Started them on raw tonight :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woo: :jump: :woohoo: A FREEZER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cold: :cold: :cold: How heavy is the bad boy???? I hope you can get some help unloading it from the van :cross: I hope ypu do have great weather tomorrow for the unveiling of the freezer :sun: !!!!!! AND Who cares how old it is and how beat up it is - right?! Then you won't care about it being outside and getting knocked around by the bear (just kidding :hugs: - :lol3:)..... but really - you won't mind it being outside in the weather. I am sure it will work perfectly - all you need it to do is freeze meat and keep it that way :D :happy3: !!!! I am SO excited for you, sweetie :heart3: Now you can stock up on meat. You really have to order some Nature's Menu now. It is really, really MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe how nice this meat looks. Are you going to get a lock for the freezer? Just curious - with summer coming - I would not want someone to sneak a peek inside your freezer while you are out and then start to grill up cat food :flail: HA HA HA HA HA Joke will be on them :crackup:

Yeah, going to the three meals a day from four is a change for the kitties tummies. We have to feed a little more for those three meals to cover the one meal we gave up. I am still giving Pipsqueak four because he does have that sensitive tummy and needs some food every five hours or so during the day. Thank goodness for WL, great tummy saver and healthy too. :vibes: Tuxie..... :rub:

NOW - on a serious note - major vibes for sweet Spooky tonight. I really hope she will be alright and start eating. I think the appetite stimulant is necessary at this point too :hugs::hugs: Love to you :heart3: and give Spooky an extra gentle scritch from me :rub: Will keep her in my prayers tonight. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: LOL, Gary and I were laughing about that too... no need for a lock, just keep the cat food on top. :flail:

The freezer is surprisingly light. If Gary didn't have bad knees and back, it wouldn't be any problem for him alone. Even I can lift it myself - it's just awkward because of its size and shape. :nod: The two of us together don't have a problem. :D

OK! I was very, very pleased with dinner. I fed Tuxie small bites of WL chicken over the course of the evening and one little piece as I prepped the meal. As no one's having a problem with soft poop yet - and Spooky may still need help in that arena - I went ahead and fed fresh chicken meat again.

What made me so happy was that everyone just dug in, and needed very little encouragement to finish. Spooky sniffed and sat... but didn't walk away from it! Encouraged, I took a little Whole Life chicken dust and sprinkled it on top. And she dug in! (Which is odd, because normally she doesn't like WL chicken. :dk: ). OK - she only had 0.40 ounces. But her whole... attitude just seemed different. Tuxie didn't eat his whole meal either, but as he ate nearly an ounce, I didn't want to push it. :)

2/16/12 Late Night Meal:

Lazlo 1.5 oz
Shel 1.8 oz
Tux 0.90 oz
Spook 0.40 oz
Flowerbelle 0.83 oz

2/16/12 Total Daily Intake:

Lazlo 3.0 oz
Shel 5.0 oz
Tux 4.4 oz
Spook 1.0 oz
Flowerbelle 2.76 oz

Lazlo's total is off because of the issues at breakfast. And Spooky's intake looks dismal... we'll see tomorrow morning. I'll be feeding the morning meal before we'd head out to pick up the app stim. I'll probably give it to her, but things just felt very different tonight. :cross: :)

Last edited:

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your freezer, and on some food getting into those cats!

We just got a freezer ourselves, so in case you didn't know, if you transported the freezer any way but upright, you're supposed to let it sit upright for 24 hrs unplugged, so the lubricant goes back to where it should be.   Also, it won't be cold enough to freeze your food for about 24 hours after that.  When does all that meat arrive??

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear that the freezer is not too heavy for the both of you. Hope Gary feels better today so you can set it up :D :clap::clap::clap: It is your special day after all :bday: :party: :cake: :dance: :party2: :heart3: :heart3:

OK - so the amounts your babies ate yesterday were not too bad at all. Except for Spooky :sniffle:... Flowerbelle is right on target too. Just like Lazlo yesterday, Perla's amounts were low too. BUT she ate like Miss Piggy this morning. Hopefully Lazlo will do the same to make up for yesterday. I notice that with Perla. She can be low on one day and then double up on her food intake the next day. She is an ODD one :crazy:

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: For good meals today and LOADS more of vibes for Spooky :rub: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANK YOU for the info! Thankfully, we transported it upright, because I didn't know that! I did know it would need 24 hours to get cold. The meat arrives today, but it should still be frozen. We'll just put the entire package (styrofoam container and dry ice) into the freezer (except what I want to take out to dethaw). :) Well... :cross: :lol3:

OK. I was encouraged by breakfast... Spooky came when called, went to her eating spot! She sniffed her food and left. Added WL chicken. Nope. Added crumbled dried beef liver. Yup. But then... half an hour after breakfast, it came back up. And I gave her Cerenia (anti-emetic) this morning about an hour to 1.5 hours before breakfast.

