Spaying pregnant kitten Vet thinks it a good idea

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We once had a mature but small cat have serious complications in kittenbirthing; I imagine that at least the same kind of thing (what would have been the first kitten out got sideways because there wasn't enough room to maneuver) could happen with a younger cat. An early term spay would, of course, be a worst case scenario option, but better than risking the cat's life with a very young pregnancy.

The best idea I can come up with to bridge the time gap until the boy cat can get fixed is the same thing that can be done to keep human teenagers from getting each other pregnant: supervise the heck out of them. As soon as you see signs that either of them is maturing, separate rooms or someone gets crated when you're not around.

I agree that an intentional early-term spay (the mentioned above, letting the cat get pregnant) is appalling, even if it is "easier" for the vet. The vet went to college and vet school for how many years and can't handle a routine procedure in a reasonably normal situation? And the solution that they come up with isn't to isolate the cat until the heat is over, it's to have her make some disposable kittybabies? That vet would not be working on my cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While its not a pleasant thought of doing that, the risks of letting a young cat have kittens (and her being a kitten herself) is much higher for many complications. Do you have $1,000 or more for an emergency c-section if needed?

What if she dies giving birth? What if she refuses to nurse or care for kittens - are you prepared to take over in feeding 24/7?

Its really best to spay/abort even if she is pregnant.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it happens despite precautions, or someone takes in a cat that's already pregnant, that's one thing, and you've gotta do what you've gotta do. It's the idea of letting the cat get pregnant on purpose that I have a problem with.