Start with male or female for breeding from scratch?

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I'm planning to buy a purebred cat for a pet (I already have 2 mixed ones) I'm thinking of a Maine Coon and since it's still a rare breed in my country, I have a strong desire to breed it. Now I want a male Maine Coon just because it's a personal preference, but I heard that beginner breeders usually start with a female then look for a stud to mate with it. What do you think? Can I do it the other way around: start with a male and find a female in heat instead? I know many of you would suggest getting a fixed one first to get to know about the breed, but why don't I start with a kitten if that is the purpose? Then it grows up along with my knowledge, then I start to mate it. Some of you are gonna mention about breeding rights, but to be frank I know a breeder who trust me enough to give me that.

Last edited:

physicsgal981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have never had any experience with the breed before you should adopt a kitten and have it altered and allow it to grow up or find an adult to adopt.  Adult cats can be very different from kittens and going through a life cycle with a cat can ensure that is the breed you want to dedicate your time and energy to breed. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I partly agree but I feel that buying an altered kitten and buying a second cat later is double work. In my opinion I'll be able to get enough feel of what a breed is like in a year or so.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really sounds to me like breeding pedigree cats isn't something you should be doing.  Sorry, but it sounds like you want to do it as a business rather than for the love of the breed, which is the only sensible reason for breeding.

It takes time, visiting cat shows, showing, reading critiques to understand the breed in terms of what it should look and feel like, and that time isn't days, weeks or even months.  Also all the breeders I know have quite a lot of cats, and it sounds like you don't want that.

Finally you are asking very basic questions which suggests that at present you know nothing about breeding any animal and there is a huge amount to get to grips with.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello,

I know a breeder who trust me enough to give me that. [breeding rights]
You can perhaps start as a sub-breeder with this breeder?  You either has one of his studs "stationing" with you.  Or one of his females...

This is very common, if they want to breed on several different females and dont have the place to let every one of them be a family girl. So they have some of them with "sub-contractors" where they can live a nice live as family girls.

And of course, having a stud together with a lot of females has it problems, and they want to have him as a family boy. So again, common he lives with a sub-contractor.

That breeder is also your mentor now, and later on if you decide to upgrade your status.   :)

The usual is, after say 2 litters on this female, and perhaps 3-5 matings with the male, the cat goes over to be owned in full by that sub contractor.

Who can choose to take on litter on his own before neutering, or neuter and have his own pure breed cats "for free", or a verry reduced price.

Last edited:

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What-exactly,are-you-looking-to-do?

And-lets-try-this-another-way,what-interest-or-hobby,do-you-have-alot-of-knowledge-and-experience-in,that-someone-would-come-to-you,if-they-wanted-to-know-more-about-it?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living with a tomcat can be very unpleasant. . .I think this is why most small-time breeders keep a female and find a breeder (who has suitable facilities for the tom) with a stud to borrow.

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I'll just be frank here. My main intention is to have a Maine Coon as a pet. I've visited 3 catteries so far and I'm simply in love with them, physically and temperamentally. Now the price gets me thinking a bit. As you know it's expensive, even more so in my country where they are still rare. Now look, many cat breeders in my country are doing it for additional source of income. I've heard many stories of wealthy breeders. You can think this is unethical, but well, it's my country for you. This gets me thinking, what if I cover the cost of buying with selling its litter later. And then depending on how things go, I could alter him or continue breeding. Some of you might get mad on me over this but I of course won't do the breeding recklessly. I will do it under a "mentor" like Stefanz suggested. To be honest I don't see no harm in this. The pedigree/lines won't be damaged and more people can enjoy having this magical creature as a pet.

On another note, what's the chance of a kitten developing HCM assuming its parents have been tested negative? I'm asking because not all countries have HCM test available.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are in an Asian country, but you have asked a group of mostly US (here) and UK (there) forumites for their opinions so you might not get answers that are appropriate to your country.  Suggest you tell the people here what country you are in as well.

Have you approached the breeders in your own country and asked about a kitten for breeding?

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are in an Asian country, but you have asked a group of mostly US (here) and UK (there) forumites for their opinions so you might not get answers that are appropriate to your country.  Suggest you tell the people here what country you are in as well.

