Spaying and declawing

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing seemed logical at one time because after all if a cat has a really sharp claw that means it's going to scratch you, your children or ruin the rug and the furniture. Cats respond well to behavior modification and clicker training. A guillotine type nail trimmer and some practice allows you and your cat to enjoy life. Trimming doesn't have the impact removing a claw and a toe nor does it come with the possible side effects of your cat having life long pain. The expense of fixing a botched declaw or biting and soiling issues. You should avoid any veterinarian that advertises a spay/neuter/declaw package.
Anyone who thinks declawing works should go to a large animal shelter and see how many cats there are declawed and no one wants them for behavior issues.

ignited-red

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know there a lot of places that look down upon the declawing and I'm torn whether or not I should get it done. I also need to get my cat spayed. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback if it is too much for the cat to get both done. Is it too much pain for the cat, will they provide medication for pain, what other risks are there? Just genuinely concerned about the best route for the little girl. Thank you!
Hi there, for me it is too much for all the risks that you will have when you declawing your cat. Why do you want to declaw her? If her claws are too sharp and might hurt others, you can cut her nails every weeks. Or just give her scratcher toy or anything comes with scratcher post to exercise her claws, that way also can make her claws become dull, less sharpen.

It is better than declawing, if you do declawing, your cat would not be able to cover his stools and pee with sand, this will become a frustrating situation for your cat that she would not be able to cover her tracks and this can lead to depression and stressing. Remember that cat is a territorial animal even just only one cat at your house.

Can you imagine if your nails are being removed and you have to life the rest of your life without nails? That would be awkward and you also cannot scratched your body parts if you got itch, it also the same with cats. Some people might said "I'm afraid my cat will scratch my furniture or my family members"

Cat will scratch other person or other animal if it feel threaten, if not, they will do just fine.
That's why you need to adding more scratching post or toys to keep her busy doing scratch without ruining your furnitures.

Anyway, this is the risks that you have to take once you decided to pet a cat or a dog.

If you do spaying, it will be great for your cat, it can prevent your cat from mating and unwanted litters or fighting with another cats. Also prevent her from terminal diseases like cancer or tumor, usually cats that has not been spay/neutered for the rest of their life end up with this diseases and it is too late for the owner to realize or regret. I've seen a lot of this cases in clinics.

Hope this will shed you some light :)

Last edited:

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone saying NO to the declaw. Cats like different surfaces to scratch, some like those cardboard scratchers, some like carpet, some like sissal rope. Some are vertical scratchers, some horizontal. I have always provided a variety of scratching surfaces and owned many cats - not 1 has EVER scratched furniture. You should also get into the habit of weekly trimming your cats nails - I call it their mani pedi apt with momma - keeping them nice and trimmed helps to keep them from getting stuck in carpet or toys.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with everyone saying NO to the declaw. Cats like different surfaces to scratch, some like those cardboard scratchers, some like carpet, some like sissal rope. Some are vertical scratchers, some horizontal. I have always provided a variety of scratching surfaces and owned many cats - not 1 has EVER scratched furniture. You should also get into the habit of weekly trimming your cats nails - I call it their mani pedi apt with momma - keeping them nice and trimmed helps to keep them from getting stuck in carpet or toys.
I'd like to add on to C cat princesses 's excellent comment. If a cat for any reason really hates nail trims, you can go ahead and just trim one nail per day. Playing with and touching a cat's feet when they're kittens will also help them get used to nail trims. Please note that you should never cut the claw by the pink part, that will cause a lot of bleeding.