Special treats when you were a kid?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Homemade waffles, homemade chicken nugget type things but they were ten times better than any restaurant, homemade pies, french fries, fried okra, and ice cream made at home, and plenty of store bought junky foods. There was this one taco place that I pretty much ate about every day and loved their hot sauce from a young age. I have fond food memories of my childhood.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

...I also remember going to the A&W for a root beer in an ice cold glass mug.
Yes! One of my uncles in Ohio actually owned an A&W at one time. Free floats when we visited every summer... what more could a kid ask?

Originally Posted by LDG

...You know, I've never had a rootbeer float? I think I'll have to correct that!
Laurie, to get properly initiated, you have to make your first float yourself: after you put the ice cream in the glass, put the glass and the bottle of root beer in the freezer for five minutes. That makes them so cold that when you pour in the root beer, it forms a thin glaze of frozen root beer over the ice cream. Now that's float greatness!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
As much as I'd like to say that we never had a lot of junk food, that wasn't the case. There were always snack foods in the cabinets. Pepsi in the fridge. Mom baked cakes and cupcakes often. Thankfully I was never overweight when I was young, probably because I was always outside on my bike.

When I was in high school, my breakfast was a 16-ounce high-octane Pepsi. Made my mother furious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm probably a junk food junkie (or used to be LOL) because I felt I was so deprived as a kid.
We got Cheetos, Fritos, and Chips (with dip!) on New Year's.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

You know, I've never had a rootbeer float? I think I'll have to correct that!
Laurie - you MUST make yourself a root beer float! Use A&W if you can find it.

I just read 2 of you had root beer floats made with A&W root beer. Those were the best!!

I guess the other treat we had was when we were on family vacations. We always drove to interesting places around the country and camped the entire way. Most meals were cooked on the camp stove. But about once a year, we'd pass by an A&W and we'd all beg for dad to stop. I can still recite the standard order from every family member (all 7 of us). Their root beer was the best and if dad was really feeling generous, he might allow root beer floats.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We did the camping around the country thing too!
We never stopped at restaurants, but as far as I was concerned, the camp cooked food WAS a treat!
And breakfast every other day was cereal - which WAS special, because mom would buy those individual box packs? And they had things like Trix and Lucky Charms - "sugary" cereals we never had at home.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...and A&W it will be. I have to pick up antibiotics on Friday, so I'll probably grab root bear and vanilla ice cream then.
I'll obviously report back!

And thanks for the tip Carol!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Yeah, about a tablespoon of 15% - 20% alcohol.
They didn't share the Sherry.

You know, I've never had a rootbeer float? I think I'll have to correct that!
I've never liked floats. I do however love rootbeer! I remember back when A&W had their Drive-Ins and you would pull up in your car, place your order and a girl on roller skates would deliver your order on a tray to your car. We would go once a month and have root beer in an ice cold frosty mug and then take home a jug of root beer. And usually the glasses that came with our meal