Spoiling Picky Eaters?

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is the most finicky cat I have ever known when it comes to eating. I drive myself crazy trying to get her to eat.

The thing is, most times she shuns her food, she is more than happy to eat kibble or tuna based foods, so I know she can smell OK and is not feeling too bad to eat. She's just super picky.

During her hunger strikes I'm often tempted to just give her kibble or the tuna she likes (she'll only eat tuna: no other seafood).

But I don't do it and here's why: I'm afraid if I relent and give her tuna or kibble, that's all she'll expect and want. Then I'll be stuck with a cat who only eats dry food and tuna flavored wet food, and I'd like to avoid that as it doesn't seem healthy.

Will a cat shun one food knowing there's a tasiter (but not optimal) flavor in the cabinet that I'm holding out on? Of course, when she goes over a day without eating I will give her the tuna, but as her hunger strikes become more and more frequent, I'm starting to suspect that she's just holding out in the hopes that all she'll get is dry food and kibble and won't ever accept the healthier options.

Is this valid?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat keeps looking up on the counter because she wants a different food or crushed freeze dried treats. If I continue to give that to her,she will not eat without it. My other cat doesn't care. She just wants to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had nine cats in my life and this is the first one with appetite issues. I suppose in the past I've been lucky, but I feel helpless with this one.

Maybe a doctor visit might be a good idea.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried crushing up some of her kibble and sprinkling it over some wet food that isn't tuna? That may help, or may not...hard to say. Of course, you could have a Vet check her over, but it doesn't sound like a health issue to me since she is still eating, and especially since she is eating kibble. sometimes if cats have an issue with their teeth, they won't eat kibble because it might hurt more than eating wet food. (but is is always a good idea to have a Vet exam at least annually anyway)

I have a very picky cat who often refusing ALL food, and we've been to the Vet on numerous times, I even asked for an ultrasound and that came back clear. He's just a very picky cat. HATES tuna, even human tuna. Doesn't like salmon unless it's freeze dried. Basically doesn't like any fishy cat food, hates turkey, is so so about lamb, every so often will eat beef. We keep Mirataz on hand just for the days when nothing meets his satisfaction. I did learn though, finally, after 13 years, not to keep offering something and if he doesn't eat it to toss that down the drain and try something else. Now if he doesn't eat it, he has to wait until the next meal. then if he doesn't eat at the next meal, I toss THAT and he has to wait until the next meal. (We serve up three meals per day to the cats) By the last meal if he hasn't eaten anything, I will give him some freeze dried meat just so he has something on his stomach, and that will usually stimulate his appetite enough that he eats a little bit of whatever I've served for dinner. If he still doesn't eat anything, I dose him with Mirataz the next mornng because that at least ensures he will eat pretty well for a day or two. And repeat. it's exhausting, but that's our life. It's a good thing he's so cute :loveeyes:

In your case, since you know she will eat at least TWO items, if using toppers doesn't help, and withholding food for a couple of meals doesn't work, I'd probably just feed her kibble mainly and then give her wet food every few days. And make sure she drinks plenty of water (you could even add water to the food at wet food meals). Many, many cats eat only kibble for their entire lives and live long and healthy lives. There are no guarantees either way though.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I think my cat is being picky,other times no appetite. I assume she is acting OK and you have checked the litter box? Some days she's ok,other days she is picky so I know somethings wrong. I am calling tomorrow

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could look into this tuna food ;).

purecravings .com
Wow! I am looking into that. Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens: I've pretty much been doing what you said about taking up the food if she doesn't eat it and making her wait. The problem is that if she doesn't eat later in the day, then it's been a whole 24 hours already.

I suppose I will simply continue to try new things with her and just give her the tuna when I feel too many hours have passed since her last nibble. I'll give her kibble but not too much. Isn't kibble very filling?

