Special kidney diet, OK with other cats?

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, and one of them was just diagnosed with kidney disease. I have Science Diet canned and dry food for her from my vet. I had contacted a cat consultant (not a vet) I know who works in a different practice because I knew they sold a lot of specialty foods and wanted to find out if they would be an alternative supplier if necessary. Anyway, the consultant, who knows something about my pets, said that it would be OK if my other two cats also ate the special diet food because they're older (11 and 16). That would be great, because I have been separating the cat with health problems from the one she usually hangs out with when I feed them. They're in an area where I can close a door, although I can generally open it again fairly soon. I have one SureFeed device now, although the special diet cat is not the one whose microchip is paired with it, and have ordered two more, but until all three have learned to use them, physical separation is my only option. Is it safe for the two non-kidney cats to have this food? It seems contradictory to me, since cats who don't have a medical problem are generally not supposed to have any kind of special diet food because it doesn't have the right nutrients. I will ask my own vet, since it's probably best to go with advice from my regular clinic instead of the consultant, although she is very knowledgeable. Anybody have any thoughts?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Someone here will know the answer to this, but initially I would say that you do need to ask your vet. One food....thyroid diet?....cannot be fed to other cats in the household and I don't know if this applies to kidney diets or not.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I read online it is not harmful, but it may put weight on your healthy cats and they may not get adequate Phosphorus in their diet. It is probably best to give them the food that is right for them.

Maybe look more into the supplements for Kidney problems. There is a powder called Phosphorus Bind that knocks excess Phosphorus out of the system. Their are also Kidney support supplements. I would physically separate the kitties to make sure your older kitty gets everything he needs for kidney support. I had to do this very thing with my cats, it is a pain, but best for everyone. Best of luck.
Can I Feed All My Cats a Renal Diet When Only One Cat Needs It?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If this is just a short term deal, it's probably ok to feed all the cats the kidney food, but I would NOT do it long term, simply because these foods are definitely lower in phosphorus (and probably certain other things) that are necessary for a healthy cat to have.