Spaying at 15 weeks?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. In Sweden (= the big european association Fife) they gets the names from the breeder, and the breeder does register them.
The US is the only country I've heard of that has the pet owner choose the name and submit the paperwork, elsewhere that is all done by the breeder

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems the rest of the world is more orderly than the US when it comes to purebred cats. Too bad it's not uniform worldwide. It makes so much more sense for the breeder to register the kittens and take charge of getting them neutered than to leave that up to the new owner. But it makes me wonder, in Europe or Australia, if one adopts a kitten from a breeder but isn't crazy about the registered name, do they give it a nickname or do they just stick with the one on the paper? Or is everyone so accustomed to the way it's done that they simply accept the registered name without a second thought? Or, maybe it's expected that the cat will carry a nickname in addition to the registered name?

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're free to call the cat whatever you want to at home, most of mine have pet names entirely different to their registered name.
Eg "prefix" Satin Mousse is Anastasia
"Prefix" Lord Arlington is Farley

Some breeders may allow the pet owners to choose the registered name, most are done by the breeder though.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems the rest of the world is more orderly than the US when it comes to purebred cats. Too bad it's not uniform worldwide. It makes so much more sense for the breeder to register the kittens and take charge of getting them neutered than to leave that up to the new owner. But it makes me wonder, in Europe or Australia, if one adopts a kitten from a breeder but isn't crazy about the registered name, do they give it a nickname or do they just stick with the one on the paper? Or is everyone so accustomed to the way it's done that they simply accept the registered name without a second thought? Or, maybe it's expected that the cat will carry a nickname in addition to the registered name?
Most pedigree cats I know have their registered name, and their pet name.  My two kittens had their registered names from about 8 weeks - I got to choose them - but it took a lot of head-scratching to get the right pet names for them.

It's not so common in the UK for pedigree kittens to come already neutered, but the main registry by some distance is the GCCF and kittens should be at least 13 weeks old and fully vaccinated.  They are also meant to come with 4-generation pedigree (or more), and their registration card.  The new owner is meant to transfer the registration into their name, but I suspect not all do.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The US is the only country I've heard of that has the pet owner choose the name and submit the paperwork, elsewhere that is all done by the breeder
In the US, you are issued a 'blue slip' (for CFA anyway) or a 'yellow slip' if the breeder has pre-paid the registration fee.

This is the registry application.  The breeder fills in most spaces.  In my case the only things left blank were the spaces for 1st choice name and a second choice name.  The cattery name was typed in to the name line, I then added the names.  So in this example the name of the cattery proceeds the name.  For mine, all their formal names start with 'Titania'.

This is for a pet, may be different if they will be bred or shown.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the US, you are issued a 'blue slip' (for CFA anyway) or a 'yellow slip' if the breeder has pre-paid the registration fee.

This is the registry application.  The breeder fills in most spaces.  In my case the only things left blank were the spaces for 1st choice name and a second choice name.  The cattery name was typed in to the name line, I then added the names.  So in this example the name of the cattery proceeds the name.  For mine, all their formal names start with 'Titania'.

This is for a pet, may be different if they will be bred or shown.
Thanks for the more detailed explanation :)

My understanding is its the same for show cats in the US. In all cases the breeders cattery name is first (same as other countries) though a breeder may add their prefix as a suffix

The cat them has "of cattery name" at the end

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the more detailed explanation

My understanding is its the same for show cats in the US. In all cases the breeders cattery name is first (same as other countries) though a breeder may add their prefix as a suffix
The cat them has "of cattery name" at the end
Yes, that is correct to my knowlege.  So in this example it would be 'Titania's' and the name, or alternately the name and 'Of Titania'.

Toby's formal name was Titania's Toby Tyler.  I wish I was as creative as some of the names.  I just went with fun Irish kind of pet names and added a last name, which is kind of a middle name. Becauseor sometimes I will add my own last name on when I am calling them or they have done something bad.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is correct to my knowlege.  So in this example it would be 'Titania's' and the name, or alternately the name and 'Of Titania'.

Toby's formal name was Titania's Toby Tyler.
If I had him it would be Titania's Toby Tyler of "my prefix"

Suffixes aren't common here and we also have fewer letters allowed for our names. I did have a suffix on my 2 foundation girls though, managed to squeeze it into the allowed limit by keeping their names to just 6 letters. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deliberately choose a very short prefix to register with the GCCF to give plenty of choice for names.  Managed to get <breeder's prefix> <my prefix> Primadonna for what I hope will be my foundation girl.  Her breeder has a short prefix as well -  both are 5 letters. 

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the US, you have 35 total boxes, one letter per box, skip a box between words, punctuation in it's own box. 

"Section A - Cat's Name - limited to 35 spaces including Breeder's CFA registered cattery name prefix (hope I don't get slammed for CFA registered cattery name by those ill informed, this is straight off of an actual CFA blue slip), if any. Add your cat's name after the cattery prefix, if any" 

"Section B- The rest of the form is  filled out by the breeder.  This includes the litter number, breeder information, issue date, Sire, Dam CFA Cattery Registration number, breed, date of birth, coat length, eye color, sex, color of cat, other characteristics, date of sale, etc.  All of section B must be filled out by the breeder.

If a cat is to be registered with breeding rights, BREEDER   must provide a PIN number, even if cat is being registered in the name of the BREEDER

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get 25, including the prefix and spaces.

Makes more sense to me now seeing how much the breeder fills out, thanks :)

Quite similar to our forms that are entirely filled out and submitted by the breeder.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I routinely get mine done at 8 weeks.  It is so much easier recovery IMO.  Within few hours of being operated on they are released and  after coming home they go right back to being little nuts:) 

I never do mine before 4 months hmm weird will my last batch of fixing got done at 7 mos i couldn't do it sooner and now i need to do S Michael J,J,Z he is 5 or 6 mos old and Mikaela Calley I don't know her age and she mothered 4 kits over a yr ago and don't ask why i didn't get M,C, done long story

bella f

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got my kitten done at 11weeks! she bounced right back! its been 2 weeks!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never do mine before 4 months hmm weird will my last batch of fixing got done at 7 mos i couldn't do it sooner and now i need to do S Michael J,J,Z he is 5 or 6 mos old and Mikaela Calley I don't know her age and she mothered 4 kits over a yr ago and don't ask why i didn't get M,C, done long story
Where on earth are all these kittens coming from?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
on my porch starving to death begging for food
Batches of them? And repeatedly? Perhaps TNR-ing is needed in your area to stop this continual flow of kittens on your doorstep especially as they're starving so not getting enough food in their environment

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Batches of them? And repeatedly? Perhaps TNR-ing is needed in your area to stop this continual flow of kittens on your doorstep especially as they're starving so not getting enough food in their environment
um i took all the cats LOL and i dont see anymore cats and yes multible times in patches