stages of FIP?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might ask the vet whether it would be beneficial to try giving lysine--if the sneezes are caused by a feline herpes infection, it could help. It sounds like she may be congested, and that can often cause a cat to eat less, either because it is hard to eat and breath and the same time or because they can't smell the food. You can try gently heating the food for a few seconds in the microwave to enhance the aroma, and you may want to try putting her in a steamy room or using a humidifier to help clear her nose. Actually, saline nose drops might help too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the suggestions. I'll talk to the vet about that.

The eating thing is getting really exhausting. Especially since Ty will eat the kitchen table if I let her, so it's hard to leave Pix's food down without Ty gobbling it all up . And leaving Pix in a separate room is tough, because she only eats a tiny bit, then goes and sits in a corner until I come back and coax her to eat some more. Every night, I am just consumed with following her around trying to get her to eat more. She eats, but just in small doses. Maybe it is the congestion that's making her not want to eat much.

I used to leave Pix's food on the counter and she would jump up there and get it, but since the surgery, she doesn't jump that high. And I'm not sure she'd do it even if she could, because she just doesn't seem to be hungry.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Willow stopped eating, I tried syringe feeding but found it very stressful for both of us. I finally asked the vet to insert a feeding tube--it's a very quick operation, and it was much, much easier to get food into her after that. While it didn't help her recover since her condition was terminal, I knew she wasn't starving. For cats who do recover from their condition, the feeding tube can be easily removed by a vet. It may be something to consider.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it IS the dry form of FIP, Pix will alternate between having her "good" days and "bad" days. That's the way it was (and still is to some degree) before Geronimo & Winchester were put on the Interferon..

I'll continue to hope & pray for Pix to get better..

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For those of you that have been following along (thank you, by the way), we received new information from the vet today. After a second test was done on the biopsy, she said the results strongly suggest FIP.

I don't understand this. I know that there isn't a test that can accurately diagnose this. She agreed that there was a chance this wasn't FIP, but said the chances were slim.

I just don't understand how vets can diagnose something, at the same time knowing that a specific diagnosis is not possible. It's so frustrating.

Pix, meanwhile, has been doing a little better. Even though she's still reserved, she jumps and plays a little. She even runs to the kitchen when she's hungry. Granted she's not eating as much as I want her to, but she is eating.

tinkrbl5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are some positive vibes. I am going through the exact same thing with my little Babe. One day I think she is doing better the next I am not sure. I am hoping for the best. Babe did gain a pound and a half this last week so I am hoping this is a very positive sign. She likes her dry food and will like off all the sauce or juices of soft food. She won't eat as much soft food compared to dry food. I am thinking of you and your kitty and will hope for the best.