Started them on raw tonight :D

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried the NM freeze dried stuff.  I am getting ready to place my order when I noticed all the freeze dried items, and their delicious prices, wo thought I would ask.  They even have freeze dried tripe (something possibly Carolina could love?)  It's only $8 for 9 patties!  They've even got freeze dried beef heart.  (all are $8, and shipping would be next to nothing, I'm guessing, especially if you're already ordering real meat.  How much more could styrofoam cost :lol3: ? 

Anyway, looking for reviews of the freeze dried.  (wonder how many times I can write freeze dried in one post :scratch: )

BTW, Laurie,  glad you got your shipment!
You might want to post this on Lauren's thread - she has tried some..... and I think she loved it!! :clap::clap::clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if Lauren tried the NM freeze dried. I know she uses the S&C freeze dried. Her cats LOVE the S&C freeze dried lamb (for dogs), and several of the dehydrated S&C varieties for cats. :nod: Mine like the S&C Chicken (for cats), and most of them like the rehydrated S&C lamb... so they'd probably like the rehydrated NM lamb.

The local pet shop carries vital essentials, which also has freeze dried. They only have chicken and beef. Like NM, it is ONLY meat and supplements (though VE is with bones). The cats did like the frozen chicken without veggies - MUCH better than NV stuff. But they didn't really like the rehydrated. :dk:

The HT organ order arrived! Also had the ground pork & duck. :clap: The chunks of chicken, pork, and turkey arrive tomorrow. :clap:

Carolina - this isn't even going to come CLOSE to filling the freezer! :lol3:

OK. My experience with beef kidney. Mine was NOT frozen solid when it arrived. It was PERFECT. I could peel the pieces of kidney off - just pull the fat and membranes off, and drop the chunks into baggies. It literally took about 15 minutes. No smell until a little bit toward the end. I bagged it up into 4 oz baggies (that's the amount needed for all the cats twice a week).

The rabbit organs? I will not be ordering those again. It says it's "usually" 50% liver, and may come with lung. I was wondering how I was going to tell all the organs apart. EASY. The hearts are attached to lung, the kidneys are kidney-shaped, and the liver looks like liver. :lol3: I got 3.3 oz of liver (out of a supposed 32 ounces of stuff). I got 5 bags of kidney bagged up at 2 oz each. I'm not sure what my thinking was on the 2 oz bags... but whatever. And the rest was some hearts, all attached to a lot of lung. The total I bagged up was 26 ounces of stuff, and I did NOT throw away 6 oz of fat from kidney. :dk:

Had the same issue with the Turkey Hearts. I didn't throw anything away, and had 7 four ounce baggies.

The duck hearts, I don't know. They're rock solid and in the fridge dethawing.

I did take part of a turkey heart and let it completely dethaw. Handed out a little bit to a bunch of kitties. The raw eaters loved it. Tuxedo loved it (at least the little piece). Shelly needed some encouraging to even try it. Once he did? Well - I gave him 1.5 oz as a late dinner, because he wouldn't eat dinner. :lol3:

I have a pound of ground duck dethawing. I scraped some off hand gave everyone a little taste test. No one seemed particularly excited. I KNEW that if I ordered the 3 pound chunks of duck with the stuff coming tomorrow they wouldn't like it. :lol3: We'll see... at least I'm not stuck with a lot of it if they don't warm up to it, and I didn't have it in the rotation, other than a small part of the ground mix.

3/1/12 Thurs Dinner

NM lamb. It's not as juicy as I thought it would be, though maybe it's because I rushed to dethaw it. :dk: I thought it would be like the VE chicken. It'll be interesting to compare the NM chicken and the VE chicken.

I offered a little taste-test around. Everyone liked it except Shel. No surprise there, he really doesn't seem to want to eat ground meat. Not sure what I'm going to do about the morning meals for him. I may have to put him on his own Frankenprey schedule (which is PIA, because all the eggshell/organ ratios have to be recalculated across the board for 7 cats and then specifically for him).

