Spike has a new vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by uabassoon
I'm happy to hear that you are happy with Spike's new vet. And I'm sending best wishes that his eye gets better soon.

Have you tried just leaving the carrier out all the time. Take off the door, put a nice blanket, some treats and favorite toys in there. I turned my carrier into a kitty den so now they don't think of it as something bad. I just leave it out all the time, then when it's time to go to vets I put treats in there and when they walk in I put the door back on.
Thank you uabassoon.
His eye is looking a little bit better today, at least so far.

And I leave his carrier out all the time. It has a comfy towel in there, and we play with it on occassion too. He pretends he's a goalie and sits inside while I try to roll toys past him into it. He doesn't mind playing in it, but he seems to know when I'm about to close him in there, and promptly hides.

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you found a vet that you like, I found one last year that is so wonderful! I wouldnt think of going to anyone else! She calls to check up on them and yesterday she even called to locate some special food for one of mine and called me back to tell me she ordered it just for my kitten! I got a call yesterday from her, not her receptionist to tell me she found some and I could pick it up on Monday. I really like her, she is a special veterinarian to me. We live in a fairly small town and she is very busy and it really means alot to me for her to go the extra step. When my daughters kitten was sick last January, she even gave us her cell phone number in case she needed to be contacted and came in on New Years Day to see him, and didnt even charge us.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teresa, I'm sorry your vet is like that. I think they usually take the cats out of sight because if they have to draw blood they think the owner will freak seeing blood drawn from the cat's neck. If a new technician at the clinic that doesn't know me wants to take my cat to the back I ask why, and never let them just whisk the cat away. If they say it's for bloodwork I tell them I've seen it before, and that I think the cat will be calmer in my presence. But then you have to allow them to work on her in your sight and not get upset - the staff needs to hold the cat tight so no-one (including the cat) gets injured when they work on her. Some people get upset to see that, and the emotion gets transmitted to the cat, who then struggles more.

Wow, Jenn - Sounds like your previous vet wasn't thorough at all!
My vet says that "picky" owners are the best because they help him to catch problems early! Owners will notice things (esp. behavior changes) at home that the vet won't see in the clinic. Cat's can't talk, so he relies on owners' observations. I took my Macumba to the vet when she was 11 just because she was drinking more than usual; turned out she was in early kidney failure. With early detection and management, she lived to be 17. It's great you found a better vet. Your babies will probably live longer and healthier lives because of it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Malynn, it sounds like you have a terrific vet, wow.
I hope mine turns out to be that good as well.

Tess - no, my previous vets weren't the best, at least IMO. I mean, I know I'm slightly over the top when it comes to Spike. But I'm his mommy and I worry. And it's not like I enjoy taking him to the vet's, so it's not as if I was dragging him there for no reason. And it sounds like you're one observant kitty-mommy.
I'm glad Macumba had you looking out for her.