Speeding up cat introductions?

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, folks! We are possibly adopting a third kitty and are currently doing a trial visit via the foster family before confirming his adoption. We brought him home last night (Thursday) and only have until early Sunday morning to see if our other two kitties will accept him before making a decision. I've never adopted a kitty this way before with a trial visit and usually would keep the kitties separated longer before attempting to introduce them. Any advice on whether it's ok to introduce them more quickly if they respond well to each other's scent on a sock and how to tell if he'll be a good fit if they don't immediately respond well to each other's scent? Backstory below.

Backstory: One of our other kitties (Miss Hazel) passed away in December '15. I never imagined myself being open to adopting another kitty this quickly, but some friends of ours were fostering him, he has completely won us over, and the shelter had named him Hazel too (we would probably change that) which was practically a sign we should take him in. :) He was originally found in a trap and earmarked for TNR, but he seemed too friendly to release so the shelter took him in. He hasn't been fixed yet (he'll be neutered this Sunday) because he had a respiratory infection he needed to recover from first. He's still finishing out his meds but is doing well now. My friends took him in to foster him while he recovered from his infection, which is how we met him.

It's had only been a little more than two months since Miss Hazel passed away, and her passing was rather dramatic. One of our kitties was her littermate, and he still occasionally seems to sniff around looking for her. Since our other two kitties have only just adjusted to her being gone and since all three cats would now be males, I'm a bit worried the newbie won't have a warm welcome from the resident cats. So we were given this trial visit to see how he manages before committing.

So far, we have the newbie in a separate room, have made sure to spend time with all of them last night, and gave them their food on each side of the door so that they could smell each other while doing something pleasant. Next step will be rubbing their respective scents on socks, exchanging the socks, and seeing how they react.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you find a way to make cats do things according to their human slaves' schedule, please let us know. You'd save us all a lot of headaches. Never have I heard of cats accepting a newcomer that fast, no matter what was done. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitty Miss Hazel :(

I don't know of anything more you can do to speed up the introduction than what you are doing. Cats just won't be rushed, ever. Can they let you have the kitty another week before you decide?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
With cats, you never know.  My Wesley accepted every newcomer with complete equanimity and with one exception, they seemed to respond to his calm presence.  I didn't know about introductions at the time and just let them all be together from the beginning.   Even the one exception, Milo, eventually made friends with Wesley.  Milo had not been neutered yet when I brought him home, however, and I'm wondering if that had something to do with his initial hostility.  The fact that Hazel has not been neutered would cause me to proceed with caution, since your other two cats are male.

I agree with Ginny.  Is there anyway you can get more time for a complete set of introductions?  A few days really isn't enough time to know how things will eventually work out.  The new Hazel might be a perfect fit for your home, given time.

I remember reading your thread about your first Hazel.  It was such a sad situation.  I hope this works out for everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Ginny and @Margd - thanks so much for your kind response and advice! I will ask if we can continue the trial visit after his Sunday surgery (for neutering). That's a good idea, and they definitely might be more accepting after he has been neutered. We'll want to make sure he has enough time post surgery to recover before attempting introductions of course.

We'd really love to give this kitty a good home, but we also don't want to upset the balance with our other two older cats, especially after everything they've just been through. I've read that older cats are sometimes more accepting of younger cats, so I'm crossing my fingers that will be the case here too. The shelter is guessing the new is somewhere between 1 and 2 years old, although they can't be sure. Of our current cats, Phantom is 11.5 and Scouty will be 10 around March/April (not sure exactly when he was born).

Margd, thanks for your kind thoughts on Miss Hazel! That was a pretty difficult time for our family. We definitely miss her. I'll never forget her musical trills. :)

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Cinqchats - it's not about our (the humans') schedules. :) We are trying to maintain the right balance of doing the right thing by our older resident cats who already experienced some upheaval just a little more than 2 months ago and possibly helping a new kitty find a safe, loving home.

I was reaching out to this lovely community to find out if anyone had attempted earlier introductions before and if it was safe (I've always gone the longer introductory period route before) and, if not, what advice folks might have for assessing whether the new kitty would be a good fit with our resident cats.

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for the advice everyone! We decided to go ahead and adopt him! He was neutered yesterday and seems to be recovering nicely. We'll hopefully finalize the adoption this weekend.

We tried to keep them separated but the little fella is quite squirrelly and ended up escaping more than once. The other two had previously responded positively and inquisitively to his scent. Our cat Scouty seemed to accept him almost immediately upon meeting him. Our cat Phantom growled and hissed when he escaped but didn't swipe at him or anything. We definitely need to maintain keeping the newbie separated for longer so they all adjust, but we felt there were positive signs all around. :)

The little guy is super chill:

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new family member!  He's adorable - no wonder you fell for him.  That little tummy is just crying out for some tummy rubs.  Have you decided on a name for him yet?  

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! We have. His name is Oliver, Ollie for short. We were able to finalize the adoption this past weekend, and he's actually doing really well with our other two cats. He's quite the little ambassador. We don't leave him alone with them yet when we're not there, but our oldest cat Phantom (and the one more wary since everything happened with Hazel) allowed the little guy to clean his tail. I was pretty surprised. Yay!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Oliver (Ollie) is a great name and it really fits him!  I'm so glad things are working out so well.  It looks like Phantom (another great name, btw) is going to be a happy boy, as well.