Spaying & constipation

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now this might sound stupid but, is it true that spaying a cat might lead to constipation? I had this weird notion embedded in my mind when I had a friend in the past who said that spaying a cat can lead to it having constipation - maybe due to the weight gain that comes with it I guess? I havent had experience with it whatsoever because I've only had my male cats neutered, my females are intact.
When I had one of my males neutered, I noticed he is getting a bit constipated here and there also, but I do not know if those are connected.

i'm asking because Im planning to have my adult cat spayed, she's about 5-6 years old. She's always been prone to constipation, even as a kitten and so I'm thinking twice because spaying might make it worse (again, I would appreciate any insights if this is true!)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing that might cause constipation would be immediately following a spay or neuter surgery due to anesthesia and pain meds. But, that doesn't appear to be what you mean.

I've had two cats spayed and one neutered, and none of them experienced constipation in their lives until my last one (now 19+ yo) who was spayed at 2 but is now dealing with health issues and takes meds that can contribute to constipation.

Your cat will be better off spayed, and the health risks associated with not doing so far outweigh an issue with constipation. Since your cat already has an issue, I doubt it will make any difference one way or the other. If you cannot find a cause for the bouts of constipation, you can always give her a small amount of Miralax to help in those times when she does experience a problem.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, because kitties fast before surgery, it may take longer for them to poop after because there's nothing in their system to be eliminated, but they are not constipated.