Starting kitchen reno's........

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's how i was when we first moved in our house here.  We hosted Thanksgiving dinner and it worked out great!  Except for the fact I was 8 months pregnant so it wore me out.  
  Having a nice, efficient kitchen makes entertaining a pleasure instead of a chore. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love to cook and I really enjoy entertaining. With the new kitchen and being able to work more efficiently, it made it that much better. I'm really happy for you, Kathy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathyfromcanada

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The final reveal!! After several weeks of living in a mess, we finally have the functional kitchen I've always needed and wanted. I was very lucky to have both a brother in law and sister in law to pull this all together! I am forever great full.  

This is one thing that the electrian needs to come back and fix, still waiting!!!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It really is gorgeous, Kathy. Everything came together very well! I love your subway tile! Nice! 

Can you roll dough out and cut it on your countertop? I forget. I'd use the area next to the sink to play with dough!

I really like that nook between your door and your fridge. It's almost like a bit of a coffee nook, for coffee and teas and such.

Congrats, Kathy.....you did great!

kathyfromcanada

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It really is gorgeous, Kathy. Everything came together very well! I love your subway tile! Nice! 

Can you roll dough out and cut it on your countertop? I forget. I'd use the area next to the sink to play with dough!

I really like that nook between your door and your fridge. It's almost like a bit of a coffee nook, for coffee and teas and such.

Congrats, Kathy.....you did great!
No Pam I use a cutting board, but I have one made of solid granite. It's a laminate counter top. I'm now itching to make something, bake, cook. I'm really

enjoying my kitchen now
. Everything is so easy to access. Oh and yes the electrical socket has now been fixed as well.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking serving space for drinks and cups when entertaining; cookbooks the rest of the time!  Or both.  

Now what will you bake first? 

kathyfromcanada

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I was thinking serving space for drinks and cups when entertaining; cookbooks the rest of the time!  Or both.  

Now what will you bake first? 
Hadn't even thought of the cook book idea. Hmmm. You've got me thinking on that one! Bruce want's some chocolate muffins!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad your electrician got in there and got that socket fixed. How do you like your under-cab lights? I just love mine; a lot of times when I get up early on weekends and it's still dark outside, I can work on mixing and kneading bread dough and such with just the under-cab lighting....no other lighting is really needed. We also put some lighting above the cabs; nothing fancy, most of the time I just use old holiday lights and spread them around above the cabs. It really looks pretty over the holidays, but it's more for mood lighting than any actual task lighting. 

I really like the cookbook idea in that space, too! Cups and saucers and such. It's really a nice area. 

What color did you paint your area above your cabinets? It's pretty. I had such a hard time choosing a color for the kitchen. I kept buying little cans of paint and painting samples all over the kitchen walls. Couldn't find anything I really liked. I wanted some kind of green, but couldn't find THE green. And then one night, I was back in bed reading and watching tv. I looked at the bedroom walls (which I really like) and thought, "Hmmm, Light Sage it is for the kitchen, too!" 

I like your rugs. We've talked about putting rugs down in our kitchen, but you know, I just know that, as soon as we do, one of the cats is going to puke on it! It's like an "I dare you to puke! Go on, I dare you!" kind of thing. You know it's just a matter of time!
 We've also talked about putting a mat down in front of the sink that is better for your legs, since I have such trouble with my legs and feet, especially on days when I'm working in the kitchen all day.

I want to cook in your kitchen! I'll help you make your muffins! 

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I were talking about pendant lights over the big peninsula in our kitchen.  It's where I do most of my work.  I like the idea of adding some under cabinet lighting too though.  You almost can't overdo lighting in your kitchen.  As long as it's not all on one switch or something.  
  I'm really not a fan of fluorescent lights; but honestly it does a good job providing enough and even lighting in the kitchen here.  At the peninsula it's behind me; but it's still not "dark" over my work surface.  

Our house came with the microwave/vent combo over the stove and the light isn't very bright.  It helps though.  Our old house was awful till DH got me an inexpensive light for under one cabinet.  I hardly had counter space in that house at all.  Somehow I managed to still roll out dough for pizzas and calzones.  I want to make those sometime soon!  Its been years since I made my own pizza dough! 

I think we need a TCS cooking party! 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mooch, look into the small LED lights that are in a strip. They look like a roll of masking tape with the square lights on them. That's what I have and, honestly, they are wonderful. They're tucked up underneath the front bottom of the cabinets and you don't see them at all and they go from one end of the wall to the other end (holes were drilled in the bottoms of each cabinet for the wires to go through) and then start again at the side by the fridge. The transformers are in the basement ceiling, right below the kitchen cabinets. I needed two transformers, because one covers the end cabinets and the other covers the side by the fridge. They're LEDs, so they don't get hot; that's important. We had halogen lights under one of our corner cabinets and they got so hot they literally burned the underside of the cabinet...the inside of the cabinet felt warm to the touch; that's how hot those lights were. Love these little LEDs...they're wonderful. I'll take some pictures and show you what I mean as it's a little hard to describe. Check them out, though; you won't be sorry.

