Spunky... The Cat From He-

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One day at my grandma and grandpas my mom found a kitten stuck in a tree. We rescued her don't know what else but eventually she was grandma's and grandpa's cat. From then on Spunky (like Shadow and Tiger) were outdoor cats. Tiger and Spunky hated us and would run away down the basement probably outside the cat door when we would visit, unlike Shadow. Tiger died first, the recently Shadow... I miss Shadow very much, just typing is getting me teary eyed...
Anyway, when grandpa died grandma moved down here in a apartment complex or something, two story buildings together. So now all of a sudden Spunky is an indoor cat.
I would find her sitting behind the dyer or on top the water heater when I would visit, I knew I could force her to come to me so I just sat In front of her talking as nicely as possible and hope she would come to me. At some point she did but was still hesitant, she'd sniff me then book it or something.
Eventually she came out the laundry room and would slowly walk towards me and I'd let her sniff my hand and she would either flinch (which scared me to death, I thought she would hit me! She did most of the time with he razors for claws) and sometimes she would butt her head against my hand and let me pet her. She'd purr but mostly ignore me when I would call her and just hang with grandma.
Now recently she was being down because turns out, after we went to the vet, she was severely constipated. After getting her cleaned out she was back to her happy or excited 12 yrs old self (in human years I think, the vet said she was around that age.) But now VERY recently for the past few days, even when I wasn't there, she would ignore grandma now, sleeping more on the bed, "eating less."
See grandma buys the treats that aren't need or cats but I hear that Spunky has been eating a lot of the dry food, I'm assume the main dish for pets. I told grandma that maybe she's getting old and like humans we get less energetic but in this case, Grandma doesn't want her to suffer and is worried about putting her down like Shadow. But unlike Spunky, Shadow was actually in bad health, very, VERY skinny, sick etc.
---
What did I do wrong? What is going on with Spunky? Anything that will be able to help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay...maybe not the cat from hell... but she does swat and just two days ago scratched and hissed at me. Not just me, mom and anyone besides grandma lol.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats will react aggressively when they are afraid (swatting and scratching etc).

Same with your other posts, some wet food might help, some bloodwork to check in on her would be good and helpful to her if your grandmother is willing to do that. Geriatric cats (over the age of 10) should get bloodwork done ideally every 6 months but at least 1 per year to catch things as they come up.

Ideally all cats should see a vet and get bloodwork done yearly. However, even I sometimes drag it along and get it done late! Money plays a huge part in what we can do for our pets as well.

If she had constipation, it's usually not a one time issue that's just resolved in having it removed. Constipation can cause low appetite and energy levels in cats. In geriatric cats, it's often caused by chronic dehydration (which a diet of 100% dry food contributes to).

Many of us use non-flavoured Miralax or Restorilax to help with constipation. You must dissolve the crystals fully in water and add it to their food or feed it to them. Usually a vet will prescribe 1/4 tsp once a day for a 6 to 10 lb cat. Your Grandmother can call the vet to ask about this :) .

Something like a Churu, or Squeeze up is great to add the Miralax water to and feed that to the cat! Or whatever wet food the cat eats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats will react aggressively when they are afraid (swatting and scratching etc).

Same with your other posts, some wet food might help, some bloodwork to check in on her would be good and helpful to her if your grandmother is willing to do that. Geriatric cats (over the age of 10) should get bloodwork done ideally every 6 months but at least 1 per year to catch things as they come up.

Ideally all cats should see a vet and get bloodwork done yearly. However, even I sometimes drag it along and get it done late! Money plays a huge part in what we can do for our pets as well.

If she had constipation, it's usually not a one time issue that's just resolved in having it removed. Constipation can cause low appetite and energy levels in cats. In geriatric cats, it's often caused by chronic dehydration (which a diet of 100% dry food contributes to).

Many of us use non-flavoured Miralax or Restorilax to help with constipation. You must dissolve the crystals fully in water and add it to their food or feed it to them. Usually a vet will prescribe 1/4 tsp once a day for a 6 to 10 lb cat. Your Grandmother can call the vet to ask about this :) .

Something like a Churu, or Squeeze up is great to add the Miralax water to and feed that to the cat! Or whatever wet food the cat eats.
Thanks for the help!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anytime! mcfarjul mcfarjul When you do finally have a pet of your own, all this research and questioning will really help you!

I got my first cat, Nobel when I was 16. I had a part time job and paid for everything myself. I didn't know as much as you probably already know by asking questions and learning things.

He is 16 now and I've learned so much since I got him. Now I have two new cats and they are age 2 and 1. All that new knowledge I get to use right away with them and that's pretty cool!