spayed female meowing a whole lot

jalapeno

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I need to ask something regarding my kitty, Jelly.

Jelly is about 6-7months old and was spayed last Nov. 2004. She's the most vocal felines of the group, too vocal in fact, that last night I woke up to her meowing. She has been meowing like crazy. It's not driving me insane, but I was wondering why she's meowing so loud considering she's spayed.

Either her spay job wasn't done very well, or she's just hungry.
After feeding her, she'd still meow a whole lot.

Do you have any idea what's wrong with her? Thanks!

~Steph

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Skinny and Wawa have been loudmouths before and after their surgery. They're only quiet when they eat, sleep or use the litterbox. Well, I can also include the times they play stalker and pouncer. I think they want my attention or something like it because they calm down when I talk to them or cuddle up with them for a few minutes.
I hope that's the case with Jelly and nothing physically wrong with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalapeno

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Yayi,

Unfortunately, she's exhibiting signs of heat. She's meowing a lot, always on the floor with her butt area up. Aahh, I don't know what to do except get her for an ultrasound to check if her organs were removed.

Oh well, so much for low-cost S/N.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sometimes it takes a while for the hormones to leave the system. leave it a month and if shes still doing it go for the ultra sound.

i agree with Yayi, Jelly might just want fuss and attention

jalapeno

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hoohoohoo, she doesn't want attention - she's definitely in heat! I asked the vet who fixed her and he told me they removed ONLY her uterus!!! I was in shock to learn about that- thinking that what they do here is total ovariohysterectomy but no! They just remove the uterus and leave everything behind! So her chances of getting ovarian cancer's still there. Not to mention the howling she makes.

Geez - isn't this one of the main reasons why I want my cats to be fixed???

I will have to bring 3 of my females to undergo oophorectomy (removal of ovaries) and have them suffer again. Grrr. I hate that vet.

buckeye23

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to resurect this thread, but I think Dakota is going through the same thing. Right now she's quiet, but it's only been like 5 minutes.

The last several days she's been extremely vocal, the most since I brought her home in November (So much for being quiet). It's not a meow, it's definitely a howl. She'll howl and howl, then roll around on the floor. Sometimes she'll lay down, but leave her hind quarters up off the ground. She's also "cleaning herself" more often then usual, from what I can tell. From reading this, it sounds to me like she's in heat, however, she was supposedly spayed prior to her being cleared for adoption. Obviously, I'm going to make an appointment with the vet in the morning. I think my diagnosis is correct, does anyone else think the same?

jalapeno

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Buckeye23, yeah I think you should get Dakota to the vet and have her checked, possibly by ultrasound or hormone titre, if that's available with your vet. My cat was checked by the vet and they immediately subjected her to surgery, found out that her ovaries are still intact. If reproductive organ tissues are still intact, hormones still circulate within her, making her feel "in heat". I hope everything turns out well.
Good luck, let us know what happens!

jalapeno

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by buckeye23

Well, Dakota has a vet appointment at 11:00 AM est this morning. I'll post what we find out.
Ok, good luck! I'm hoping for the best!
Let us know what happens!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow but if, they are 6 - 7 months old, isnt back in november too young for your kitties?
My vet reccomended that even 6 months is too young and to wait untill 7!
Because my kitty was already humping things when he was 3 months old but she said it was too young!

jalapeno

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It all depends if your vet's comfortable about spaying them at an earlier age rather than waiting for the traditional age.
I prefer to get my cats fixed at an earlier age (but not as early as 2 months - I get mine done by 4 months) because of the health benefits they can get.

buckeye23

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

wow but if, they are 6 - 7 months old, isnt back in november too young for your kitties?
My vet reccomended that even 6 months is too young and to wait untill 7!
Because my kitty was already humping things when he was 3 months old but she said it was too young!
When I adopted Dakota, she was 6 months old and had already been fixed. The shelter I adopted from will not allow cats or kittens to be adopted out until they've been S/N.

That brings me to the next potential issue. The same group that did Dakota's fixin', did Montana's fixin'. I'm wondering if this issue will creep up on me again.

buckeye23

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, went to the vet. Definitely in heat. My vet suggested that I talk to the shelter to see if maybe I can get another spay down cheaper than at her office. Also, Dakota is running a bit of a fever. So I've got meds for that. If I do go with getting her spayed again, I have to wait for this URI or virus to clear before subjecting her to surgery.