Spraying and fluoxetine question...super long post...sorry!

ktm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!  I'm new here though I've been lurking and reading for quite some time.  Before I get to my question, I'll give you all a bit of history on cat, Ty.  We've had Ty and his sister for over 4 years.  They were littermates who  couldn't have too different personalities if you tried.  From the get-go, he was very outgoing and a total lovebug.  She is very shy which I blame on her being born with an umbilical hernia...I think that the family we got them from may have been a little scared of it.  I'm a nurse so my first reaction was to press on it to make sure that it wasn't strangulated.  :)

We had a problem-free home until about 2 years ago when DH and I had a several month span when either both of us or one of us were traveling practically every weekend.  It was around Easter when we found the first "spot" in our guest room.  Of course we had company in town (my mom) who found this area on the side of the guest bed that had been sprayed.  We have no idea how long it had been going on at that point.  Because it was late when we found it, I cleaned it with non-enzyme cleaner before eventually purchasing a cheaper enzyme one.  My previous cat had gone outside of the litterbox a few times, but it was no big deal and ended rather quickly.

Unfortunately, these methods didn't work, and we eventually started shutting the cats out of the guest room.  We weren't sure which on was the culprit until we caught Ty spraying on the side of our bed not too long afterwards.  He has always gone in the litterbox as well.  We have two of them (we had a third in the master bathroom bathtub that no one ever used so we switched it out for one of the older ones). We have tried everything to make it stop. We've surrounded the bed with foil.  We've done months of Feliway diffusers.  We've tried Rescue Remedy.  We've cleaned the carpet and padding underneath with the vinegar-baking soda-hydrogen peroxide combo prior to using the enzyme cleaner on it.  We've gone through gallons and gallons of Nature's Miracle.  We've put pepper down on top of the foil.  We've tried making sure to give him more attention.  As his sister has become less shy over the years, she has taken away from his being our #1 object of affection, but we try to balance time with solo and shared playtime with them.  We would have brief periods of respite from the pee storm, but if we went out of town, it would start again.  There were times when it would get so bad, and I'd get so frustrated that I'd just cry.  I knew that he wasn't doing it to hurt us, but it would be so tiring to come home from a long day at work to find that I would have to pull all the sheets and wash the comforter.  We got a second comforter to use when the other one was in the wash.  We started shutting off all rooms (guest room, office, master bedroom).

When it came time for his yearly exam last fall, we had the vet test him for UTI.  He was fine but they gave me an antibiotic to treat him "just in case" while we waited for the UA results, and oddly enough, the behavior stopped.  We had discussed starting meds for him, but when the behavior stopped/slowed down considerably, we decided not to.

Several months later, however, our neighbors (we live in condos) had a similar problem after they had their 2nd child and tossed their kitty outside.  That poor kitty had been an indoor kitty his whole life, and he would sit in our window and cry and cry which as you can imagine set off the spraying again (the kitty knew us because we kitty-sat for them all the time. Ty started spraying on the side of our bed that is closest to the window instead of the foot of the bed.  URGH!!!!!!!  Our neighbors moved and took their cat with them, and while the spraying continued, it was less frequent and more manageable.  We got a new bed and comforter (and mattress and box spring protectors).  We started using our old comforter as a "pee catcher."

Several weeks ago after a nice period of low spray frequency, it started up again.  We had our condo painted which brought chaos and stress for all of us.  On top of it, I'm 6 months pregnant, and we are turning our office into a nursery.  He started using a corner in our bedroom as well as the foot of the bed and a chair that used to be in our bedroom that he had used a few times that is now in our living room.  One night, I totally broke down and decided that when he had his vet appointment this month that we would put him on meds.  I researched and researched and talked to the vet, and we decided on Prozac.

