Started them on raw tonight :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, Sally, you may have just hit the nail on the head with that one. I wonder if Spooky is my version of a "Princess PIPSQUEAK?" :lol3:

And Chum I know eats mouse - he caught one when he was in the trailer and ate most of it. :lol3: Spooky is also the one that cornered the mouse the one time we had one in the house. She never got the chance to eat it. Now I'm wondering if she would have? It did escape for a bit, and Tuxedo was playing with it before Gary rescued it. I wonder if Tuxedo was wondering why we were trying to get him to eat a toy? :anon:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FIRST OFF :spit: :crackup: Pipsqueak truly IS IS IS IS a :princess: He even has a pink collar :anon: although he won't wear it :lol3: I even have a princess tiara that he has worn :anon: POOR PIPSQUEAK.... that is probably WHY he is so messed up.. :confused: :lol3: It is so comical and SOOO true. Whatever Pipsqueak likes the other three won't.... :rofl: That is how I test new proteins :idea:

AWWWW :hugs: to Gary... that is what I do at the horse barns... :anon: I rescue the mice from the cats. :rolleyes: I just make sure no one is looking. I also went as far as to chase a cat who had just caught a baby bunny out into the field behind the barn...... the cat, Dexter, couldn't believe it, that I was fighting him for the baby bunny. I won too... :D People at the barn thought I was nuts.... if they only knew me now :flail:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:spit: :flail: Oh Lauren - you are just on a roll with the side-splitting wit! :crackup: *gasp for air* :lol3:

I found out what happened with my HT order. The second box never got sent. It'll go out Monday next week. Good thing I didn't need anything in it right away! :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight was chicken breast and beef kidney. Beef kidney is what Shel has trouble with. I prepared his meal with the Wysong Call of the Wild instead of beef kidney (and gave him a full 1.5 oz of chicken breast). He loved it! :clap:

And I decided to give it a try for Spooky - see what would happen. I prepped her 1.5oz of raw chicken slices and used the Wysong Call of the Wild supplement. She sniffed at it and clearly didn't want to eat it. Meanwhile, Lazlo wasn't eating his chicken breast or kidney, and looking at me like - "I want something else!" :lol3: So I swapped their bowls. And Spooky went to town - ate the beef kidney FIRST. :lol3: And Lazlo dove in, and licked the bowl clean.

:woohoo:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Gave me the giggles - swapping bowls seems to be the flavor of the day. It worked over here too with Perkins and Presley EXCEPT they both had the exact same meal :flail: NVO chicken tonight. As soon as I switched the plates - they gobbled up their food :lol2: The grass is always greener :D :D :clap:

YAY for Shel !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap: Call of the Wild to the rescue :bigwink:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the quail.... only Lazlo and Spooky needed "help" eating it. Otherwise, the ground HT quail was pretty much a hit! :clap:

So...

Spooky and Chum like mouse.
No one likes pheasant very much.
They all pretty much like Llama, quail, and goose.
Haven't tried the ground goat yet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For some reason, none of mine like birds (to eat).   They just like watching them thru the window
  So glad you've got a couple of new "ground" hits on board!

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
. As soon as I switched the plates - they gobbled up their food
The grass is always greener

Yep, I gotta do this with one of my cats too, the crazy one, that requires the fake toppers.
On the quail.... only Lazlo and Spooky needed "help" eating it. Otherwise, the ground HT quail was pretty much a hit!

So...
No one likes pheasant very much.

My raw eaters did like the Primal quail sample I got.  They also all LOVE the freeze dried pheasant that comes in the Wysong kibble bag (Nurture with Free Range Pheasant) - even the picky cat that hates all raw loves the freeze dried pheasant.  I use it as treats, not rehydrated like I do my Stella & Chewys. 
Spooky and Chum like mouse.

LOL.   Donno why I find that so funny, but lol.  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can laugh at "Spooky and Chum like mouse," :lol3: , but it did give me the willies to mix it up for them. :eek:

....well, Shel can't tolerate a whole meal of veal. :rolleyes: :barf:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well that's a shame about Shel and veal.  How's he tolerating the Call of the Wild? 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: He decided in the end he doesn't like it. So it's easier to cut his organs small, coat them in WL, and feed them between 1/2 his meat, so he finishes with 1/2 his meat. :rolleyes:

But Lazlo absolutely LOVES it. He's really excited about his meals again, meowing and pacing and going nuts while I prep the food. :lol3: We were at the holistic vet because of Flowerbelle the other day, and she loved the supplement (she's not a whole prey model purist or anything though). It's got a lot of anti-oxidants in it, so she especially loves it for Lazlo. So he's getting mostly that, rather than whole prey model meals. :nod:

Shel's throwing up goat and lamb now too. :dk: He's due for an annual, so we'll take him in. I'd wonder if it was the salmon oil or something, but it's only the red meats. I don't know if I need to start mixing proteins... or ... :dk: I'll be experimenting.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor Shel.  So if he's throwing up red meats, that doesn't leave too much, does it?  All birds and pork?  What else is considered non red meat in the raw world?  And does he like all those things? 

