Spotlight of the Week - SnowLeop!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had such an awesome week as spotlight - but I am ready to pass the ball to another member now. Ya'll ask some TOUGH questions!!! I really learned a lot about me this week though and I had a lot of fun meeting more of you.

This week I wanted to pass this thread on to one of the sweetest people I have come across on TCS. She always has such supportive things to say to everyone about them and their furbabies!

Hope you have a great week Colleen. I can't wait to learn more about you.

Here are some questions to get you started:

1. Where do you grow up/and where do you live now? what brought you to where you are now if you live somewhere different.
2. What made you decide to become a teacher?
3. What is your favorite food?
4. What are your favorite hobbies or pastimes?
5. If you hit the lottery and won $10,000 what would you do with the money?

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Morning Collen!
congrats for the nomination!!!!

hummmmmm
let´s see....

1.- you´re teacher of wich grade ( I mean you work with Kids..teenages or young people?)
2.- Are you religious?
3.- You drink Normal pop or Diet?
4.- Do you have siblings?
Cheers!

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Snowleop (colleen)

1# are you planning any vactions this year?
2# Did you have a best friend in school
3# Do you have any hobbies?

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Colleen!
How wonderful to get to know you better this week!

1. What inspired Penelope and Molly's names?
2. What do you do to relax and unwind?
3. What do you wear around the house just relaxing?
4. Do you pack your lunch for work or buy? What do you have?
5. What's your favorite thing about working at a school?

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay Colleen! I was so glad to hear you were going to be the spotlight - you are a blast!

I have a couple of simple questions, mainly because my mind isn't up to speed yet to think of harder ones!

1. What are you looking forward to for 2005? Anything big on the agenda? Anything you would LIKE to happen?

2. If you had free time, what would you do? (Take a bubble bath, read a book, watch TV, etc)

3. If it was your birthday today, what would you LOVE to get as presents?

4. What's your favorite chocolate/sweet?

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!

1. Do you like your name, Colleen? (I do!) If you don't like it, what would you want your name to be?

2. Do you like popsicles? If so, which flavor?

3. When you're sick, are you a whiner or do you suffer in silence?

4. Do you know how to start a fire in a fireplace?

5. What is the scaredest you've ever been?

Thank you!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations Colleen!

If you were granted three wishes what would they be and why?

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Beryl! Hope I can do as good a job as you at answering questions. Here it goes...

1. Where do you grow up/and where do you live now? what brought you to where you are now if you live somewhere different.
I moved around quite a bit growing up. In fact, I've never lived anywhere more that five years! I'm a "corporate brat" which means my father worked for a large company and his getting promoting usually entailed the family moving to a different state. Growing up, I lived in upstate New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Texas, Luxembourg, and Belgium (the last two are small countries in Europe). As an adult I lived in Rhode Island (I went to college there), Washington D.C., upstate New York, Washington state, California, and Georgia

2. What made you decide to become a teacher? I've tried other jobs in the legal and corporate sector and this one just seems to be the best fit. I'm good at it and it's fulfilling work.

3. What is your favorite food? Here are some of my favorites: grapefruit, soft pretzels with mustard, salads with crisp lettuce and oil and vinegar dressing, and olives (green and black)

4. What are your favorite hobbies or pastimes? running (though I haven't been doing much lately in the cold weather), crossword puzzles, reading, "sunning," snuggling with kitties, hiking, swimming, watching movies.

5. If you hit the lottery and won $10,000 what would you do with the money?[/I'd use it as a down payment for a condominium or house.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1.- you´re teacher of wich grade ( I mean you work with Kids..teenages or young people?) I've taught all age levels including college (as a grad student) and community college. Currently, I work with high school students -- mostly juniors and seniors in high school.

2.- Are you religious? I was raised a Catholic and I've been going to church fairly regularly in the past few months but I don't agree with much of the Catholic doctrine (for example, that unbaptised babies go to hell), so I look at organized religion as a launching point for spirituality and reflection on spirituality.

