Sphynx Cat in labor? (Temp drop)

Dreamm1e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a sphynx cat named Bean and for the last four days we’ve been playing the waiting game for babies. She’s been producing colostrum/milk for four days now. I have a video and suspect the day she mated to be 12/21/22 which would make her 63 days pregnant today. The last four days her temp has been as follows. 99.2,98.5,98.5,99.1, taken rectally, so she’s had a low temp and have been expecting labor for days now. I can palpate her and feel there’s a baby about an inch from her vagina(they have all moved down the last day or two) but she’s still not displaying any other signs of labor. With the temperature drop I’m starting to get a little worried and wanted to get some others peoples inputs. I can still feel/see kittens moving so I’m sure that they are alive.she’s also had wet poop the last two days and spends more time in the litter box when trying to poop. Should I be worried and seeking an emergency vet due to temp, or am I just being an overbearing owner going crazy waiting for babies. These pictures posted have been from the last week, she’s been very affectionate (more so then usual) as well

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
63 days isnt late, its the usual... What is her normal temp? I suppose she had dropped, ie is less than on those pics from last week?
Are you sure she gets calcium rich diet? During the time, give her whatever calciumrich she accepts (low calcium can give weak labor).

She hadnt not began visible labor?? Vagina beginning to open and strains??
If not, the standard advice is to continue and wait... Do observe, but continue. And rub belly; its nice and a good massage too.

But if you do have access to an experienced cat obstetrician, do consult himher...

Im saying experienced; someone less experienced may perhaps do what is expected, and make a cesarean... Cesarean is good for saving momma, but they are often disastrous for the kittens, esp if they are still premature...

So, touchy... If she hasnt began labor, and doesnt is in distress nor having visible problems, I will recommend to observe but wait...

IF you have access to a good obstetrician (not any random vet) you can play it safe and consult.

Good luck!

D Dreamm1e

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dreamm1e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it’s normal so I wasn’t too worried however her normal temp is 101 so the temp was what was worrying me

Dreamm1e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And yes, I can take additional recent pics if you’d like but it has significantly dropped in the last day or two(her stomach) No Visible Labor, and she gets a mix of three different high quality kitten foods

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’ll go into labor soon; just be patient. No need to continue taking her temperature rectally. The kittens will come when her body is ready. It’s not unusual for milk to come in a week or so early. Many cats go 65-68 days. Unless she is in distress continue to wait it out. Better for the kittens too!

Dreamm1e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are my 4 baby girls born last night/ this morning. Everyone seems to be healthy for the most part but the kittens seem to be having an issue finding moms nipples. I’ve only seen them nurse once or twice off of her since birth, they look for the nipples but have a hard time finding them, hoping this improves over the next couple days. I’ve been supplementing feeding colostrum every 2 hours. Kittens have all gained at least 10 grams in less than 12 hours so think we’re doing good(I’m very experienced with tube feeding and chose that route). I’ve been weighing them regularly after feedings.(smallest was born at 82gs, largest at 107gs) Mom is keeping them warm and cuddling with them as well. As of right now the plan of action is continue supplemental feedings, put goat milk/kmr on moms tests to entice babies, and hopefully everyone will be nursing from mom in the next week

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its a big relief to know these are small sphynxes....

A non sphynx new born kittens being naked isnt not good.... But HERE its verrry good! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like all is well. Do put them to nipples to see if they will latch. With tube feeding, if their bellies are full, they will not seek a nipple as often. Perhaps they need this boost just for a few days and will begin nursing as soon as they are strong enough. Weights under 90 grams are low, but they sound healthy. Keep a heating pad set on low under a blanket for them with room to move off if they get too warm. You probably already know that kittens cannot regulate their own body temps for 3 weeks after birth.