The surprise? Spooky liked it! So I gave her an ounce for dinner. She ate 0.7oz! :clap: I then mixed Instinct Lamb with the fresh lamb. Spook ate about another 1.5 ounces, and Shel ate some. He didn't eat very well - which is why when I was passing out heart, I ended up giving him a meal of turkey heart. :nod:

Lazlo licked his bowl clean (he did need a little more topper - WL lamb for him). Tuxie didn't quite finish, and needed encouragement with WL chicken.

But in the end, everyone had a good meal. :D

Fresh meat arrives tomorrow!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone tried the NM freeze dried stuff.  I am getting ready to place my order when I noticed all the freeze dried items, and their delicious prices, wo thought I would ask.  They even have freeze dried tripe (something possibly Carolina could love?)  It's only $8 for 9 patties!  They've even got freeze dried beef heart.  (all are $8, and shipping would be next to nothing, I'm guessing, especially if you're already ordering real meat.  How much more could styrofoam cost :lol3: ? 

Anyway, looking for reviews of the freeze dried.  (wonder how many times I can write freeze dried in one post :scratch: )

BTW, Laurie,  glad you got your shipment!
Let's just start abbreviating Freeze-Dried as FD!!!!!!!! OK?????

YES - I have tried the following FD products with great results.

Vital Essentials beef and chicken. Very difficult to rehydrate - they do not soak up much water. I serve them as they are - they are almost kibble like - the pieces are big though. The cat's do like it - but the pieces are very hard to chew, almost like rocks.

Nature's Menu - Beef - a huge hit with the cat's and the dogs alike. I will be ordering more of the Nature's Menu FD products soon.

S&C (dog) patties.. Duck, Chicken, Lamb and Surf n Turf - the cats ALL love this brand and I can always count on that as an easy raw meal - bedtime. :nod:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH! I totally forgot to tell you guys this. I did slice off a VERY small piece of kidney and dethawed it under running warm water. I passed out TINY tastes. The only takers were Ming Loy and Billy. :lol3: Not even Chum wanted to eat it.

Yeah - so THAT'S why I bagged the rabbit kidney in 2 oz bags. I have a feeling this is going to be a sloooooooow intro.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: ON your delivery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SO happy to hear that the kids liked the NM Lamb. Great news on Spooky :clap::clap::clap: I am really happy that she is eating so well again. Isn't it just a wonderful feeling when the kids eat a good meal - feels so good to us momma's :heart3: :happy3: :clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH! I totally forgot to tell you guys this. I did slice off a VERY small piece of kidney and dethawed it under running warm water. I passed out TINY tastes. The only takers were Ming Loy and Billy. :lol3: Not even Chum wanted to eat it.
Yeah - so THAT'S why I bagged the rabbit kidney in 2 oz bags. I have a feeling this is going to be a sloooooooow intro.
YEP - start small - teeny tiny small pieces. It is always a crap shoot when we introduce a new "anything" raw.... :lol3: BOY Ming Loy and Billy - they sound like Walden and Wendall. Would eat anything. They make this process SO easy :rub: :D

