Speckled skin flakes when I comb cat (sorry it's alittle gross).WTH is going on?

Michelle ZipDot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, Our 7 year old short haired tabby started developing itchy skin and ears late last year- she was diagnosed with dermatitis, chin acne, and also somehow-related, recurring ear infections. We had skin allergy tests done and have been giving her immunotherapy shots on schedule since 12/2020. Sadly, haven't really seen any improvement yet although her symptoms do come and go. We're also giving her Atopica for itching every couple of days and shampooing the affected area (neck, chin) with DermaBenSs, treating with Triple action mousse and have had her on two courses of antibiotics for the ear infections that keep coming back. When I comb her w a flea comb while applying skin treatments/shampoos, so much comes out in the comb- black flecks, dry skin and sometimes the weird speckly-looking flakes pictured here. It occurred to me to take photos and put it out there to see if anyone else has seen this and what it might mean (emailed dermatologist too; waiting to hear back. Thank you!

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget that, if you are applying medications and preparations to her skin and fur, some or all of that stuff is going to dry up and flake off as you groom her.

The flakes you see might be the dried up remains of all the medicants you have been using on her.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is flaking skin, the black specs, I'm going to assume, is where the pores/hair follicles of the skin are. The mix of dirt, natural oils and possibly the medication/ointments could leave dark dots where the pores of the skin are. When the oils of the skin and dead skin cells mix and meet with oxygen, it turns black. Again, I'm just guessing but it makes sense in my head...for whatever that's worth! LOL!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Michelle ZipDot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't forget that, if you are applying medications and preparations to her skin and fur, some or all of that stuff is going to dry up and flake off as you groom her.

The flakes you see might be the dried up remains of all the medicants you have been using on her.
Thank you!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My overweight cat is unable to groom her back so I brush her every couple days, and although I don't see skin flakes that big, they do sometimes have that little black pore dot.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to double post, just wanted to add -- if you live somewhere where it gets cold and don't have a humidifier in use, I definitely recommend getting one (if possible, 1 for each large room the cat spends a lot of time in). When it started getting cold here, her flakes got much worse, but it definitely helps to have the humidifiers running.