Spreading light patches on my kitten's nose

mogucat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Recently I've noticed that my 6 month old siamese x ragdoll kitten has been getting lighter patches on his nose. At first I thought that it could have been a graze but he is an indoor cat and it seems to be spreading. I first saw it 3 days ago and it seems to be ever so slightly indented. He's a seal point and his nose used to be completely black- does anyone know what is happening? I've seen some articles about vitiligo in cats but I'm not sure if its that or something else.

Here are some photos I took today
Any reply helps :) Thanks guys!

IMG_20210403_201546.jpg IMG_20210403_201523.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still looks somewhat like a scrape, I can see the indent too. If it is, it will be a scar. I would ask the vet the next time you are in to check it out or bring in those pictures. Does he get outside at all, I was thinking of fights,(although it looks more like a scrape) or does he rub his nose anywhere that is rough? Tree, furniture, scratching post?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would send the pics to your vet and ask what they think - and, include multiple ones if you can to show the changes that are occurring. Give any additional information that you can to them when you send the pics, such as if you do determine that there might have been something in your house that he could have rubbed against. While it could be a scrape, or some sort of injury, the fact that you think it is spreading would suggest otherwise - or, that there a larger area that has been injured and is now showing more changes, hopefully because it is healing ( :crossfingers: )!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he a "nosey" kitty?

Does he rub his nose on things or people, a lot? Or, maybe, he could be a kitten that roots around and digs up things with his nose.

If he rubs his nose a lot, it could just be callouses.

I'd say that you could put some ointment on it but chances are that he'll just lick it off.

If you have a real concern, definitely call your vet. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Recently I've noticed that my 6 month old siamese x ragdoll kitten has been getting lighter patches on his nose. At first I thought that it could have been a graze but he is an indoor cat and it seems to be spreading. I first saw it 3 days ago and it seems to be ever so slightly indented. He's a seal point and his nose used to be completely black- does anyone know what is happening? I've seen some articles about vitiligo in cats but I'm not sure if its that or something else.

Here are some photos I took today
Any reply helps :) Thanks guys!

View attachment 375770View attachment 375772
Hello M mogucat123 and welcome to TCS! I don't have any expertise in this or anything to add to previous posters' suggestions, but just wanted to welcome you and hope for good UPdates (and more pix, please! He is adorable, of course! Thank you for keeping him indoors-only. It's what responsible and caring cat guardians do!)

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you feed wet food? If so, check and see if he has bits of food on his nose after eating. My cat Juliet had something very similar when I first got her (I have a thread with photos here). I took her to the vet and the vet wasn't really sure what it was either. It just went away on its own. I think she had never been fed wet food and was leaving food on her nose and causing acne. I thought it was stress related to a vet visit but it did not reappear after her most recent vet visit so I am guessing the food was the culprit. If he has food on his nose after eating, wipe it off with a wet cloth or paper towel. See if that clears it up. He may eventually realize he needs to clean it himself.