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if Lauren tried the NM freeze dried. I know she uses the S&C freeze dried. Her cats LOVE the S&C freeze dried lamb (for dogs), and several of the dehydrated S&C varieties for cats. :nod: Mine like the S&C Chicken (for cats), and most of them like the rehydrated S&C lamb... so they'd probably like the rehydrated NM lamb.
The local pet shop carries vital essentials, which also has freeze dried. They only have chicken and beef. Like NM, it is ONLY meat and supplements (though VE is with bones). The cats did like the frozen chicken without veggies - MUCH better than NV stuff. But they didn't really like the rehydrated. :dk:
The HT organ order arrived! Also had the ground pork & duck. :clap: The chunks of chicken, pork, and turkey arrive tomorrow. :clap:
Carolina - this isn't even going to come CLOSE to filling the freezer! :lol3:
OK. My experience with beef kidney. Mine was NOT frozen solid when it arrived. It was PERFECT. I could peel the pieces of kidney off - just pull the fat and membranes off, and drop the chunks into baggies. It literally took about 15 minutes. No smell until a little bit toward the end. I bagged it up into 4 oz baggies (that's the amount needed for all the cats twice a week).
The rabbit organs? I will not be ordering those again. It says it's "usually" 50% liver, and may come with lung. I was wondering how I was going to tell all the organs apart. EASY. The hearts are attached to lung, the kidneys are kidney-shaped, and the liver looks like liver. :lol3: I got 3.3 oz of liver (out of a supposed 32 ounces of stuff). I got 5 bags of kidney bagged up at 2 oz each. I'm not sure what my thinking was on the 2 oz bags... but whatever. And the rest was some hearts, all attached to a lot of lung. The total I bagged up was 26 ounces of stuff, and I did NOT throw away 6 oz of fat from kidney. :dk:
Had the same issue with the Turkey Hearts. I didn't throw anything away, and had 7 four ounce baggies.
The duck hearts, I don't know. They're rock solid and in the fridge dethawing.
I did take part of a turkey heart and let it completely dethaw. Handed out a little bit to a bunch of kitties. The raw eaters loved it. Tuxedo loved it (at least the little piece). Shelly needed some encouraging to even try it. Once he did? Well - I gave him 1.5 oz as a late dinner, because he wouldn't eat dinner. :lol3:
I have a pound of ground duck dethawing. I scraped some off hand gave everyone a little taste test. No one seemed particularly excited. I KNEW that if I ordered the 3 pound chunks of duck with the stuff coming tomorrow they wouldn't like it. :lol3: We'll see... at least I'm not stuck with a lot of it if they don't warm up to it, and I didn't have it in the rotation, other than a small part of the ground mix.
3/1/12 Thurs Dinner
NM lamb. It's not as juicy as I thought it would be, though maybe it's because I rushed to dethaw it. :dk: I thought it would be like the VE chicken. It'll be interesting to compare the NM chicken and the VE chicken.
I offered a little taste-test around. Everyone liked it except Shel. No surprise there, he really doesn't seem to want to eat ground meat. Not sure what I'm going to do about the morning meals for him. I may have to put him on his own Frankenprey schedule (which is PIA, because all the eggshell/organ ratios have to be recalculated across the board for 7 cats and then specifically for him).
The surprise? Spooky liked it! So I gave her an ounce for dinner. She ate 0.7oz! :clap: I then mixed Instinct Lamb with the fresh lamb. Spook ate about another 1.5 ounces, and Shel ate some. He didn't eat very well - which is why when I was passing out heart, I ended up giving him a meal of turkey heart. :nod:
Lazlo licked his bowl clean (he did need a little more topper - WL lamb for him). Tuxie didn't quite finish, and needed encouragement with WL chicken.
But in the end, everyone had a good meal. :D
Fresh meat arrives tomorrow!
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: You got meat :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

That sucks on the Rabbit Organs........ But on the plus side, you didn't suffer through the kidney :vomit: :bigthumb:
Question on the turkey heart: What did you do with the fat and the heart valves and stuff? Did you trim that off? I did but I am just wondering if that was even necessary? I took the membrane off, and some of them had quite large valves..... Others have some huge fat.... So I took it off....
Basically, any meat that had a lot of fat I trimmed that off - Are we supposed to do that?
Amazingly, the one that had the most fat was the kidney - I was shocked..... And that some white stuff that I don't even know if it was fat or not :barf:

Yep, NM is juicy, but not as juicy - remember me saying that I add water to give it to Bugsy? I actually add 2 TBSP per 2oz.....
Awesome that you had a great meal!!! Yuppie!!! Let the fun begin!! :clap::clap::clap:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess my bags of heart and kidney were pretty good that way, because really, it seems the rabbit organs had more fat! :eek: There were some chunks in the beef kidney, but it wasn't that much. :dk:

