Spraying and Prozac

charley29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, My cat, deNiro, has been on Prozac 5mg daily since October 2016 and we have seen improvements in his behavior with our other cat and with spotting. I had our vet call the prescription into the local Walgreens and it came as 10 mg pills. I break the pills in half and put them into 'pill pockets.' For 85% of the time, they work. Every now and then he happens to bite directly into one and spits it out. However, overall, he loves the chicken flavored pill pockets and only gets them when it is dosing time. I usually start with one or two blanks, depending on his mood, then go for the real deal. I receive a prescription for about $30.00 for 30 pills so with splitting them it runs me about $15.00/ month not counting the treats. He only weighs 8 lbs, is 6, and 5mg / day is within the recommended dosing for him. I am not sure of your cat's age or weight but maybe going up to 5 mg from 4mg might work. Or, giving 5 mg every other day as an option also. If your vet recommends 4 mg x 7 days that's a weekly dose of 28 mg. 5 mg x 6 days = 30 mg is also an option; give one day off.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. My vet prescribed 2.5mg for both of my boys with their spraying. The pharmacy screwed up and gave boyfriend capsules for his cat so he has a milligram scale and measures it and then puts it in his food.
I get the 10mg caplets and break them into quarters and go for the pill pocket. They both stopped spraying within 48 hours. bubs are 12 lb 5 years old and 13 lbs 8 years old.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Wow ... Very interesting info. I have a few "boys" that have yet be neutered. One who is also had the spray habit ! I wonder if Zoloft works ? It is an SSRI as is Prozac.
The Sergeant's "calming collar" is what I will look for at the pet store .

krisk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
~ Wow ... Very interesting info. I have a few "boys" that have yet be neutered. One who is also had the spray habit ! I wonder if Zoloft works ? It is an SSRI as is Prozac.
The Sergeant's "calming collar" is what I will look for at the pet store .

krisk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I am new to this forum so hope I don't mess up the latest post.
Does anyone know about how long it took prosac to work for your male cat? I have a male neutered but for months has been urinating on furniture. Had a UTI got that treated but still urinating on furniture, towels on dryer, etc. I have him on Solliquin for about 12 days and it worked for 2 days but back to urinating on furniture.

Thanks, Kris

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my boys cleared up within 48 hours on 2.5 mg of Prozac, although the dosage up to 5 mg I've heard is acceptable. The only problem I end up with now is if I leave the windows open more than twenty minutes or so...then Stewart tries to spray but it's way more difficult on the meds

krisk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of my boys cleared up within 48 hours on 2.5 mg of Prozac, although the dosage up to 5 mg I've heard is acceptable. The only problem I end up with now is if I leave the windows open more than twenty minutes or so...then Stewart tries to spray but it's way more difficult on the meds
Thank you so much for your reply. I have ordered the liquid, tuna flavored and will put on his can food.
I have tried that Solliquin (natural remedy supplement) in his can food but problem is he picks at it and I have many other cats.
Thanks again.

janrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It worked the first day on my cat.. He is 4 years old and 6 1/2lbs. He was urinating all over the place and also starting to cry at night.. First dose and it all stopped.. HE was on prozac for over a 18 months. .I weaned him off and he was good for about 8 months. Then it all started again.. Back on prozac.. It took his appetite away and he is so small already. .(2.5mg) So I stopped it for a week and now am giving him around 1 and half to 2 mg. .I buy the 10 mg at CVS and cut them in 4 and then cut them again. 2.5 mg is too much for him. HE gets zonked out and sleeps all day on that amount plus doesnt eat. But to answer your question it worked the first day even though Drs say that it takes weeks to work.