Special (?) runt kitten

Bad Cat Star

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello folks, I’m new here and this is my first post. Here’s some backstory: July 14 we found a mother cat with a young female kitten probably 6-7 weeks old at the time, after a while we caught them both and brought them home. Fast forward a month and we start to notice that mama cat’s, who we named Missy, belly was getting bigger so we took both her and the current kitten whom is called Nala, to the vet. Sure enough she was pregnant. September 16 rolls around and we are greeted in the morning with 4 little kittens, 3 girls and a boy. One of them, the boy, is a runt. Just in case mama rejected him we got some KMR and a nursing kit. All seemed to be well he took a few days longer to open his eyes but I didn’t worry I just thought he was a late bloomer. Now to the real question. The kittens are three weeks old, everyone has their eyes open and walking (stumbling? Lol) around but little Scrappy seems to have more difficulties doing so. We’re thinking he might be bow legged since I’ve noticed his elbows kinda turn outwards. He’s not as active as the others. Any ideas? I’m worried about him this is the first time we’ve had a litter of kittens so I worry about everything. He’s so tough and keeps trying even when he falls down. I hope he can make it.
C3AEC47B-C704-4609-A9D7-26C82A486EF9.jpeg
337E3B2D-D461-46EE-A2AE-EA9583E2F520.jpeg
C40AA2B4-32E6-441F-86E5-B2C130546E88.jpeg
05A69174-088C-4449-A96A-A2D5DEE475B7.jpeg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The photos are beautiful but Its really hard to tell anything about his legs because you are photographing him from above. Is he the one who is marked like mom but he's grey? He sure is a cutie. Have you taken them to your vet so that he/she can check their weights? His eyes sure look bright and alert.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can weigh the kittens yourself with a digital kitchen scale. They sound healthy though.

Please post pictures of the grey kitten’s legs. Is it the front legs or back? It sounds like he has a contracted tendon issue which can usually be resolved by taping or splinting the affected limbs while he is young and his bones and tendons are still soft and malleable. It’s usually the result of being squished in the uterus. If you address it now his legs can likely be straightened and made stronger over the coming weeks.

Here are links that address the issue:

Contracted Tendons of the Front Legs: Twister's Story

Caring For A Kitten Born With A Twisted Leg

It is very important to massage the legs and warm them up before taping.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, his legs can be straightened if it is done while he is young. I have a cat with a slight twist to his front legs and he does fine. If it interferes with his walking or running, have it looked at. Since he is the runt and behind the others in his development, it may be that he will catch up in time, and just clumsy like a younger kitten. The only way to know for sure is to see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bad Cat Star

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice and info. I will try to get some better pictures of his front legs. We have been weighing him and he’s been gaining weight pretty steadily. We’re hoping to get him into the vet next week or so (lots of stuff going on) .

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets don't know about splinting and some may even recommend euthanasia. So don't let the vet talk you into that if his legs are bowed, because they can be fixed at this age.

But his stumbling is still ok for his age, he may just be a bit behind his sisters (males tend to develop slower, plus if he's the runt he might be even more behind). So hopefully there's nothing really wrong, he's just a late bloomer :).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have someone hold the kitten and photograph the legs that are affected. If he needs treatment you should start right away.

Bad Cat Star

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it took so long to reply. So I was home alone when I took this picture so hopefully you get an idea. I’m sorry if I’m annoying or frustrating it’s just I have a lot of anxiety so I tend to be a worry wart.
A56EFFCF-9235-49E4-ABF2-BA6A09B157C5.jpeg

So you can see how his feet point in and his elbows out, that’s how he always holds them. He does walk which is more of a stumble but that’s normal for his age and he eats well, he just seems behind in development like some of you said.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the photo, he is darling. It would still be better if you took his photo straight on, but he may or may not cooperate with you.;)

What does the vet think?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are the legs doing? Are they straightening by now? He should not have to wear them for too long.

Bad Cat Star

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they are straightening, still a little wonky but he has been a spitfire and running and jumping is no problem.