Starting Prednosone

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad we can be of help to each other'. What a great site and saviour this has been. Hats off to the cat site. Life saver. Some really cool ppl on here.

You're a very smart and switched on individual. You have outstanding knowledge regarding many things in life.

I'm going to unwind tonight and watch some tv and eat some more food. Keep well.

Talk soon pal!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks.  I think I do finally have closure.   I mean, now I understand the critical part that went horribly wrong.   Before, I was chasing my tail, trying to understand how I could have spent $3,000 and still had no diagnosis.  I always tell myself if you want something done right - do it yourself.  And so I have always been overly self-reliant - to a fault even - ever since I was a boy.   And here once again I relied on someone else and got burned.  

I actually got the strength to go back to the vet today from thinking about you doing it - when you needed answers.   So reading of your experience helped me a great deal.   

I did see a doctor a couple of weeks ago and got some meds that have helped me relax.   The grief counselor is a good idea.  I think they have group sessions not far from me for a very reasonable sum.

Oh don`t worry about me with prescriptions.   I just dumped my last doctor that had me take pills with horrible side-affects.   I was taking something that made me faint due to a sudden drop in blood pressure and fell down a flight of stairs.  I thank God every day that I didn`t break my neck from that.
I'm very sorry.  I know you don't have a firm diagnosis, but it really sounds like kidney failure of some sort.  Having dealt with kidney failure in both human and feline, let me be the first to tell you that kidney issues can be really difficult.  Sometimes, even with the best of care, the kidneys go further and further into decline.  My point is that before you beat yourself up and think that this all could have been prevented, and it may very well could have been (since the initial bad values), to be quite honest it may not have been able to be prevented. 

Again I'm so sorry and be good to yourself. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad we can be of help to each other'. What a great site and saviour this has been. Hats off to the cat site. Life saver. Some really cool ppl on here.

Of course!  Cat people are different and definitely cooler than dog people..... because...... cats are just too cool.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I'm very sorry.  I know you don't have a firm diagnosis, but it really sounds like kidney failure of some sort.  Having dealt with kidney failure in both human and feline, let me be the first to tell you that kidney issues can be really difficult.  Sometimes, even with the best of care, the kidneys go further and further into decline.  My point is that before you beat yourself up and think that this all could have been prevented, and it may very well could have been (since the initial bad values), to be quite honest it may not have been able to be prevented. 

Again I'm so sorry and be good to yourself. 
Hi peaches08.  Yes I have come to the same conclusion that it was most likely kidney related.   There was a warning today on Tanyas CRF site that said using pred on cat with impaired kidneys could lead to congestive heart failure.   Be that as it may, all the indications on the 2 sets of blood/urine tests showed elevated kidney values.   With everything else being close to normal - one can probably safely presume that the figures reflected poor kidney function and not values skewed from dehydration.

It wouldn`t surprise me I guess....  after all she was eating the worst garbage kibble for the first 8 years of her life.  Purina Deli-Cat poison and others like it.   How it gets an AAFCO `seal of approval` is criminal in my opinion.    But I was no different than just about every other cat owner - I bought into the marketing hype.   The cat is eating the food - obviously likes it - and the label says it provides `all the nutrition they need`.   Unfortunately, millions of pets and their owners have to suffer through these dozens of food-related  conditions before we become aware of the issue and go through the necessary deprogramming from all the brainwashing from Purina, Hills and all the other merchants of death and their ilk.