:( spraying problem

tigertigertiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

That's my buddy Tiger.

He unfortunately has not gotten neutered and has a huge spraying problem. Please don't judge me for not getting him neutered before hand. He is my first cat and I was not informed about of a lot of things that come with the responsibility of owning one.

His spraying problem is starting to become a huge annoyance. I love Tiger too much to give up on him and just send him away to the shelter (I have heard of horror stories first hand).

I am writing this to ask for help and advice. He is older than a year and I'm wondering if it will be difficult to have him stop spraying after he gets neutered?

I live in Hawaii and was wondering how expensive it can get to neuter him?

Also, what are the best ways to clean of the area and to get rid of the foul odor? He is an indoor cat, and again we live in an apartment so the odor isn't so pleasant to have around lol

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully once he is neutered his spraying will decrease. It may not stop entirely though, so that's something to be prepared for.

As for cleaning, an enzymatic cleaner is best because it will break down and neutralize the pee, rather than just mask the smell. You want it gone so the cat can't smell where he peed. Smelling urine in a spot will encourage him to spray there again, so it's a cycle you need to break.
I've used Nature's Miracle which is widely available (just assuming in Hawaii too).

Sometimes peeing outside of the litterbox is a sign of health issues like crystals, which can be very dangerous for the cat. You need to rule out underlying health issues causing him to do this by having him checked out by the vet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle when my cat has gone somewhere inappropriate.  You have to really saturate it to get it all.  

You should be able to call around to different vet's offices for a quote on how much it will cost to neuter him.  Also ask people you know for vet recommendations.  Sometimes shelters have low-cost clinics for it too.