Spaying

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't have any problems after my little girl was spayed. I picked her up the day after surgery. She and my other cat who is a few monthes older usually rough house but he seemed to know she was hurt and there was no rough housing. I believe cats communicate in ways that we don't pick up on. She didn't have an e-collar but she left the incision alone and she healed up fine.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to seperate Missy, Betsy, Baker, Spalding, Spritzer & Scampi because they all tried pulling each others stitches out, even though they all had e-collars on it didn't stop them getting to each other. So you might want to keep an eye on them if you put them together in a room.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a problem with the cats after coming back home from surgery. They never had to wear an E-collar either. I have all my cats fixed at 8-12 weeks. They never really seem to notice either. They sleep a lot the first day and then they are fine after that. Sometimes a lump will form around the incision but that goes away. I never realized it was such an issue with some vets to insist on waiting until 6 months. I don't get it because at 6 months, they could have gone into heat by then. Why risk it? Well all vets are different I guess. I would say get them in now and just keep them confined to a small room to recover.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I was half an hour late at the surgery after having major hassles getting the girls into their basket. They both fit into one basket at the moment but today, they decided it would be much more fun not to visit the vet and play one kitten in and one kitten out i.e. I get one kitten into the basket but as soon as I try to get the second one in, the first one jumps out!

After having my arms, chest and face scratched to pieces (Valentines Day is going to be interesting when people see my face tomorrow
), I gave up. I left Cinders in the basket and went to find a box to put Bella in.

The vet pronounced them to be perfectly healthy so they are being fixed on Friday and being micro-chipped at the same time. I was given the option of having bloodwork done prior to the op - they didn't think it was necessary but said it was up to me. I've said "No" for the time being but can change my mind. Do you think I should get their bloodwork done?

The drive to and from the vets was absolutely horrible
Both Cindy and Bella howled and cried all the way there, they were fine in the surgery and then cried all the way home. Cindy even meowed in a way that I had never heard before and it was rather scary

Anyway, we are all home now and they seem to still trust me despite all the trauma of getting there and back. Bella is fast asleep cuddled into my side and Cinders did come over meowing for attention but has left me in favour of food

Oh yes, and while I was there, I bought another cat carrier

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got the bloodwork done when mine were spayed/neutered. I think however it was more for me than for the cats. A former coworker of mine who had rescued one of my cats, has had animals of all kinds for years and knows a lot about animals never got it done on her young and healthy animals. Here anyway it wasn't a large amount extra so it was worth it for the extra peace of mind.