Stairs With A Gap Underneath

william1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I recently purchased a house and finally moved in and never thought anything of it but the steps going from the main level to the 2nd floor have a space under each step and being I have a basement if the cat were to fall through he would easily fall a flight of steps on to the lowest steps in the house. I didnt think this would be a problem but I went to walk up the steps and he was sitting on them and wanted me to pet his belly and he rolled over and almost lost his balance and fell through. Now I am terrified, Im sure people have houses like this with cats but what do people do? I was thinking about buying a netting at home depot and stapling it all the way up the staircase, any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like your net idea. Window screen could work too, and you can get screening that is almost invisible which would be more aesthetically pleasing.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have some carpentry skills or know someone who does you should easily be able to add wood pieces to each step to fill in the gap. That is actually a safer way to go for humans as well because it's easy to accidentally slip your foot through the stair and take a tumble. Netting would work for the cats but wood would be better for everyone.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken wire could work in a pinch if money is an issue. Can you install a board or 2 x 4 piece between each stair?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

william1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have some carpentry skills or know someone who does you should easily be able to add wood pieces to each step to fill in the gap. That is actually a safer way to go for humans as well because it's easy to accidentally slip your foot through the stair and take a tumble. Netting would work for the cats but wood would be better for everyone.
I thought the same thing about this too, while the steps look neat, it really can even be an issue for humans if your foot gets stuck. Not sure why this design. I am not very good with carpentry, I can always hire someone or take the netting route. Thank you everyone for your replys. Now Im so stressed out, im thinking about keeping him in the bed room overnight. This was my first house (well townhouse) and I dont want to put a damper on my excitement over something so negative now but I would be devastated if anything happend to my cat, hes 14 years old and has been through everything with me.

Attachments