I asked AC about trimming fat when I first bought the fresh lamb. The way she put it was... she only trims it if it's thick enough to measure. :dk: So I leave marbled fat in meat, and some of the edge. I didn't peel some of the fat off the rabbit kidneys, and the heart I only took the chunks out if they were real globs. The valves and... tube thingy - aorta? :dk: :lol3: I left. I figure... the only issue might be they're a little chewy?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YEP - start small - teeny tiny small pieces. It is always a crap shoot when we introduce a new "anything" raw.... :lol3: BOY Ming Loy and Billy - they sound like Walden and Wendall. Would eat anything. They make this process SO easy :rub: :D
Yeah... and 0.25 oz may be too many! :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3/1/12 Thurs Late Night Meal

VE Chicken (again LOL). Ming Loy walked away. :flail: Since she usually doesn't get any toppers, the dehydrated chicken had her gobbling it up like crazy. Lazlo, Shel, and Spooky needed BFF Tuna & Chicken. :lol3: Lazlo ate 2.4 ounces of food though (no wonder he's gaining weight!). He got slipper elm again. :nod: Chum did too - just no BFF for him.

Spooky ate an ounce of the 30% raw/70% BFF mix. I plopped a little more than half an ounce of BFF on top, no mixing, and she ate another 1.3 ounces. :clap: So... Spooky had about 4.5 ounces for the day :clap: :clap: - and in three meals, no snacks today.

Tux needed a lot of WL chicken and dehydrated chicken liver to almost finish up. He got to eat some of Spooky's leftover BFF mix too. :nod:

Shel finished his dish of 50/50 VE chicken/BFF.

So while I'm "cheating" with the canned to get them to eat the ground stuff.... they're eating well. :clap:

I managed to not have Billy eat ANY of anyone else's food. Seriously - you can't turn your back on him for a SECOND. And I've cut him down to 1 oz per meal from 1.2, because he is definitely NOT losing weight, and looks like he's gaining weight. :rolleyes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Billy and Walden would give each other a run for their money in the fast eating department. :clap::clap: Walden is turning into a bowling ball too :eek:hno:. I think the Lamb meat is making him fatter :sigh: So Billy and Walden are the fat, piggy boys :lol3: YEP - Walden is gaining too :eek:

Don't worry - I won't tell anyone that you are cheating IF you don't tell anyone I am cheating :lol2: BFF IS a great enticement in getting the raw into the cats. Works every time. :nod: :clap: AND :woohoo: for Spooky :rub: SO happy :happy3: to hear these good reports from your raw camp. :hugs: :rub: :heart3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, breakfast this morning was NOT a hit. I woke up to Lazlo being VERY constipated. I was worried we were going to have to take him for an enema. I slipped him more slippery elm AND miralax. He didn't finish this morning - and I didn't give him much because I wanted him to eat it all. :rolleyes: He ate about 2/3. But he managed to go poop about an hour after breakfast.

You know.... they say to find the right amount of bone, judge by the poop. I'm wondering if I need to supplement calcium at all with the one meal a day of supplemented or bone-in? :dk:

3/2/12 Friday AM breakfast

Rehydrated S&C lamb w/duck on the side for Flowerbelle, Tux, Chum, Bill, Mingle
Rehydrated S&C lamb for Lazlo (with slippery elm & miralax)
Duck mixed with Instinct Duck for Shel & Spooky
Spooky ate until she tasted too much raw duck. :lol3: I added more Instinct canned duck. She ate a total of 1.2oz, though it was mostly canned.
Everyone else ate pretty well overall except Laz, who only ate 2/3.

3/2/12 2:30pm Snack
Welleness Turkey & Salmon
Spooky ate 1.3oz
Laz ate 0.4oz
Shel will probably mostly finish it.

I need to get dethawing and repackaging. :lol3: The rest of the HT shipment (chunks) is not here yet, but on the truck for delivery.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FINALLY! REAL FOOD IS HERE! :woohoo: Pork is dethawing. Turns out - the 2 pound packages of chicken breast are split into three chunks. As one meal for my 8 cats is technically 10.7 ounces (and I need to get better about sticking to that and not feeding a total of 12, 13, 14+ ounces as they're all gaining weight!), the chicken breast "pieces" are already split up into meal-size portions! :clap:

I have turkey dethawing in the fridge because fresh turkey isn't due for a while... and I've got pork dethawing in cold water, because that's on the schedule for the late night meal tonight! :D

