Spontaneous abortion but Still pregnant

chuiandlullah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this is my first post.
I am a bengal breeder expecting our first litter of kittens.
My Lullah is now 59 days pregnant but at 56 days delivered a single stillborn. It had short fur down its back and head but none from the belly down (just it's marking colours on the skin of the tummy) and it's hind legs didn't look quite 'ready'. I phoned the Vets who assured me that as her labour had stopped, she had 'closed back up' with no discharge and she was in no distress that I could wait for her to deliver the remaining kittens at her due date but that if labour picks up again and she's distressed or if I see any bloody mucous or stop feeling kitten movement then to get her straight in.
Ok, so I haven't left her side since and all appears perfectly normal, I can see and feel the kittens moving well but her milk came in yesterday and now I'm wondering if this is because of her one delivery or if it is the 24-48 hour 'kitten watch' for the rest of the litter?
She's eating and drinking but very sleepy today just as she was before delivering and I noticed right before she delivered she had a small lose bowel movement which all returned to normal after delivery but I've just witnessed it again this morning. I guess my biggest worry is leaving her side, I do need to do school runs and sleep ofcourse but I'm scared to leave her incase she needs me. Will the milk come in after a spontaneous abortion or should I be ready for another delivery? Although I fear it's still a little early at 59 days if the one we lost wasn't completely ready at 56 days.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got sound advices by the vets.   Cats can do so, abort one and have normal pregnancy  with the rest.   Or deliver one, pause, and deliver the rest a day or two later...   Is she seems ok etc, you can wait and see.

When they have abort of prematures, they usually dont get milk.  This is one of the reasons prematures must often be bottle fed if you want to save them.

What you write hints she is nearing a delivery.    As you say, it is a little early.  But this is partly indiviudal.  One of our forumists told her persian was always delivering on day 58.  Perhaps her mom was also an early deliverer??   Can you phone the owner of her mom and ask??

Anyway, signs here and there, but the exact hour, even exact day, is a game of guesses.  They come when they come.   Unless you notice something is grossly wrong and ask the vet do a cesarean to save the mom.

Good luck!

some links

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chuiandlullah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fantastic, thank you for your response.