Spraying for Mosquitos

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure which forum this would go under as it also involves the question of food for the cats that visit only at nighttime. Sadly as most know I can't go out at night because of elderly mother who is ill, 99% angry all the time and early stages of dementia. Also we set burglar alarm which can only be turned on and off right by her where she knows what I'm doing. I have no idea when the trucks will be by but is there a way to protect the food for the night or nights that they spray? I don't want the cats to die and this is the first time in 10 years they have sprayed around here. These are feral cats btw for those who don't know me and Mom is allergic so I cannot bring them inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This does not happen around me, so I am not going to be much help. Can you ask for a schedule at all? I assume that the city or county does this. Logistically, can the food be protected in boxes or cat carriers that would block the spray and protect the food. I use cat carriers covered in large black plastic trash bags in the back of my property when it rains so that the food stays dry. Of course, I don't know the number of cats or what this would entail or if this is even on your property. Is not feeding one night the better part of valor if you knew an actual schedule?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Viillages here don't put out a schedule. I know this for a fact. Someone in neighboring area had trucks by her house last night and no schedule was sent. So I don't know. I keep the food out so the cats are not mauled by the foxes and raccoons who are hungry. There are over 80 cats in a 1 mile radius and sometimes my ferals go over to the other colonies to eat. That's why I asked on here because I asked my city hall and they won't tell me. Only thing I have are 2 cat tents.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the schedule. They sprayed in my area last night. Yikes. Cats are ok though so maybe over recent years these companies are using sprays that are pet safe? Someone said they were even down our street last night. Hmmm. Anyone know what they put in these mosquito sprays these days? St Louis MO area as I know different cities and states have different regulations.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can find, the most common pesticide used for municipal mosquito spraying is Zenivex, which is made with etofenprox. It has low toxicity once dry, and only a small amount is used for fogging. So it should be ok, but now that you have the schedule, it wouldn't hurt to pick up the food those nights.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Yes they were here the other night and the cats are still fine from my observations. But I'll remember to pick up the food on those nights as well.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would imagine whatever they use must be safe to use around wildlife.Squirrels, birds, possom, etc. I've never seen dead ones around after the spray truck goes by. Sounds like you at least have a plan now to put into place. :thumbsup:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well now they don't seem so well so obviously they don't use safe products in the spray. And I'm laid up in bed with this blasted tooth so I can't go out and look for them. This gets worse by the minutes Crying over this :(

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your best bet for next time would be find out when they're going to spray and just don't put food out that night. The Cats will be a little hungry but they'll live.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea if they're ok and live til then. I have no idea what's happening to them at the moment as right now I'm laid up in bed :(