Squeaky is cowering in a corner

mary louise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once again, we have an issue with our beautiful Squeaky.  This time, he is cowering in a corner and hissing at us whenever we come near him.  We can't seem to figure it out - he is usually the gentlest kitty.  What can we do?

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I think from the picture And name that Squeaky has Mainecoonie Mix -The traits tend to be quacks and trills vocal cords. The behavior is intelligent , come to you when they want not when you want. They observe everything and tend to be little watch-doggie. They sort of instinctively seat -laid back and survey the scene. Not always lap cat. Squeaky maybe growing up. Unless sick. :/

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you noticed any strange cats maybe hanging around outside? He seems to get upset about something your unaware of. Hence the hiding under the bed and now this. I'd try and see if there is something causing this.

How often and what type of play does he get? He also sounds a little insecure (understandably). Building up his confidence may help. This is done with play, using wand toys such as Da bird. Doing regular vigorous play a couple of times a day for about 15 or so minutes, making him leap and run and then "catch" his prey, is a great confidence builder for a cat.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Observe the surrounding area for stray cats, dogs, wild animals and people. There is something around that is stressing him. Are you at home most of the day? Have you (or anyone close) had any deliveries made to the door? Maybe a loud car or truck. Have you changed anything that alters your smell?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mary louise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Squeaky is back to being his old "couch potato" self. allowing us once more to pet him.   We're still wondering, though: Why did he hiss at us?  It had been hot and muggy recently, so he may have been "crazy with the heat".  Another possibility for his spooking is that my sister started using something he wasn't used to - a bath scent, perhaps (he is bothered by even small changes in routine).   Yesterday, he gave us another scare.  We were a bit puzzled when we couldn't find him.  He wasn't in his usual hidey-holes, which caused us concern.  We didn't find him until early evening, when he was snoozing in the back of my sister's closet.  He is a very eccentric little kitty, but we have given him so much love when he really needed it.  

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update: Squeaky is back to being his old "couch potato" self. allowing us once more to pet him.   We're still wondering, though: Why did he hiss at us?  It had been hot and muggy recently, so he may have been "crazy with the heat".  Another possibility for his spooking is that my sister started using something he wasn't used to - a bath scent, perhaps (he is bothered by even small changes in routine).  

Yesterday, he gave us another scare.  We were a bit puzzled when we couldn't find him.  He wasn't in his usual hidey-holes, which caused us concern.  We didn't find him until early evening, when he was snoozing in the back of my sister's closet.  He is a very eccentric little kitty, but we have given him so much love when he really needed it.  
A new bath scent could make him hiss, if it was a fairly strong one. That's why I only use lavender bubble bath and white lavender and sandalwood fabric softener. That is what the ladies are used to.

Isnt't it amazing how well they can hide in a spot. I would bet you overlooked him several times in there.