Spayed

Cf0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was pregnant when she was spayed 3 days ago, the vets told us that it’s safe and she and the kittens will be okay yet when she came home she I thought she looked really slim considering she was heavily pregnant, they didn’t give us any information on this and didn’t tell us anything about this pre surgery. I’m extremely concerned and confused as she was heavily pregnant we was told nothing, not about how long after the surgery we should feed her she didn’t come home in a cone collar either and obviously came home without her unborn kittens. Can someone please tell me if the vets are allowed to take the kittens without permission. My cat won’t stop meowing and trying to pick my other cat up by the scruff of her neck, I’m not sure but I think she’s wondering where her babies are. Really upsetting that they was ripped away from her

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat was pregnant when she was spayed 3 days ago, the vets told us that it’s safe and she and the kittens will be okay yet when she came home she I thought she looked really slim considering she was heavily pregnant, they didn’t give us any information on this and didn’t tell us anything about this pre surgery. I’m extremely concerned and confused as she was heavily pregnant we was told nothing, not about how long after the surgery we should feed her she didn’t come home in a cone collar either and obviously came home without her unborn kittens. Can someone please tell me if the vets are allowed to take the kittens without permission. My cat won’t stop meowing and trying to pick my other cat up by the scruff of her neck, I’m not sure but I think she’s wondering where her babies are. Really upsetting that they was ripped away from her
So they EITHER did a spay and late abort - not the most common; most find it unpleasant even unethical; but if they thought it was your wish, its entirely possible they did... Not nice, but unlike human babies, kittens cant survive if cut out too early / born more than a 4 days too early.

OR if the vet tells you the kittens are ok, so I think she has simply dropped... Ie kittens are now laying in the birthing positions, the birth is near, one - 2 days...
And yeah, you wont feel them move as much as earlier...
Many cat owners describe this as she is suddenly much slimmer, they may even be sure she must have already delivered....

Some vets has operating technique where no cone is necessary....

I think its prob best you phone vet or hishers assistant, and ask what was really done...

Making spaying when kittens are still inside is NOT the usual, although I suppose a skilled vet is able to do this....
Spaying shortly after delivery is not recommended but fully possible.
And as said, spaying including very late abort isnt common, but certainly does happens if the owner wishes this and vet agree.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It was most likely a spay with termination of pregnancy, so there will be no living kittens.

Or, was a C-section performed to birth live kittens and mom was spayed during the procedure? If so, the live kittens will need to nurse their mother.

I fear there has been a miscommunication here somewhere along the line. As StefanZ StefanZ suggested, call your vet office and ask precisely what surgery was performed and what happened to the kittens.

Your cat can eat and drink as normal.

Please update as this is concerning!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think I understand now what happened, or at least, gives a plausible explanation...

I think they made a cesarean; and hoped the kitten would be alive and well... Its common when they do a cesarean, they at the same time do spay.

BUT something happened; the kittens didnt make it... If they were premature, or somebody did a fault; or.... Anyway, its quite common cesarean doesnt go well for the kittens.... That is why we usually advice to wait it out for a natural delivery, unless momma is in visible emergency problems.

And they dont tell much, because they are embarrased: they told you kittens were OK, but they died for them... Which as said, happens also on first rate vet clinics, The problem is; quite often if they misjudged the situation and the pregnancy, and kittens were premature.
Human childs are fully liable this late in the pregnancy, but not kittens. A cesarean just a few days too early, and they are gone.

I hope you contact us and tell what is going on, both with your dear cat, and what knowledge you got.