Squamous Cell Carcinoma Treatment?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DebsKats

I'm so sorry for all of you who've lost kitties to cancer. I've lost 3, one to SCC (she lived 8 months), one to lymphoma and one to lung tumors that spread to her toe. Cancer is a terrible disease and my heart breaks whenever I hear of another kitty who has it.
I've lost four to cancer now, one also to lymphoma. Eight months seems to be a fairly good response based on what I've read. What treatment did you use?

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

I've lost four to cancer now, one also to lymphoma. Eight months seems to be a fairly good response based on what I've read. What treatment did you use?
From what I've learned since then, 8 months is really good. This was back in 1997 and I was going to an idiot vet . . . he told me there was no treatment available at all! This was before I had a computer and the internet offers us so much more information now. He didn't even refer me on to Iowa State which is a great vet school and is only 30 miles from me! And I was uninformed enough back then that I didn't even question him.
He also misdiagnosed my lymphoma kitty, Kirby, in 2001. Finally, his partner referred me to Iowa State where a diagnosis was made and treatment started, but by then it was too late. Obviously, I never stepped foot back in that office and after I lost Kirby, I wrote him a scathing letter. My blood still boils when I think about it!!!

Sorry to go off on a rant. . . I just get so angry when I think about all that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From what I've learned since then, 8 months is really good. This was back in 1997 and I was going to an idiot vet . . . he told me there was no treatment available at all! This was before I had a computer and the internet offers us so much more information now. He didn't even refer me on to Iowa State which is a great vet school and is only 30 miles from me! And I was uninformed enough back then that I didn't even question him.
Unfortunately, the treatments I was offered were expensive and did not offer a much better prognosis than the 8 months your kitty survived. We live probably an hour from Oregon State University, which also has a veterinary school, and I think the biopsy actually was processed there.

I'd never faced anything like SCC before. Bullseye looked the picture of health with the exception of a the growth on the side of his face. Even with surgery and radiation therapy, the prognosis was poor, so we opted against it. When Scooter was diagnosed with lymphoma we immediately started chemo, but the results were not good, plus from a temperment standpoint, he was not well suited for the treatment. It's hard to know what to do, especially when for the most part there is no cure, only a bit of time to be bought. Hopefully someday...

Sorry to go off on a rant. . . I just get so angry when I think about all that!
I hear ya.