Splish Splash...here we go again

luvmybengals33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy Sangha has always loved to tip the water bowl over. I tried getting a heavier bowl so he couldn't tip it anymore but he'd still just splash around in it until it was empty and my kitchen floor was covered in water so I eventually gave up and started leaving the bowl in the bathtub. This was about 5yrs ago that I gave up the battle. Well ever since my boy Titan got sick last week I went out and bought one of those pet fountains and put it in the kitchen to try and encourange Titan to drink. It actually seems to be helping however Sangha is up to his old tricks lol. The first few days he was behaving himself with just a little bit of splashing and licking his paw but last night he had his 2 front legs in there and he was going crazy. I couldn't even help but laugh because he reminded me of how my son used to play when he was a toddler and I used to take him to the spray park. Last night's episode took 3 towels to clean up. I've already had to replace another towel today. I really though he'd have grown out of this by now

fivecatsandacam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats do the same and I haven't found a solution.  I just use a very heavy shallow bowl and I don't put too much water in it since I have to refill it several times a day because my cats always put random objects in it.  I would say that verbally discouraging the behavior would help, but I know cats are sneaky creatures who misbehave as soon as your back is turned ;)

Since you need the fountain there for your sick kitty, I would maybe attempt some sort of dam made of towels to minimize the area the water spills and try to keep a good sense of humor about cat mischief.