Special diet for my limping cat?

marianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 9-year-old female Maine coon cat.
The vet has priscribed J/d prescription diet, because she is limping. Does anybody have ay experience on this cat food.
My vet has earlier given prescription for Metacam, but I didn't take the risk to give her after what I have read about the medicine. Then the vet recommended J/d diet instead, but now she is limping even more.
Is there anybody who can help?

Marianne

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does she limp because of arthritis? Or does she have an old injury that flares up? Lots of things cause limping, but they all have different remedies. If it is arthritis or old bone/joint injuries, I suggest giving a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement to the diet. It can ease the inflammation and increase the amount of cushioning fluid around joints. It helps my cat with arthritis, and it also works great for my own knee.

If the cat is overweight, helping her lose weight would be a great step to reducing her pain. If the pain is a muscle problem, then anti-inflammatory pain meds may be a good option. If the limping is caused by a condition like Gout, then keeping the cat's diet low in solid fats would also help reduce the pain. "solid" fats are the fats like Bacon grease or steak trimmings that are solid at room temp. Cats do need fats in their diet, but look for "liquid" fats, like olive oil, fish oil, etc, which can be a little better on gouty joints.

Of course, follow any of this advice up with your vet before implementing any of it. I hope this helped a little.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
J/d is a vet prescription food designed to help with joints...

Not knowing what is available to you as I am in the US... look at this site and talk to your vet

www.trixsyn.com