100 copy.jpg

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you try mixing the tuna wet food with another wet food, experimenting with the proportions? In that way you might be able to get some other foods into her.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just tried a tuna/chicken mix and she ate it. Better than all tuna.
This is great! And don't worry, it can get better! My girl is extremely picky and was addicted to dry food and tuna when we adopted her 8 years ago when she was 2.5 years old. Her eating habits are still an evolving journey, but they're significantly better than before. One thing that was important was for us to respect how strong-willed she is and to let her set the pace - she accepts new foods when she's good and ready.

Here are a few things that worked well for us:

1. Gravy works wonders! We started by mixing foods she would eat with healthier options plus added gravy or broth. The ratio of healthy food increased slowly over time.

2. Keeping her fed when she's hungry. It took a while to realize withholding food/forcing healthy food only is the opposite of what we she needed. She will eat more and be more open to new foods if her last meal was satisfying and filling. Sometimes that means a meal of lousy food first and a healthy meal later. It also helps her look forward to mealtimes and not view it as a struggle.

3. Lots of variety! She would eat seafood all day, every day if we let her. She doesn't find healthy foods as appetizing, so we rotate a variety of canned foods before she can get bored. We currently have 5 different canned foods she'll usually eat. I'd love to offer her more, we're always trying new foods, and ideally we'd have a different option for each day of the week.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also worth noting is that the flavor of Fancy Feast she was eating (grilled chicken) went missing a few months ago. After not having it in stock for a while, when Chewy notified me that it was back, so I ordered six cases. Now she won't eat it.

Methinks that Fancy Feast messed with the ingredients and the new recipe is not to her liking. So now I have six cases of grilled chicken she won't eat, four cases of liver and chicken that offends her, and cases and cases of various other brands and flavors that did not pass the test.

Does anybody want them?

I suppose I should do the right thing and donate them, but I'm on a fixed income and if I could recoup even a fraction of the hundreds I spent on food she will not eat it would be of help.

Maybe I can sell the unopened cases on ebay?

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is great! And don't worry, it can get better! My girl is extremely picky and was addicted to dry food and tuna when we adopted her 8 years ago when she was 2.5 years old. Her eating habits are still an evolving journey, but they're significantly better than before. One thing that was important was for us to respect how strong-willed she is and to let her set the pace - she accepts new foods when she's good and ready.

Here are a few things that worked well for us:

1. Gravy works wonders! We started by mixing foods she would eat with healthier options plus added gravy or broth. The ratio of healthy food increased slowly over time.

2. Keeping her fed when she's hungry. It took a while to realize withholding food/forcing healthy food only is the opposite of what we she needed. She will eat more and be more open to new foods if her last meal was satisfying and filling. Sometimes that means a meal of lousy food first and a healthy meal later. It also helps her look forward to mealtimes and not view it as a struggle.

3. Lots of variety! She would eat seafood all day, every day if we let her. She doesn't find healthy foods as appetizing, so we rotate a variety of canned foods before she can get bored. We currently have 5 different canned foods she'll usually eat. I'd love to offer her more, we're always trying new foods, and ideally we'd have a different option for each day of the week.
That's very helpful! Thanks!

Also, I'm wondering if the weather has anything to do with it. It's been VERY hot lately, and I know my appetite gets quite low in the hot weather. Could this be true for her as well?

I suppose it will be an evolving journey for Maple, too. I'm just thankful there is at least one flavor I KNOW she will eat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Talk to chewy first, they may take back the unopened cases--they're good about understanding about finicky kitties 😻

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Talk to chewy first, they may take back the unopened cases--they're good about understanding about finicky kitties 😻
I forgot about that option! Chewy has refunded food for me before--and they didn't even want it shipped back. Nice to know. I'm not sure I'd want cat food shipped to me that somebody else sent back.

I like Chewy. They are VERY easy to get on the phone, always helpful and friendly, and I get the impression most, if not all of their CSR's are pet lovers. In the past I've had them reference my cat by name apropos of nothing. A nice personal touch.

Regarding the Fancy Feast Maple will no longer eat: I separated all the cans I have in my cabinet by lot number so I knew which ones are from the new batch. I have maybe 10 cans I bought back in May. If she eats any of them, then my theory about Purina changing the recipe is probably correct. I'll try feeding it to her tonight and I'll post the results.