Spikey coat / staring coat

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy was diagnosed with possible IBD about a year ago. He is on Budesonide after trying all the usual drugs and it has been working. He is on a chicken only diet and that has really helped. Did that about six months back. So for about a year his coat has been spikey and weird. He's always had a beautiful coat. Vet was here last week and said he seems very healthy.
Any ideas beyond extra brushing that may help?

This is what I'm seeing

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, that could have been a photo of my boy a few months ago, but honestly, brushing seems to be the best approach. I also picked up a leave-on oatmeal coat conditioner which seems to help a bit, but my intent with that is to find out this coming winter if it takes care of his dry skin/dandruff. (Some coat conditioners have aloe, just as a side note and since my guy is Hyper-T I have to avoid them due to iodine in the aloe, so I can't speak to those).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what type of brush do you use?

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, that could have been a photo of my boy a few months ago, but honestly, brushing seems to be the best approach. I also picked up a leave-on oatmeal coat conditioner which seems to help a bit, but my intent with that is to find out this coming winter if it takes care of his dry skin/dandruff. (Some coat conditioners have aloe, just as a side note and since my guy is Hyper-T I have to avoid them due to iodine in the aloe, so I can't speak to those).
Oops didnt hit reply just posted again! What type of brush do you use? Was his coat really nice prior? How old is your boy?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
brushing her daily has taken care of that for the most part. I use a metal tonged brush.
What type of brush do you use? Was his coat really nice prior? How old is your boy?
He's 17.5 years old :) and he started to have dandruff a few years ago but his coat was good up until maybe a year or 6 months ago? We tried fish oil with no effect regarding the dandruff/dry skin, and I was brushing him intermittently with a furminator, then a zoomgroom and finally landed in a slicker brush like feebysowner uses. Eventually I found a way to fit grooming him daily on a consistent basis into my schedule, and it's really made a difference 👍

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After you started brushing with the slicker brush did the dandruff look worse initially? How long before coat seemed normal again?