Dr. Clegg just called. As Spooky's appetite is waxing and waning, at this point we have to consider a blockage or partial blockage. She recommends ultrasound first, then depending upon what's in there, a barium study. Until then, keep her on the pepcid and cerenia. As she seems to have a better appetite for the canned, give her only that until then, and make it smaller meals frequently. If we can't find anything, then we'll try metro to treat for inflammation.

Morning meal was NV lamb for Lazlo, Shel, Tux and Flowerbelle; NV chicken for Ming Loy, Billy, and Chumley; fresh chicken for Spooky.

Lazlo 1.12 oz
Shel 0.70 oz
Tux 0.90 oz
Spook 0.50 oz
Flowerbelle 0.80 oz

Spooky, as noted above, threw up about half an hour after eating.

Snack at Noon (after talking to Dr. Clegg): Instinct Turkey. Spooky at 0.60 oz; I let Shel eat an ounce, Tux had 0.40 oz, and Lazlo had 0.40 oz.

Ultrasounds for Lazlo (chemo follow-up) and Spooky scheduled for Monday morning.

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor Spooky! I see you're off to the vet, too Monday. 
 I sure hope it's nothing too serious with Spooky. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, we took her in last Saturday, and blood work and x-rays showed nothing. So taking the next steps as things don't seem to be improving. :(

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie- Hang in there, I am so sorry Spooky is not feeling better today. I really hope that somehow she turns the corner in the next day..... Aw sweetie.....:hugs::hugs::hugs: Truckloads of vibes for sweet Spooky tonight :rub: :vibes: :rub: :vibes: :rub: :vibes: :rub: :vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got the freezer out and up and running this afternoon! :D It's not where it's going to go, or set up the way it's going to be set up in this picture, but it really works great!!!! We sprayed it with cleaner and plugged it in, and left the cleaner for 10 minutes or so. I went to wipe it up... and the sides were already frozen! :cold: We ran some errands. We got home maybe 1.5 - 2 hours later - and the motor wasn't running. It was already freezing cold in there! :D

So here it is!

...and with 20 pounds of Hare Today meat in it. :lol3:

It's HUGE in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't get a sense of depth in this picture - but that bag of meat barely makes a dent in the space in there. :lol3:

COLOR ME HAPPY!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And for the kitty update... Spooky is doing - knock wood - FINE on the lots of small meals. *phew* So far everything has stayed down. :cross:

And.... drum roll please... I introduced pork at dinner! :flail:

I mixed it with NV lamb for everyone but Spooky. It was about a 20% pork to 80% NV lamb mix. I just swirled it in, I didn't thoroughly mix it.
I mixed a little with Instinct canned for Spooky. She didn't feel like eating dinner at dinner time. No biggie.
Laz and Shel looked at me like - you want me to eat NV lamb again? :flail: I didn't put any toppers on anyone's food - I was hoping the pork would do the trick. But the lamb just smells so strong. So toppers it was.

Once they dug in... Shel picked out all the pork! :flail: Lazlo left the pork. :lol3: But once I took it out and stuck it on a plate, he ate it. :) I don't know how Flowerbelle and Lazlo will do with 100% pork... but we're going to take our time getting there. :nod:

Spooky has eaten... three small meals, and I'm about to give her another one. She's eaten between 0.40 and 1.0 ounces at each one.

2/17/12 Dinner:

Lazlo 0.90 oz
Shel 1.40 oz
Tux 1.42 oz
Spook 0
Flowerbelle 0.60 oz

2/17/12 Running total (including Spooky's "snacks" ):

Lazlo 3.2 oz
Shel 3.8 oz
Tux 3.0 oz
Spooky 3.0 oz
Flowerbelle 2.0 oz

:cross: So far.... so good!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got the freezer out and up and running this afternoon! :D It's not where it's going to go, or set up the way it's going to be set up in this picture, but it really works great!!!! We sprayed it with cleaner and plugged it in, and left the cleaner for 10 minutes or so. I went to wipe it up... and the sides were already frozen! :cold: We ran some errands. We got home maybe 1.5 - 2 hours later - and the motor wasn't running. It was already freezing cold in there! :D
So here it is!

...and with 20 pounds of Hare Today meat in it. :lol3:

It's HUGE in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't get a sense of depth in this picture - but that bag of meat barely makes a dent in the space in there. :lol3:
COLOR ME HAPPY!
I am coloring you right now - VERY HAPPY COLORS :rofl: Laurie - that thing is HUGE...... Congratulations :clap::clap::clap: AND it looks to me that it is in excellent condition. My gosh - can't beat the price either. I am just beaming with colors of joy :jump: for you :crackup: Yeah - that thing is a monster - just enormous. Now load up on those meats :bigthumb:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok - does sound like a good day for the babies and the eating. Are you kidding - Laz picked around the pork :rolleyes: Well - they can't all be pork piggies right off the bat :lol3: After all it is a new intro and we have to expect a few of the kitties to have some rejection in the beginning. Usually the topper's do the trick though :D :clap:. :hmm: Maybe the birthday :cake: cake is what the kids are waiting for. :party: :yummy: :D

More loving vibes for Spooky :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight more of the same - NV lamb or chicken with a little bit of pork: about 80%/20%. Spooky got Wellness Turkey & Salmon with a little pork. And she decided to eat AT meal time! :clap: (She did get her snack earlier).