I read a book this summer which I liked called The Book of Pi by Yann Martel. The little boy protaganist, Piscine ("Pi" for short), is fascinated with religions and becomes a member of the Hindu faith, the Christian faith, and the Muslim faith. At one point, his mentors (in each religion) become aware of Pi's religious "philandering" and confront him and his family:
The pandit spoke first. "Mr. Patel, Piscine's piety is admirable. In these troubled times it's good to see a boy so keen on God. We all agree on that." The imam and the priest nodded. "But he can't be a Hindu, a Christian and a Muslim. It's imppossible. He must choose."

"I don't think it's a crime, but I suppose you're right," Father replied.

The three murmered agreement and looked heavenward, as did Father, whence they felt the decision must come. Mother looked at me.

A slience fell heavily on my shoulders.

"Hmmm, Piscine"" Mother nudged me. "How do you feel about the question?"

"Bapu Gandhi said, 'All religions are true.' I just want to love God," I blurted out, and looked down, red in the face.

3.- You drink Normal pop or Diet? Both! It depends on what's available and how sugary of a drink I feel like having.

4.- Do you have siblings? Yes, an older sister and a younger brother.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Rhonda! Good questions. Okay, here goes...

1# are you planning any vactions this year? I'm planning to visit my sister and brother and their families in D.C. sometime in the spring. I'm planning to go to France for a month this fall.

2# Did you have a best friend in school? I suppose the colleague who shares my office is my best friend at school. (I teach and do administrative work so I have an office!) He's very different from me and can get on my nerves but he's also extremely funny and helps me to not take it all too seriously!

3# Do you have any hobbies? Running, reading, watching movies, snuggling with kitties, puzzles, "sunning," hiking, swimming.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Stephanie! Here are my answers:

1. What inspired Penelope and Molly's names? I actually started calling Penelope "Peanut Butter" because she has a tan splotch on her chest which looks like a smudge of peanut butter. My boyfriend at the time said that was an awful name, so I suggested Penelope. Penelope is small and dark and has a cute cute face so, I'm a bit embarassed to admit, the inspiration was not just the "P" sound from "Peanut Butter" but also Penelope Cruz! Anyway, Penelope it was!

Penelope was the kitten who looked after the runt of the litter, another black fluffy kitty who seemed sort of sickly. We were coaxed into taking her, too, and named her EsmÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] (from J.D. Salinger's story, "For EsmÃ[emoji]169[/emoji], With Love and Squalor"). Unfortunately, EsmÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] had a congenital heart defect and died two weeks after we brought her home.

We decided to take Molly, the other female in the litter, because we felt Penelope should have a companion. We also helped the principal (the kittens were found in a school parking lot) find homes for the remaining two boys.

Anyway, Molly looks like a Maine Coon cat so we wanted a New Englandy name. She's also a fluffy, girly cat so we wanted a fluffy, girly name. The clincher, though, was when a friend of mine, a graduate student at Stanford and a big James Joyce fan, suggested "Molly." Anyone else out there who had to read James Joyce's novel, Ulysses in college? Well, Ulysses is structurally modeled after Homer's The Odyssey. The Odyssey tells the story of Ulysses on his way back home from the Trojan War. The way back home ends up being a meandering journey full of difficulties and adventures. In Ulysses, Leopold Bloom, ends up on the same kind of "journey" -- sort of -- he wanders around drunk on the streets of Dublin. Anyway, in The Odyssey, Penelope is the wife of Ulysses, home and hearth figure, etc. In Ulysses, it's Molly Bloom. In short, Joyce created a literary link between the names "Penelope" and "Molly" and I took advantage of it!

2. What do you do to relax and unwind? Snuggle with kitties, watch movies, watch TV

3. What do you wear around the house just relaxing? Usually, pajamas, or a tank top and soccer shorts.

4. Do you pack your lunch for work or buy? What do you have? We have food at school so I usually eat what's there. The school is based in two houses with kitchens. They keep the refrigerator and cupboards stocked with healthy snacks for the kids, the faculty, and staff (nice, huh?
). I usually have a salad for lunch and a piece of fruit and pretzels as a snack in the afternoon.

5. What's your favorite thing about working at a school? I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. Also, long vacations!

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys ask good questions!

1. What are you looking forward to for 2005? Anything big on the agenda? Anything you would LIKE to happen? I'm planning to go to France for a month this summer.