Last night, we gave him Prozac/fluoxetine for the first time.  Ours is a fish flavored suspension from a local compound pharmacy.  He seemed more tired/lethargic afterwards.  His appetite seems to be down (aka he came for his morning treats but didn't eat them).  I was just wondering about others' experiences with Prozac.  Specifically, how long do those two side effects last?  I left our bedroom door open so I expect some spray since he hasn't been on the medication long.  I'm also hoping that the med will help his terrorizing his sister which he does every once in a while as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read our saga!!!!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site, sorry it's under these conditions.
I can't address the peeing/spraying situation--thankfully Ritz (female) never did that.
She has been diagnosed with FHS, also known as rippling skin syndrome: she twitches, licks herself furiously, and sometimes races away from whatever it is causing her skin to ripple. One theory is that it is a neurological problem, and Prozac is recommended.
Her appetite decreased (she loves to eat--very noticeable), slept a lot, and just wasn't herself for about the first two weeks she was on it. The recommended dose was 1.0 ml once a day; upon talking with her vet, we reduced it to .8 a day. Her body eventually adjusted itself to the side effects. She was on the drug for about three months, the symptoms decreased, and I eventually weaned her off of it.
Do know that sometimes it takes a couple of trials of different drugs to work, and sometimes even a combination of drugs. But drugs are very useful, especially if medical and behavioral issues have been ruled out.
PS: I would recommened Feliway and perhaps Rescue Remedy to reduce stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish that Feliway and/or Rescue Remedy had worked.  :(   We tried them during the first year, and I gave up after several months. 

Tonight, my attempts to give Ty his dosage via suspension was a bust.  I ended up with a big ole scratch on my arm, and I think he hates me now.  I got in about .35 ml of the .5 ml that he is supposed to get.  I guess it's better than nothing.   Any tips on how to give your kitty suspension meds would be awesome.  You'd think that as a nurse that I'd be better at this....lol. 

I think one thing that makes the whole med thing hard for me is that it reminds me of when my old kitty lost his fight against CRF.  I opted not to try pills/pill pockets because they didn't work for him when I'd try to give him Pepcid.  Seeing Ty not eating reminds me of it, too.  He won't even eat treats or the wet food that I put out prior to the .  Maybe I'm just hormonal, but I'm sitting here trying really hard not to cry.

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat on prozac too. He's also a sprayer which is what we use the prozac for and it DOES work! He had the same side effects initially, but they went away after about 2 weeks so I wouldn't worry too much yet. For us though, it DID change his personality a bit, but this was good in our situation. Moe was always very high strung and neurotic. He literally used to run up walls and do flips off of them. He was like a furry tornado through the house! The prozac put an end to the spraying problem, but it also mellowed him out a bit. He's still VERY playful and energetic, but the literal bouncing off the walls has mostly stopped. So just keep in mind that it may mellow your cat out a little bit beyond the spraying, but constant lethargy should pass within a week or two. I hope that helps!

ktm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply!  I'm glad to hear for everyone that 2 weeks sounds to be about how long it will take for Ty to adjust to the meds.  Now, if I can just get it in his mouth.  Try #1 this evening was another bust.  I didn't even get it close to his mouth.  Sigh....

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure if you've covered or know this, but Prozac (and a lot of other medications--especially those prescribed for humans) can be compounded into a flavored liquid.

Ritz quite enjoyed her tuna/chicken flavored Prozac.  (She also liked bubblegum flavored antibiotics....)

ktm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ty's Prozac is "triple fish flavored" with real fish (we live on the coast) from a compound pharmacy.

Do you think that the liquid being cold versus warm/room temperature makes a difference? 

My husband helped last night with the dosing after two failed attempts at giving it to him which made it go a lot easier.  So far, we haven't had any spraying episodes since the meds started.  I know it's too early for it to be the meds, but it's nice not to come home to pee...yet.  I'm sure it'll happen again at some point, but a decrease in frequency is a win in my book! 

ktm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:  I called the vet today because Ty has been very lethargic and hasn't been eating at all...no treats, nothing.  He has noticeable lost weight. He hasn't been greeting us at the door like usual.  They recommended reducing his dosage to half (0.25ml).  I spoke with one of the other vets who has had kitty pee and aggression issues, too, and she also recommended a nurturecalm collar.  I ordered one from amazon.com so we'll see.  As for the pee,  we had one spraying incident yesterday on the chair in the living room, but the bedroom has been pee free!  Yay!