I'm all about light, especially in the kitchen and I agree that you can't have too much light (that was my biggest problem in our old kitchen; even on the sunniest days, it was dark and dreary and I always needed to have lights turned on).. One switch covers the under-cab lighting and another switch covers the above-cab lights (that switch is also a dimmer switch). I have a 3-light fixture above the sink and that switch also turns on the ceiling light. In PA now, I think building codes require electrical sockets every two feet apart in the kitchen, which I think is a little overkill (and we didn't do that). Ours are 4-feet apart and I find that works well. I don't keep many of my small appliances out on the counter, just my mixers, my food processor, and the microwave. And the Keurig. That's it. When I want the toaster (which isn't often), I bring it down from the cabinet above the fridge. Same with other small appliances. I bring them out, then put them back. I keep my crock pots in the cabinet above the fridge, too. I just don't have the counter space to keep everything out all the time.

Kathy, you have way more counter space than I do! I'm jealous! 
 (Green with envy!)

Wow, a TCS cooking party! Can you imagine all the fun we could have?! That would be wonderful and, if we ever figure out a way to do that, you can count me in!

Last edited:

kathyfromcanada

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

DH and I were talking about pendant lights over the big peninsula in our kitchen.  It's where I do most of my work.  I like the idea of adding some under cabinet lighting too though.  You almost can't overdo lighting in your kitchen.  As long as it's not all on one switch or something.  
  I'm really not a fan of fluorescent lights; but honestly it does a good job providing enough and even lighting in the kitchen here.  At the peninsula it's behind me; but it's still not "dark" over my work surface.  

Our house came with the microwave/vent combo over the stove and the light isn't very bright.  It helps though.  Our old house was awful till DH got me an inexpensive light for under one cabinet.  I hardly had counter space in that house at all.  Somehow I managed to still roll out dough for pizzas and calzones.  I want to make those sometime soon!  Its been years since I made my own pizza dough! 

I think we need a TCS cooking party! 

Pam's right, looks into the led lights. That's what I bought and I love them!

kathyfromcanada

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Winchester, that house had next to nothing counter space when we bought it. We extended the counter top by 3 inches where the sink is. Simply because we added the wrap around counter top and it's just plain more functional, I can hide my large appliances like my kitchen aid mixer under the cabinets. Now if I can get Bruce not to clutter up the counter top!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Pam's right, looks into the led lights. That's what I bought and I love them!
I think I'll add that to our possible project lists!  That's got everything from painting what rooms aren't already painted, installing crown molding, installing a wood stove (for backup heat), landscaping around the house and maybe more in the back yard...and some day I want an addition put on with a fireplace.  A sitting room that is for ME to sit and have a few quiet moments.  
 Home ownership never runs out of projects does it?
  Good thing DH is handy! 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Kathy, I love all your counter space! It's incredible how much room is in your kitchen. You and Bruce (and your SIL and BIL) have done a great job on your kitchen and I love everything. 

Now that Rick has his new compound saw, I asked him to consider some crown molding for the living room, back the hallway, and our bedroom. As we work on a room, he replaces the old floor molding (is that what you call it?) and woodwork around the windows. We hope to start work on the bedroom this year yet (once the weather cools down) by putting in new windows (not replacement windows, but new construction windows), tearing out the carpet and installing a hardwood floor, tearing out and replacing the closet, and then repainting. At that point, he'll replace all the woodwork in the bedroom, too.  

But we're also going to buy the shed (Rick has decided on what he wants) to store our garden stuff. I'm really looking forward to that because that will get so much stuff out of the basement....at least I hope it does. We don't have zoning in our township, so we don't have to worry about getting a permit for the shed. We'll have to lay the concrete base so the critters don't decide to tunnel underneath it. 

Rick is very handy, too. He needs to be started, but once he's on a roll, then he tends to get it done. It's just getting him started. And this year has been bad for home improvement projects. Between my foot problems and all that time fighting those darn ants a month or so ago, it's just been a mess. He had to rip up all the insulation in the basement ceiling to kill anything that moved and it took so much time to get that all done. Then he worked outside around the house because of the ants for a few weekends (thankfully, *knock on wood* that seems to have taken care of the problem).  He did manage to get the front door cleaned up and it's ready for its new paint job (navy blue, after years of a red door), but we need a few days of no rain and we seem to be in a bit of a t-storm pattern where we're getting a storm now every day. 

We have a home improvements project list, too, and it never seems to end. Between the stuff that I need to do and his projects, the list keeps getting longer. But it's fun, too, in a way. And you know that you're adding value to your house and that makes it even nicer.