2. If you had free time, what would you do? (Take a bubble bath, read a book, watch TV, etc) I do all of the above!

3. If it was your birthday today, what would you LOVE to get as presents? Probably, a gift certificate to Drs. Foster and Smith!

4. What's your favorite chocolate/sweet? I love Lindt chocolate -- especially, their milk chocolate bar with hazelnuts.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew! You guys ask tough questions!

1. Do you like your name, Colleen? (I do!) If you don't like it, what would you want your name to be? I didn't like the name that much when I was a girl but I like it fine now. I wouldn't want to change it!

2. Do you like popsicles? If so, which flavor?
I like popsicles if they are low sugar (or sugar-free) and fruit juice based. My favorite flavor is cherry!

3. When you're sick, are you a whiner or do you suffer in silence? I whine a little bit but I think I'm pretty good at suffering in silence.

4. Do you know how to start a fire in a fireplace? Open the flu, put a log in, some kindling, and light a match? I think I did it with my mom's supervision when I was a kid but no one in my family has had a fireplace for a long time!

5. What is the scaredest you've ever been? The day (October 29, 2004) I had to take Penelope to the Emergency room. She wasn't breathing well and the doctors took a long time to diagnose her condition. In fact, she saw two more vets that day before she had a tentative diagnosis of pyothorax. She took antibiotics for 10 weeks but she is still not out of the woods. She had a strange something on her lung in the last set of radiographs so I have to monitor her for a month before we go back, check a new set of x-rays, and determine what to do.
She does seem to be doing pretty well, though -- eating, playing, sleeping, cuddling. For the past few days, she had a coughing attack once a day -- usually, in the evenings. Tonight, no coughing attack yet.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I think my responses are a bit long-winded, huh? I'll try and be more concise!

If you were granted three wishes what would they be and why?

I feel very "Miss America-ish" saying this but I would feel obligated to say

1. For everyone in the world to place a stronger priority on caring for each other and the ecosystem we live in. For example, it'd be nice to see more people put more energy into projects which help homeless people and animals improve their quality of life.

Then here are a couple of selfish wishes:

3. For myself to have more strength, energy, and optimism.

4. For both my cats to lead full and happy lives. (I've been very very worried about Penelope's health these past few months
)

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank´s for your answers Collen...

Here´s my shoots again: ...

1.- Do you know MÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]xico?
2.- Can you speak spanish?
3.- Wich countrys have you ever visited?
4.- Like to swim?
5.- Wich weather you prefer, Hot or Cold?
6.- Do you have indoor plants?
Have a nice day

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How have i missed this?????????????????

1. Have you ever lied on the telephone?

2. Have you ever got to a checkout and realised you didn't have enough money on you?
(I'd faint if that ever happen to me!)

3. Do you like ironing?

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are my questions!!

1 What is your favourite feel good outfit?

2 Do you have any piercings/tattoos?

3 Do you have a car? If so what is it?

4 What is your favourite game to play with Molly and Penelope?

5 What was your favourite subject in school?

6 What is the subject you teach now? (or favourite if you teach more than one)

(Great answers! I am now looking to read 'The Book of Pi'! I have heard of it before, but I didn't know the author - Thank you!)

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, all! Thanks for the questions!

1.- Do you know MÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]xico?
I lived in Texas for five years but never visited Mexico.
That was stupid, huh?

2.- Can you speak Spanish?
I took Spanish classes in Junior High School and for the first two years of High School. (This is when I lived in Texas). Unfortunately, when I learned French (my family moved to Luxembour when I was 16), the French erased the Spanish. (Actually, that's one of the subjects I teach -- French!)

3.- Which countrys have you ever visited? I lived in Luxembourg and Belgium. I have visited Canada, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Monaco, and Russia. I've been in the Reykjavik, Iceland airport many times (Iceland Air used to have a flight from New York to Luxembourg with a stop in Reykjavik) but never took the time to visit the country. Doh!

4.- Like to swim? I do like to swim. I'm not that great at it but I enjoy it.

5.- Which weather you prefer, Hot or Cold? Definitely, Hot!!!

6.- Do you have indoor plants? No because I'm worried about what my cats would do to them. I had an African Violet for a couple of days before they ate all the flowers!

Have a nice day
Thanks. You, too!