Great that the Vet likes Call of the Wild for Lazlo, and that Lazlo likes Call of the Wild
.  Sounds like that would be a lot easier to use than trying to find organs, secreting organs, the right calcium, etc.  Just too bad everyone doesn't like it.  Doesn't it have the extra stuff Flowerbelle needs?  (or maybe she doesn't even like it)  Gosh, I still don't know how you can keep up with 8 furkids!  Especially when they are all eating differently.  I see what it's so necessary to keep each one at their own food dish!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it leaves poultry, pork, and rabbit. :nod: But I really don't want to eliminate goat and lamb leg, they've got nice low omega 6 profiles. :nod: I'm going to start experimenting with amounts and mixed proteins - see if he can handle 50% pork with 50% lamb, or 50% turkey breast with 50% goat, that kind of thing. :nod: Right now, the menu I feed is single source proteins at each non-organ meal, which are the morning and late night meals. But it would be easy if instead of feeding goat in the am and turkey breast in the pm, if I could just feed 50/50 goat/turkey in the am and for the late night meal. :nod: So we'll find out, starting tonight. :cross: I think I'm defrosting lamb and pork for the late night meal. :lol3:

As to the Call of the Wild... it's chock full of anti-oxidants, but not anti-inflammatories, which is what Flowerbelle needs. And I prefer to have them eating their organs if possible anyway. Even for Lazlo, who doesn't have a problem with (but doesn't love) the organs, all I'm doing is reducing his organ portion by half. I then supplement that meal with a little less calcium needed to balance the phosphorus (because COtW has calcium in it), and use a little bit of Call of the Wild so he's got the flavor to get him gobbling. :D

So right now, it's really not difficult. No one gets a different meal - I know how much of what to cut up for each already. And then I add supplements. Now all I've had to do is adjust how much organ I feed him, and I just add a different supplement to Lazlo's meals than the other kitties' meals. :dk: And at organ meals, I fix the meals for Tux and Shel like I do everyone else - then I simply take out half of the meat part of it, and give them their food. When they finish, they get the rest of their meat. :) It's really not that difficult. :) But yes - they do need to eat from their own bowls. No more musical bowls! :lol3: Having "set" places where I feed them really helped this. Before I would just put bowls down on the floor, and it didn't matter who ate what. It's really cute though - I call for "dinner" now, and everyone goes right to their spot! :clap:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am back!!!! as you already know. :D Lots of reading to catch up on with all of our threads!!! :lol3: :spin: :rotate: OH no... Shel doesn't like the Call of the Wild :rolleyes: Guess he wants to keep you working a bit harder for him. You know... he IS very special :lol3: Glad that Lazlo likes it. Must make things so much easier :clap::clap::clap: I hope the mixing of the proteins works for Shel :cross:. Walden and Wendall do quite well with mixing proteins !! and they love it of course. They will eat up any leftovers and/ or mixtures that I have from the fussies. Love those boys :rub: :heart3: Hope it works for Shel too :cross: :nod:

How cute for your meal times - they all come a runnin' and go to their spots. :clap::clap::clap: So well trained !!!! :lol3: :D :clap:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

And YES! So far, the mixing proteins seems to be working. Well - it was one meal. But I fed them 50/50 lamb and pork and he kept it down. :D Tomorrow is supposed to be goat in the am and pork in the pm, so we'll try 50/50 goat and pork tomorrow. :) :cross:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And YES! So far, the mixing proteins seems to be working. Well - it was one meal. But I fed them 50/50 lamb and pork and he kept it down.
Tomorrow is supposed to be goat in the am and pork in the pm, so we'll try 50/50 goat and pork tomorrow.
Congrats on the first trial run working
.  Good luck on the next one

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 50% pork, 50% goat worked this morning! :cross: :clap: :clap: :clap: I think this is what I'm going to have to do with the revised menu: combine red meats with light meats. :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 50% pork, 50% goat worked this morning! :cross: :clap: :clap: :clap: I think this is what I'm going to have to do with the revised menu: combine red meats with light meats. :D
:woohoo: Way to go, momma!!!! Great plan :clap::clap::clap: Actually, the mixture of red and "white" meats look very pretty together. An artistic approach to raw feeding!!!! :flail: Just a little funny that came to mind :rofl: