Starting My Feline Journey

CatnoobAki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! My name is Amy and I'm a vet assistant and hoping to study vet technician soon. Ever since i was young i was always a dog person, owning like 5 dogs in the span of my life so far and currently loving my two mixed breed babies. But while studying feline health and having the honor of helping to save many kitties lives, i yearn to have my own fur ball to love ;^; I'm hoping i can find some answers and help here!

Health
There is an issue, I'm mildly allergic to cats (and to my own dogs to an extent), its nothing a few meds cant fix but i would like to take a chance to see if i can find a hypoallergenic cat to adopt. I know its a bit too picky for adoption so if it has to be bought then ill do my research into trusted breeders. I'm not too active; my hobbies are gaming and art, but if i need to take my cat for walks and maybe even going to cat parks then i would love that! (maybe even to the beach or a pool~)

Availability
I have a full-time job at a call center with Mondays and Tuesdays free. Ill be moving out to an apartment with my fiance soon (he has taken care of cats before) and he is an uber driver. My dogs will be staying at my childhood home in care of my mom. We don't know how spacious our apartment will be, but aside from our gaming consoles and computers, there's not much else that could take up loads of space.

Attention/Affection
Coming from being raised with dogs, i tend to be very affectionate towards animals and i always love giving them attention. I love vocal pets and hyper ones too! The more playful the better! I also do have some bouts of neediness when I'm feeling down so i would always go to hug my pets and pet them to help cheer me up. Having studied many years of animal health, I'm always attentive to their needs as well, food, water, exercise, hygiene, taking them to a vet, etc.

So yeah I'm really looking forward to taking care of a cat but i don't know where to start, i hope that with the information above someone could give me a head start on what to do.

-Amy:catlove:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
This is the purr-fect place to learn all about how to be a great cat parent. :petcat:

Here are some TCS articles to get you started:

15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat?
First-time Cat Owner's Guide | TheCatSite

A Kitten Or An Older Cat - Which Should You Adopt? | TheCatSite
Where To Find A Kitten | TheCatSite
Kittens For Sale | TheCatSite
How Much Does It Cost To Adopt A Shelter Cat? | TheCatSite

New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home | TheCatSite

Once you let us know you'll be bringing kitty home soon, we can post some more articles.

BTW, about your allergy to cats. Some people with allergies become immune to their own cats, so if you're lucky, that'll happen to you too.

Good luck learning about, and finding the purr-fect cat. Keep us posted, and ask any, and all, questions you think of.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We'll look forward to meeting your kitty when just the right one introduces him/herself to you. Although there are no breeds of cats that are entirely hypoallergenic, there are some breeds that tend to be LESS "allergenic" than others. This article, Hypoallergenic Cat Breeds | petMD lists 13 of the most popular, with links to info on individual breeds!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-960553.jpg
Amy, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
graphics-welcome-090004.gif
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this great site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Hope you are doing well with your allergies and many members here do have allergies but they all own cats :agree: and also many members here own other animals beside cats too.

Hope you'll find a wonderful cat and when you do, please post photos!

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm mildly allergic to cats (and to my own dogs to an extent), its nothing a few meds cant fix but i would like to take a chance to see if i can find a hypoallergenic cat to adopt. I know its a bit too picky for adoption so if it has to be bought then ill do my research into trusted breeders.
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I'm glad you joined the site and are preparing to become a new cat owner. Regarding allergies - I am one of many members on the site who is not only allergic to cats but dogs as well and have lived with both animals. I do see an allergist/immunologist and take the proper precautions.

Did you know you don't necessarily have to go to a breeder? If you have your heart set on a specific breed you can also adopt from a purebred rescue group. I hope you find the perfect cat for your fiancé and you. All the best of luck! :goodluck:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! It sounds like you are starting out on a great adventure, owning cats! :petcat:

I have a Siberian, one of the hypo-allergenic breeds. The main thing people react to is an allergen that is mainly in the saliva, called Fel d 1. Since cats groom so much, they get covered with it. Many Siberians are very low in this allergen.

rubysmama rubysmama has many great links about new cats and kittens. If you have any more questions, please ask a question on The Cat Care Forums. :thumbsup:

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!
I'm mildly allergic to cats and dogs, and I have found that keeping them indoors really helps because they're not trekking in pollen and grass seed and cottonwood on top of everything else. Maybe that would help your allergies to when you get your kitty. Just a thought.