3/2/12 Friday Dinner

I was nervous about dinner. Only Billy and Mingle wanted to try the hearts yesterday. So I got scared. All I had dethawed was 4 oz of duck hearts (should have been a full meal) and a turkey heart (which was about 2 oz). I gave Flowerbelle, Ming Loy, and Billy full meals of cut up heart. I gave Lazlo, Tux and Spooky 0.5oz each. I gave Shel the other 1.5 oz of turkey heart. Because he refused to even taste it the other day, I gave him 0.5 oz of BG Salmon, which is what I gave to Spooky, Tux, and Laz. The rest of Chumley's meal was S&C rehydrated.

Well - everyone but Spooky ate the heart first. I was pretty sure it was going to end up being a hit, because Flowerbelle went nuts trying to get on the counter to start her dinner. :flail: Lazlo ate some of the canned: Tux ate most of it, and Shel ate NONE of the canned! :clap: Spooky only ate 0.5 oz (but she had an afternoon snack of 1.3 oz so might not have been SO hungry). Spooky didn't touch the heart, despite her favorite dehydrated chicken liver topper. :lol3:

I'm confident they'll be eating full meals of heart from here on. :lol3:
.... just in case. :lol3:

....really, I think the key here is going to be able to FINALLY rotate properly! :cross:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't even know how to read my own feeding chart on the fridge. :rolleyes: Turkey is tonight. :lol3: I'm rewriting it for the fridge. My week started Monday - on all my other calendars it starts on Sunday. :rolleyes:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woohoo: for a great dinner!!!! It makes all the difference having real meat that they love, doesn't it? I am having a blast here! :clap::clap::clap:
I am nervous too though..... But judging by your success with the heart..... I feel better about the meal tonight :cross: we will see..... Tomorrow is organs I need a lot of these :lol3::lol3::lol3:

I have the schedule affixed to the fridge..... All the meals are is ziplock bags in exact per/meal portions..... including the ground..... The night before I am just pulling the three ziplocks - for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and moving them to the fridge.... It is making it much easier that way :nod:
I ma sticking to the schedule to the "T" and already supplementing the calcium.... apparently the qtys are right..... the poop-o-meter says so :clap::clap::clap:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, on the calcium supplement, I'm going to see for a little while because I keep rotating constipated kitties. :lol3: And I'm feeding some bone in the HT ground mixes. I don't know if it's enough from just one meal. But two a day were MORE than enough. :rolleyes:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, on the calcium supplement, I'm going to see for a little while because I keep rotating constipated kitties. :lol3: And I'm feeding some bone in the HT ground mixes. I don't know if it's enough from just one meal. But two a day were MORE than enough. :rolleyes:
Right....... That's the thing.... I am trying my best to stick to the schedule completely - so if God forbid :lol3: they don't like a meal, I will have to substitute with a boneless meal.... I am only supplementing the equivalent necessary for the 2 boneless/ non-supplemented meals - dinner and late night dinner.... The QTY for each is 1/8tsp per 2oz.... so 1/4tsp per day...... since the am meal is already with bones or supplemented.....
So far they are doing good..... Granted, I only fed them yummy stuff :lol3: The worst is yet to come :flail:
I think you will notice the difference pretty quickly once you do daily meats even with the calcium :nod:
Bugsy was the constipated one here - even on Rad cat...... His poop on meat/2 meals a day..... with calcium, even with bone-in meals in the am is PERFECT now :nod:
:cross: you will see the same :cross:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing though..... :think: you feed some canned sometimes...... yeah..... you might want to wait a week or so to see if they move to 100% FP/1 meal ground in the am before supplementing to be on the safe side.... :think: or you might be risking some constipation there..... you are right......

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the only reason I've been feeding some canned here and there to Laz, Tux, and Shel (Spooky is a different story) is because they don't like what I've been feeding them! I'm hoping that on FP in proper rotation, we'll lose that again. :nod: :cross:

....and on that note, let's go see how the turkey thigh dinner goes. It went well the other night, I hope it's not too soon..... :cross: