Spraying

Olliebear1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 7 year old has suddenly started spraying in our house. No idea why or what to do. Anyone have any advice please?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
we need some idea to why he's spraying.

Is he neutered? Any new animals or humans added to the home? Any major changes (moving furniture around for example).

How about stray cats outside?

any health issues?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Olliebear1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we need some idea to why he's spraying.

How old is he? Neutered? Any new animals or humans added to the home? Any major changes (moving furniture around for example)

How about stray cats outside?

He is 7 years old and is a rescue cat with his brother. He is neutered, no new animals, a quiet home and is a really affectionate cat. There is a cat next door but we hardly ever see him. Strangely this has only started in the last few months for some reason

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
So things at home has been stable? When was the last time he went to the vet? Just to rule out any health issues

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a UTI. Does he eat any canned food? My male cat has pee problems when he eats too much dry food and not enough canned.

Olliebear1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So things at home has been stable? When was the last time he went to the vet? Just to rule out any health issues

He’s had his vaccinations and I spoke to his vet about the problem so she suggested to get feliway friends to plug in as a start. I’ve done this but it doesn’t seem to have made any difference unfortunatley.

Olliebear1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be a UTI. Does he eat any canned food? My male cat has pee problems when he eats too much dry food and not enough canned.

Yes, he has mostly wet food with dry food available but I don’t think it’s a pee problem, it’s seems to be more looking for attention by spraying which is worrying

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is always a reason for a cat to start spraying. Spraying is a territory marker, a stress reliever, SOMETHING is bothering him. My neutered male started spraying about this age when we had some major changes in the house that stressed him out. He was even fine for a while with that, but everything hit the fan when he noticed the feral toms that I had been feeding. While there is not much you can do to keep other cats out of your yard, try to find out what is bothering him. It could be neighbors, it could be a new ringtone on your phone, or a doorbell ringing more then usual. It could be a dog or even a wild animal making it's rounds at night, something new that is happening regularly and often. It took a year for him to finally accept the other cats and settle down, he DID stop, thank goodness, I was at my wits end. I suggest getting a black light flashlight to find those hidden spots he marked, a good enzyme cleaner is a must, and easier because you basically just soak the area, and denying him access to the areas he marks the most. I did this by buying some plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back, cutting them to fit the area and laying them nub side up. They hurt their feet to walk on them so avoid the area. They are clear, so not as noticeable, and easily moved when company comes, or off of something you need to use, like a couch or bed. Don't give up, he will change, he just needs lots of reassurance and getting used to whatever is bothering him. I finally would let mine outside for a few minutes too so he could mark all the bushes, that finally did it. Good luck!

Olliebear1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is always a reason for a cat to start spraying. Spraying is a territory marker, a stress reliever, SOMETHING is bothering him. My neutered male started spraying about this age when we had some major changes in the house that stressed him out. He was even fine for a while with that, but everything hit the fan when he noticed the feral toms that I had been feeding. While there is not much you can do to keep other cats out of your yard, try to find out what is bothering him. It could be neighbors, it could be a new ringtone on your phone, or a doorbell ringing more then usual. It could be a dog or even a wild animal making it's rounds at night, something new that is happening regularly and often. It took a year for him to finally accept the other cats and settle down, he DID stop, thank goodness, I was at my wits end. I suggest getting a black light flashlight to find those hidden spots he marked, a good enzyme cleaner is a must, and easier because you basically just soak the area, and denying him access to the areas he marks the most. I did this by buying some plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back, cutting them to fit the area and laying them nub side up. They hurt their feet to walk on them so avoid the area. They are clear, so not as noticeable, and easily moved when company comes, or off of something you need to use, like a couch or bed. Don't give up, he will change, he just needs lots of reassurance and getting used to whatever is bothering him. I finally would let mine outside for a few minutes too so he could mark all the bushes, that finally did it. Good luck!

Thank you for your reassurance. It’s so difficult to know why it has started. We will definitely get the plastic carpet protector and try and get some enzyme cleaner as well. Fingers crossed! Thank you

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Try putting some Feliway around the house. The smell will calm him and hopefully reduce the need to spray

Olliebear1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I’ve ordered some feliway so fingers crossed