Stage 2 To Stage 4 Heart Murmer In 10 Months...

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,

My fabulous 14-15 (he was supposedly 2 at adoption) black and white long haired kitty named Silly was diagnosed with a stage 4 heart murmer last week. He was diagnosed with a stage 2 last Jan. Vet also heard an arythmia at his checkup in September. He has been in three times since (2 cartrophen Injections and a day of bloody-ish stools in November) and the vet couldn’t hear the arythmia again. He has his annual cardiology appointment in December, the earliest I could get him in.

Last December the cardiologist in Oakville, ON said his heart was fine but there was a teeny leak...this cost me over $1,000. I don’t want to spend another $400 plus car rental and stress on my kitty for nothing again. He shakes and trembles going to the vet or being in the car, and the cardiologist is over an hour away each way. Of course if he has heart disease I want to know and help him, but so much of what he has gone through the last year feels so unnecessary and adding more stress.

Is it common in heart murmurs for a grade 2 to jump to a 4 in a senior cat in one year?
Could this indicate he has heart disease and it is progressing?
Is the ride to the vets and the ECG worth it?

There are a number of other issues I’m posting about so please see my other threads.

Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Hugs to you and Silly. Just wanted to acknowledge your post, while you wait for more informed members to give you some advice. And, give a link to an article on murmurs in cats, in case there is anything in the article that you weren't already aware of. (I have not yet read your other posts...)

Heart Murmurs in Cats | petMD

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Systolic heart murmurs are leveled by "grades" ranging from 1 to 6, while diastolic are graded I-IV. (There are other types, but I do not know them offhand.) A few questions: Did the vet mention if it is systolic or diastolic? If it is aortic or pulmonic? Did the vet check thyroid levels? Blood pressure? Hydration? Anemia? You mentioned that one cardiologist said there was a small leak. Did they say if they could tell what sort of leak it was? Has the vet suggested what sort of heart disease it may be if Silly has one? Does he have any bad teeth? Has Silly had his teeth cleaned or other dental work? Do you brush his teeth?

The reason I ask about his teeth is that endocarditis can happen sometimes after a dental work or even brushing, although it is less likely with brushing. Bad teeth can also be a risk factor. If he already had a heart issue, endocarditis is a possibility.

I am far from a doctor or a vet, but my daughter has a Grade 3 aortic stenosis murmur, I have aortic insufficiency, and our Silas had a Grade 2 systolic murmur. Silas's was caused by dehydration, anemia, and malnourishment from before we found him. It went away within a month. My aortic insufficiency means I have to take precautions when going to the dentist because I am at greater risk for endocarditis, which is why I thought of it for Silly.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sillywoody sillywoody - you might consider putting your question to the specialized online feline heart community. With almost 19 years experience and almost 3000 members and their cats, you're sure to get the advice and information you need there.

They are here: Support Group for Feline Hearts

Their FAQ is here: Feline Heart FAQ

Hope that may help !