2/17/12 Late night meal:

Lazlo 1.4 oz
Shel 1.0 oz
Tux 1.4 oz
Spook 0.30 oz
Flowerbelle 0.6 oz

Total Daily Intake:

Lazlo 4.6 oz
Shel 4.8 oz
Tux 4.3 oz
Spooky 3.6 oz
Flowerbelle 2.6 oz

So far,
everyone's kept it down. :cross:

I am happy. :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:blobgreen :blobgreen :blobgreen :blobgreen Oh, hun, that freezer is a beauty! :blobgreen :blobgreen :blobgreen :blobgreen
I am SO happy for you!!! So exciting!! :woohoo: You have a freezer!!! :clap::clap::clap: You can buy MEAAAAAAAAT! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: YEAH!!! :woohoo:
It doesn't look beat up at all to me - it looks perfect :bigthumb:
It also looks like it has a locker? Is that what it is on the handle? I suppose they didn't have a key, huh?
Yeah, amazing how much stuff they can fit, huh? A whole lot! :clap::clap::clap: Really awesome! :clap::clap::clap:

And how is the pork meat? What did momma think of it? Does it look as fresh as the Rabbit looks to me?
What about the bones? Did you find they are small, big? Are they staying in the plate? TELL us!! I have pork in my cart, and waiting for reviews here momma!! :clap::clap::clap:

So happy you had an amazing day all around :hugs:

Awesome that Spooky is doing better :cross:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very glad to hear Spooky ate some dinner last night :woohoo: and kept it down. PLEASE Spooky - feel better today too :cross:
and an extra one for good measure ]

YES YES - Please DO tell us about the Hare Today Pork !!!!!!! Hope meals go very, very well today for your babies (oh here's another one for that
) :lol3:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if the pork is course ground or what, but it's lumpy. :lol3: And the bone bits aren't THAT much smaller than NV... But you CAN see it is MEAT! :lol3:

I took pictures:

NV Chicken next to chicken breast:

NV Lamb & a close - up - more gray than red, and dry:

And Hare Today pork:

:lol3:

I picked out bones. Here's Hare Today pork bones on the left, and NV chicken bones - and cartilage - on the right:

Took out the cartilage - and just the bone comparison (Hare Today, left; NV, right) :

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Breakfast was OK! Not great. Lazlo dug in today. :) Shel picked about, but he hates NV chicken. I mixed the pork into his, so that he ate it means it had to be because of the pork. :lol3: Tuxie didn't eat much. Again - the problem is NV chicken. :rolleyes: Spooky only had a little of her Wellness chicken & herring with a TINY bit of pork mixed in, but she ate at meal time, and came when called for "dinner." :lol3: Flowerbelle - I didn't realize how much she'd eaten and did the usual "pick up her bowl, put it back down after appearing to fuss with it" routine... and she ended up chowing. :)

Spooky's doing fine though - she's getting "snacks," and is eating in 0.30 oz up to 1 oz increments so far today! :clap:

Everyone's kept everything down so far! Oh - and because Tux had such a bad breakfast, I gave him some of Spooky's canned. He's back on track for the day. :nod:

Oh - the meal was NV chicken with the 20% - 25% Hare Today pork intro.

2/18/12 AM meal:

Lazlo 1.74 oz
Shel 1.25 oz
Tux 0.5 oz
Spook 0.30 oz
Flowerbelle 1.40 oz

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LDG, I'm sure you'll love the freezer. You got a good deal!

I appreciate the pics from Hare Today. They do the pork nicely! I might try that since no one around here will grind pork bones and our grinder won't handle them. Have you tried the rabbit? I'm thinking about it and I think I'd probably go with the fine ground. 

jynical

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey y'all! *tosses hat*

I'm hoping to be getting a freezer soon. We have a co-op meat dude down here in Texas who comes up to my area once a month. Roscoe (a 76lb, 2 year old lab) and Guinness (a lanky, 13 year old DSH) are both fed raw. Callie (7 year old DSH) is currently on treatment for Fatty Liver, so... food is an issue with her for now. 

Guinness is doing really well on raw. He loves to eat...he doesn't care what it is. Right now he's getting ground beef meat, bones and organs. It's not ideal from the prey-model side of things, but the consistency is something he will eat and not insist on dragging it through the house. 

Anyway, I'm glad there's a raw section on her! Yay!