Splitting capstar

xsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would it be safe to split a 57mg capstar pill for large dogs into 5 x 11.4mg doses for cats? The pill would be crushed to ensure more even dispersal of the active ingredient and doses would be weighed.

I know people do this with spot-on treatments but only found one post indicating that capstar for dogs is fine for cats. Has anyone done this or know if it’s ok to do so?

Thanks! ❤

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should call the vet and ask. The vet will be able to tell you the correct amount to give, if the dog version is safe to give at all.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, this is a vet question. It isn't just the dosages, it is also the ingredients that you must make sure are cat-safe. Cats and dogs have very different physiologies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since posting, I found this on the manufactures website:

Can I use the same product on my dog and cat?
Yes, you may administer Capstar for Small Dogs (11.4 mg) or Capstar for Cats (11.4 mg) to dogs, puppies, cats and kittens 4 weeks of age or older and between 2 and 25 pounds of body weight. Capstar tablets should be administered according to the dosing schedule on the label. Weigh your pet prior to administration to ensure proper dosing. Do not give Capstar for Large Dogs to cats or small dogs.

So it appears they are the same formulation. The last statement is likely due to the higher dose for large dogs. The cost is essentially the same though, for 5x the nitenpyram (capstar).