that they need constant attention and can't control their bowels. They'll learn eventually. My vet has really great pamphlets on litter training cats and catproofing the house. I think they came from the American Vet. Association. You can learn about vaccinations and spaying from them here: http://www.avma.org/communications/b...cat_owners.asp

Good luck to you and your babies and welcome to the Cat Site!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarajason

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well some better news after this weekend. They are doing a little better. I switched them over to Purina ONE Kitten food, dry. Their stools have hardened now

They did great last night, everything in the box. We now have a box in the living room where they are when we are home and in the spare bedroom where we keep them when we're gone. I am still going to mix in some wet food every once in a while. They have certainly gotten bigger in just the week that we've had them and are now more playful than ever!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't see this before, but might have suggested you do what we've been lucky with as far as kittens go... when you have a litter box set up (not too high for them to get into), take them into it, hold their front legs from behind, and make 'walkies' just a few times.. in other words scrabble their paws lightly in the litter and they immediately understand and go straight for it next time.