Have you approached the breeders in your own country and asked about a kitten for breeding?
Hi, thank you for replying to my threads.

Yes, now I see that there's some differences in view.

Yes, and they seem open. But anyway my focus is looking for a pet first and foremost.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you seriously want to breed, not for money (you may well be disappointed) but because you love the breed, get a kitten in your country, make sure the breeder knows you want to breed and will help (mentor) you.  However you may well have to pay quite a bit more for a breeding female than one not for breeding.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since-you-are-being-frank,you-opened-the-door,I-will-be-frank-too.

I-have-Maine-Coons,I-show-on-the-CFA-circuit.I-lost-one-to-HCM,because-of-breeders-who-did-not-know-what-they-were-doing,or-care.He-was-my-best-friend-and-I-loved-him-dearly.It-took-me-one-year,but-I-traced-it-back,and-I-took-down-that-cattery,and-all-the-ones-in-between-who-were-responsible-and-negligant.I-made-them-test,I-made-them-spay-and-neuter.

This-was-a-championship-cattery,a-top,championship-cattery,and,not-in-the-USA.I-had-death-threats-against-me,I-had-death-threats-against-him.They-even-threatened-my-future-kittens.

Didn't-stop-me.I-wouldn't-shut-up,I-wouldn't-go-away.I-took-them-down.They-took-him-away-from-me.I-took-their's.I-was-not-going-to-let-another-pet-parent-go-thru-what-I-went-thru.I-ain't-one-to-mess-with,when-it-comes-to-my-cats.They-came-across-the-wrong-kitten-buyer.There-are-still-lawsuits-going-on.

Which-is-exactly,what-you-are-facing,being-that-you-have-not-a-clue,what-you-are-doing,as-the-others-have-tried-to-tell-you,and-the-fact-that-you-know-nothing,about-HCM,you-are-playing-with-fire.

If-your-goal-is-to-get-a-pet,then-get-a-pet.Yes-they-are-expensive,and-their-care-is-expensive-too.Take-the-time-to-learn-from-the-breeders,the-extra-care,the-extra-expense,and-all-about-HCM.

Nobody-makes-money-from-breeding.Most-have-full-time-jobs,or-are-already-well-off-financially.Its-a-hobby-and-they-also-show,to-promote-their-kittens-and-promote-their-stud-or-queen.

The-care-of-the-queen-is-very-expensive,to-do-it-properly,she-needs-to-be-fed-extra,and-her-health-care-is-expensive.Then-you-have-kittens,who-are-living-breathing-animals,their-health-care-is-expensive,their-food-is-expensive.Now-you-have-the-responsibility-of-their-care,of-finding-them-a-good-home,of-knowing-if-they-don't-sell,you-have-to-keep-them,and-feed-them-and-care-for-them,and-a-responsible-breeder-is-prepared-to-take-the-kittens-back,if-it-doesn't-work-out.

Keeping-a-tom,is-very-time-consuming.He-will-start-spraying,he-must-be-kept-seperate,and-he-will-want-to-get-out.

Keeping-a-female-whole,and-not-breeding-her,opens-up-the-door-to-a-plethera-of-health-issues,the-same-with-a-tom.If-you-breed-them,now-you-have-alot-of-kittens-that-must-be-fed,health-care,and-homes-found.

It-doesn't-matter-what-country-you-are-in,breeding-is-breeding,HCM-is-still-HCM,and-they-are-living-breathing-animals,that-must-be-properly-cared-for,that.....is-being-a-responsible-breeder.

You-came-to-us-and-asked-for-our-help-and-advise.We-are-telling-you-the-truth.You-are-way-over-your-head,and-the-fact-that-you-know-nothing-about-HCM,can-potentialy,put-you-in-a-world-of-hurt,if......you-should-come-across.......the-wrong-kitten-buyer.

Get-a-pet-kitten,and-take-the-time-to-learn-all-that-is-involved,with-being-a-responsible-breeder.Then-if-you-still-want-to-breed-Maine-Coons,you-are-at-least-going-in-to-it-with-your-eyes-wide-open,and-we-would-be-glad-to-help-you-with-questions-or-issues-that-come-up.Best-of-luck.

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great story and a great piece of advice too. Kudos to you.